Books!

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
MadMax
Top Bloke

Books!

Postby MadMax » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:32 am

What do you read?

I'm currently reading:

The Name of the Rose - Umberto Eco
The Confusion - Neal Stephenson
Neuromancer - William Gibson

Some of my favourite books include:

All of Harry Potter :P
Melanie Rawn's Sunrunner books (*points at avatar*)
Foucault's Pendulum - Umberto Eco
Cryptonomicon - Neal Stephenson
Snow Crash - Neal Stephenson
The Diamond Age - Neal Stephenson
Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
The Dilbert Principle - Scott Adams
Catch-22 - Joseph Heller
Everything Douglas Adams
Everything Pratchett

Umm, plus probably lots more. :P

In general I would probably say I like techno-geek and fantasy books, however I'm more or less happy to read anything. :)
"..you can't take the sky from me.."

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:46 am

I loved Foucault's Pendulum. I keep wanting to read Name of the Rose, but I think it's one I should buy, rather than check out from the library. I have to be in the right mood to settle down for Eco's stuff. Currently, the only copy we have in the house is in the original Italian (the boyfriend's copy).

I've got Neuromancer in my stack to read. I'm not usually into the sci-fi/fantasy sort of stuff, but a friend got me to read Pattern Recognition and I really loved that.

I usually lean toward British murder mystery series. They're like crack for me. Although my current favorite writer is Phil Rickman, who does mystery/supernatural stuff that's really well written.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:56 am

Ooooh, I could talk for ages about books. I'm a reader...yep, yep, yep.
I'm a Pratchett fan, too. I just got Thud! out from the library - I haven't gotten a chance to read it yet, though. :(

Right now I am reading (well, not this minute)-
The Reluctant Tuscan - Phil Doran
Eldest - Christopher Paolini

Some of my all time favorite books are:
Pride & Prejudice - Jane Austen (Well, actually anything Austen, except Emma. She is just such an annoying character.)
Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell - Susanna Clarke
Bridget Jones Diary - Helen Fielding
Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden
The Princess Bride (William Goldman is great)
The Witches of Eileanan series - Kate Forsyth
The Relic - Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
And many more...
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC

Fluffyblonde

Postby Fluffyblonde » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:09 am

I loved "Mayflower Madame" (who's surprised?!), and "Not Without My Daughter" (Betty Mahmoody) was riveting.

I also love practically any kind of biography or autobiography. One of the funniest books I ever read was Garry Marshall's "Wake Me When It's Funny". I was laughing so hard under the dryer in the salon that people would actually tap it and ask what I was reading!

A really fascinating read was "Me and My Shadows" - Lorna Luft. Barry Manilow and David Lee Roth wrote some great ones, too. Luckily, most of them go very fast - you can usually do the whole book in one sitting.

Walter Yetnikoff's book "Howling At the Moon" was interesting, and a quick read, too.

I love to see what you guys are reading - I will try some of your faves for sure!

indigo_jones

Postby indigo_jones » Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:49 pm

This could go under "embarassing moment", too, I suppose, but when I was reading David Sedaris' "Me Talk Pretty One Day" on the subway, it was making me laugh so much that I had tears streaming down my face, and I was making these weird choking noises, because I was trying to hold back the guffaws. (I prefer to not be the craziest person on the subway. Second craziest is fine, though.) I finally had to stop reading and try to regain my composure.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Re: Books!

Postby Sherry » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:50 pm

MadMax wrote:What do you read?

Usually some words.

Actually, atm I am reading nothing at all. Not book wise. I just read a couple, Ben Elton being the most recent author.

I loved the Melanie Rawn Sunrunner books also. I could not put them down once I started reading them.

I think my most treasured books are the ones I have of Oscar Wilde's works. I know he only wrote one proper book but dammit, he wrote many other great works. I can open any one of the books of his collected works I have and read. And I know certain parts of his works verbatim. I can recite passages, poems and quotes. I think I love De Profundis more than anything. And the earlier versions before they were edited back a while. In fact, while I am here, I am going to type my most loved read paragraph or two out for you :)

'But while there were times when I rejoiced in the idea that my sufferings were to be endless, I could not bear them to be without meaning. Now I find hidden away in my nature something that tells me that nothing in the whole world is meaningless, and suffering least of all. That something hidden away in my nature, like a treasure in a field is Humility.
It is the last thing left in me, and the best: the ultimate discovery at which I have arrived: the starting-point for a fresh development. It has come to me right out of myself, so I know that it has come at the proper time. It could not have come before, nor later. Had anyone told me of it, I would of rejected it. Had it been brought to me, I would of refused it. As I found it, I want to keep it. I must do so. It is the one thing that has in it the elements of life, of a new life, a Vita Nuova for me. Of all things it is the strangest. One cannot give it away, and another may not give it to one. One cannot acquire it, except by surrendering everything that one has. It is only when one has lost all things, that one knows that one possesses it.
Now that I realise that it is in me, I see quite clearly what I have got to do, what, in fact, I must do. And when I use such a phrase as that, I need not tell you that I am not alluding to any external saction or command. I admit none. I am far more of an indivualist that I ever was. Nothing seems to me of the smallest value except what one gets out of oneself. My nature is seeking a fresh mode of self-realisation. That is all I am concerned with. And the first thing that I have got to do is free myself from any possible bitterness of feeling against you.'

