New Zealand is pretty nice..

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
Corrine
Consistently Mediocre

Re: I'll kick start this thread with one of me

Postby Corrine » Sun May 31, 2009 7:23 pm

Wow! Very impressive Faith! I wouldn't be up there in a million years. (Afraid of heights, or actually, I'm not afraid of "heights", I'm afraid of FALLING from heights!) I wonder who was the first person that thought that was a good idea? Okay, lets strap some bungies on our ankles, and then we'll JUMP off this massively high bridge. I always wondered how people who bungee jumped got down, so now I know. Anyway, thanks so much for sharing! Pics were great too. If you have more, I'd love to see them. BTW, what is zorbing?

ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Sun May 31, 2009 7:28 pm

Excellent pics and video - am so impressed being also scared of falling from heights.
What's the story with the trout?!
It's a psychological analogy

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Sun May 31, 2009 8:24 pm

Corrine: See Laura's link for info on zorbing :wink: It looks like massive fun :D
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Postby Faith » Sun May 31, 2009 8:27 pm

Gore is the world capital of brown trout fishing apparently. So they decided to build a huge statue in it's honor, I guess. lol A lot of the NZ towns were like that always the capital of something with a huge statue dedicated to it. That's one of the reasons why I think the Bus Driver's song is so funny. They really do say things like that. "If you will look over to your right, that's the house I spent the summer in when I was 9." or "That's my favorite bridge in all of NZ." It's completely random. Also I found out later our bus driver Grant was a fan of the guys. He was always too lazy to count and make sure that everyone was on the bus, so he would yell "Does everyone have their bus buddies? Justin? Present! Grant? Present!" and everyone would yell at whoever their buddy was. It was our version of the band meeting roll call. The whole bus would do it. It made me laugh every time.

Here are my Zorb pics, you can see the album here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... a8c99010a0

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Sun May 31, 2009 8:31 pm

Nice! The scenery reminds me of the Teletubbies:) I sort of expected some giant Tinky Winky to come running after the zorb.

The bus experience sounds hilarious! :lol:
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

songbird
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby songbird » Sun May 31, 2009 9:20 pm

biscuit wrote:Nice! The scenery reminds me of the Teletubbies:) I sort of expected some giant Tinky Winky to come running after the zorb.

:roll2:
It's true!!
"We're addressing the issues but we're keeping it funky."

Image Image

Corrine
Consistently Mediocre

Postby Corrine » Sun May 31, 2009 10:47 pm

Thanks for the zorbing link Laura and Faith, what interesting pictures! Was there water inside that thing or something? That's one of the weirdest things I've ever seen! Never heard of it before. And YES Biscuit, it does look like Teletubbies land! I don't know if I would try zorbing, it looks like it would make you quite dizzy. I'm a total sissy when it comes to extreme sport type things. I don't even like getting on rollercoasters. The ironic thing about it is I'm a big skier, and can literally ski anything, double black diamonds...no problem. Probably because my parents strapped skis on my feet when I was 2, so skiing seems "normal" to me. But anything else, I have a bit of a fear of the unknown. I wish I didn't though, it must be nice to be able to have all those adventures. What kind of tour did you go on? Was it some kind of adventure tour group?

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sun May 31, 2009 10:51 pm

[creepyTellyTubbyVoice]"UH-OHHHH!!"[/creepyTellyTubbyVoice] :shock: :lol:

That looks like a blast!! Kudos to the New Zealanders for inventing that.
(I'd probably fly over the bump and end up in the street where I'd get hit by a tour bus...."If you'll look to your left, you'll see a tourist- probably American- in a Zorb we've just hit.....you don't see that too often!" :wink:

Your bus experience sounds great. I bet you had a smile the whole time. :)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Faith

Postby Faith » Sun May 31, 2009 11:14 pm

Yeah, my tour was with Flying Kiwi which I highly recommend if you ever go to New Zealand. Their website is here: http://www.flyingkiwi.com They do all the fun adventure stuff and I didn't even mind the camping out and I'm not a big camping person. I did the east coast of the North Island and the entire South Island with them and it was a fantastic trip. I met a lot of great people and did all kinds of things like the bungy jumping and Zorbing (yes Corrine, there was water in there, it was like being inside a washing machine), swam with seals, went to the beach, visited the Cadbury chocolate factory, got drunk in the ice bar in Queenstown... good times.

Corrine
Consistently Mediocre

Postby Corrine » Sun May 31, 2009 11:30 pm

That sounds like a great trip! It must have been fun meeting people, and in such an amazing setting too. I would love to go on something like that, I think I would just skip some of the activities (like bungee jumping!) So, okay... I still have questions about this zorbing thing. So, was the water actually inside where you were? Or was it between you and the outside of the ball as extra cushion? I'm trying to imagine if you were actually bouncing round and round and getting dizzy, and water up your nose, etc. If so, it sounds a little unpleasant...

Faith

Postby Faith » Sun May 31, 2009 11:39 pm

Corrine wrote:That sounds like a great trip! It must have been fun meeting people, and in such an amazing setting too. I would love to go on something like that, I think I would just skip some of the activities (like bungee jumping!) So, okay... I still have questions about this zorbing thing. So, was the water actually inside where you were? Or was it between you and the outside of the ball as extra cushion? I'm trying to imagine if you were actually bouncing round and round and getting dizzy, and water up your nose, etc. If so, it sounds a little unpleasant...

Well, you jump into it and it's like this big air pocket inside the ball and then they use a hose to put just enough water in with you so you can slide around. You don't actually go upside down or anything, just kinda slide back and forth. And it doesn't last long enough to get dizzy, the whole ride down the hill lasted maybe a minute and you had your choice of the zig zag route (which I chose) or just straight down the hill.

songbird

Postby songbird » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:07 am

God, this zorbing thing sounds hilariously fun! If I ever go to NZ, I'm definitely going to try it :D Looks like it was awesome, Faith!

Image Image

Corrine
Consistently Mediocre

Postby Corrine » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:50 am

Oh, okay, as long as I'm not flipping around getting dizzy, I would do it :D Sounds like fun!

Faith

Postby Faith » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:19 am

Since people seem to want to see some more NZ pics, here are some scenic shots of Milford Sound on the South Island:

I was wet and cold, can you tell?

songbird

Postby songbird » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:22 am

Wow, it looks absolutely beautiful, Faith!! :D
I'm viry jealous. I want to go SO BADLY!!

Image Image

Return to “Off topic rambles”