indigo_jones

Postby indigo_jones » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:06 pm

Just more proof that Sherry has excellent taste! I fell head over heels for Wilde's work my freshman year of college and I've gone back to my collected works ever since. Heck, I even included him in my dinner party!

Kate
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Kate » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:20 pm

Oh, I love books! I used to read two different books a week -- one for pleasure and the other for consciousness, but lately, my eyes have been giving me fits, so I have been reading one, and listening to another on tape as I cook.

Currently, on cassette, I am listening to "The Di Vinci Code", which I had read before, so this is a sort of "re-read". And, I am reading "New Rules: Polite Musings from a Timid Observer", by Bill Maher (which, by the way, is neither polite, nor timid, in case you are comsidering reading it...)

Next up on cassette:

"Will in the World", by Stephen Greenblatt.

Next on the bedside table:

"Guns, Germs, and Steel", by Jared Diamond.

Indigo... "Me Talk Pretty One Day" had the same effect on me! I loved that book.

Max... I love Umberto Eco. It's been a long time since I read "The Name of the Rose"! Maybe I should re-read that sometime soon. Also, Heller's "Catch 22" is an all-time classic.

Anyone here read Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Isabelle Allende, or Pablo Neruda? I am finding that I really love the writing of these authors as I read more amd more by them.

I am also in love with the way Stephen Hawking writes about Physics and the universe.

kneedragger
Half a shapely halibut

Postby kneedragger » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:37 pm

I finished "Paddy Whacked-A History of Irish Mobsters in America", recently. That was fun.

I'm still reading the re-release of "Look Homeward Angel" called "O Lost", but it's taking me a long time cause I have so little reading time anymore.

Let's see, I have "A Killing in Amsterdam" on my table, half way through.

A Haiku book I was recently given.

Lot's of mags-The Nation, The Progressive, Mother Jones and a variety of Motorcycle mags (of course).

Sean
"What kind of rapping name is STEVE!"

Amaria
Half a shapely halibut

Postby Amaria » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:14 pm

I bloody well love Eco, even if he's a bit difficult to read (you know, what with the sixteen languages in the first five pages and all that).

Currently, reading a book of essays by Camus, Catch 22 (finally), and Andersen's Fairy Tales (I'm a sucker for children's lit, especially the early stuff).

Favourites include Tolkein, Camus, Vonnegut (gut-wrenchingly sad and hilarious all at once), Steinbeck, Rand, Brothers Grimm and most of all Peter Shaffer. I read plays more than anything, and Shaffer is my favourite playwright.

And it is so lovely to be part of an online community that appreciates both literature and songs that include lyrics like: "There are angels in the clouds...doing it" and "Love is like a roll of cellotape". Though I suppose one could argue the latter is a brilliant metaphor.

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Re: Books!

Postby Gayle » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:21 pm

Hey Madmax! "Melanie Rawn's Sunrunner books (*points at avatar*)"

I read the series about 10 years ago and had to break from my clenched knuckles to put it down. What a brilliant story!
4 out of 3 people have difficulty with fractions.

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:26 pm

I also love Jerome K. Jerome's "Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog)" Truly one of the funniest books I've ever read. Virginia Wolfe hated it, but what does she know? I'm not afraid of her.

MadMax
Top Bloke

Postby MadMax » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:31 pm

I think I've read them all 4 or 5 times now. Probably 5. (hmm, I need to find a book-reading icon)

I made Sherry read them too. :P

It's such an amazing character-driven story. I've never read anything where I got quite so wrapped up in other peoples lives.
"..you can't take the sky from me.."

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:40 pm

I completely agree - the characters were so engaging, even the hateful ones. I still remember the smallest details from the books, ten years on.

kneedragger
Half a shapely halibut

Postby kneedragger » Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:18 pm

Amaria wrote:Favourites include Tolkein, Camus, Vonnegut (gut-wrenchingly sad and hilarious all at once), Steinbeck, Rand, Brothers Grimm and most of all Peter Shaffer. I read plays more than anything, and Shaffer is my favourite playwright.

Vonnegut was on Bill Maher and I watched just to see him. That's how I happened to be sitting by the TV when these strange and beautiful guys from New Zealand appeared. Thank you, Kurt!

Sean

"What kind of rapping name is STEVE!"

Return to “Off topic rambles”