Books!

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Re: Whatcha readin?

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:45 pm

On 'The Angel's Game' by Carlos Ruiz Zafon at the moment.

It is lovely, even better than 'Shadow of the Wind'
It's a psychological analogy

4everconchordsfan
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:54 pm

Ive just gone back to a favorite that is always a huge laugh. The book is written by Jill Conner Browne & is titled The Sweet Potato Queens Book of Love, a fallen southern belle's look at love, life, men, marriage & being prepared. It is hilarious and does include the recipe for Fat Mamma's Knock you Naked Margarita. You'll be giggling from the beginning, she references the husbands as spud studs, the children tater tots, and sweet potato queens hopefuls as wannabes. She is just so silly.

A little background on the Sweet Potato Queens: (courtesy of wikipedia didnt know how to describe myself)

The Sweet Potato Queens concept has been explained and made popular by a series of books by Jill Conner Browne, born in Tupelo and raised in Jackson, Mississippi, who came up with the idea in 1982. (Browne is the author of a number of books which form the backbone of the Sweet Potato Queen "movement.") It involves a belief in a sisterhood that promotes self esteem and positive thinking, appealing to mostly middle-aged middle-class women. In 2005, almost ten thousand women dressed up in costumes and came to Jackson for the annual Hal and Mal's St. Patrick’s Day parade, proceeds from which benefited a local children’s hospital.

Each local chapter assumes its own theme and designs its own costumes. Some of the chapters participate in parades and fund-raisers in their local communities. There are 5500 chapters in 20 countries.
"they're my celebrities, they're what I care about"

VaiVedrai
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby VaiVedrai » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:49 pm

Ah, the Sweet Potato Queens! (Or their "sorority", Pie Kappa Yamma.) I haven't read the newer books, but I love their humour and...well, reading the recipes. :lol:
If you don't know the answer, change the question.

4everconchordsfan

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:19 am

VaiVedrai wrote:Ah, the Sweet Potato Queens! (Or their "sorority", Pie Kappa Yamma.) I haven't read the newer books, but I love their humour and...well, reading the recipes. :lol:

Another Sweet Potato Queens 'sister' at this foum, that is way cool. The stories are hilarious. Love the recipes.

Is anyone a Chelsea Handler fan? She can get very raunchy, she does not appeal to everyone. Sometimes not even me. ha. My niece (22 yrs old) gave me a copy of her book My Horizontal Life. Oh my goodness raunchy as all get out & so funny. The title is self explanatory, she does recount dozens of one night stands with brutal honesty or a very wild imagination. Either way its pretty funny.
"they're my celebrities, they're what I care about"

Corrine
Consistently Mediocre

Postby Corrine » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:18 pm

The Sweet Potato Queens sounds really funny. I'll have to look them up.

prettyrobyngirl

Postby prettyrobyngirl » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:38 pm

Edward and Bella have temporarily suspended my infatuation of Bret and Jemaine. I made the "mistake" of picking up twilight last night, and six hours later at 4am, I was through it. Such an addictive read.

Anyone else had similar expereinces?
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.

ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:40 pm

I stayed in bed very late this morning reading 'Nocturnes'...quite fancy Twilight though! :D
It's a psychological analogy

songbird

Postby songbird » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:55 pm

prettyrobyngirl wrote:Edward and Bella have temporarily suspended my infatuation of Bret and Jemaine. I made the "mistake" of picking up twilight last night, and six hours later at 4am, I was through it. Such an addictive read.

Yupp. Edward and Bella were my obsession for quite some time as well. It eventually faded...now it's just a simple appreciation for Twilight. I think the obsession ended when I saw the movie for the second time. The first time I saw it was two days before it came out, as I saw the Canadian premiere of the movie. That first time I'd thought the movie to be so good that I was hyperventilating. The second time I saw it was two days later, on the actual release date. After that viewing, I simply said, "meh. The books were better." They always are :wink:
But anyways, enjoy the obsession while it lasts! The books have great plots and are extremely addicting. :D
"We're addressing the issues but we're keeping it funky."

Image Image

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:56 pm

prettyrobyngirl wrote:Edward and Bella have temporarily suspended my infatuation of Bret and Jemaine. I made the "mistake" of picking up twilight last night, and six hours later at 4am, I was through it. Such an addictive read.

With Twilight or in general?

For me, both. I guess I have an addictive personality (shocker I know) because when I start a book and it's good...forget everything else... I just read, or maybe I should say, 'devour'.

I loved the Twilight books. I saw the movie on the plane to Rome and immediately bought or borrowed all four books as soon as I got home! The books were amazing! I was sitting in the dentists office while my son was having some work done and I was about halfway through the last book, when the dentist asst. said "the Dr. would like to see you for a minute." I was like, "Hold on, I've got to finish this part." I was literally reading through my fingers cuz my hands were smacked across my face in shock and anticipation! She looked at me like I was crazy, but waited, then as we walked back to the office she cooly asked what I was reading. I told her and she completely lost all composure and squeeled, "OMG aren't those the best books ever what part are you at??!!?!?!" :D

Did you like the movie? I did, but I agree the books were better. But great casting for Bella and Edward imo.
Image..Image..Image

prettyrobyngirl

Postby prettyrobyngirl » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:06 pm

I just finished watching the movie a few minutes ago. I promised myself I wouldn't watch it until I got through the first book. I am happy I waited, since yes, the book is so much better.

Great casting indeed, but I already had an image of them before I started to read, so it was interesting to see how the movie actually lived up to the movie in my head while reading the book. Edward is truly just dreamy, in whatever form... And I just found out that Robert Pattinson can sing, well. Trouble.

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:17 pm

prettyrobyngirl wrote:I just finished watching the movie a few minutes ago. I promised myself I wouldn't watch it until I got through the first book. I am happy I waited, since yes, the book is so much better.

Great casting indeed, but I already had an image of them before I started to read, so it was interesting to see how the movie actually lived up to the movie in my head while reading the book. Edward is truly just dreamy, in whatever form... And I just found out that Robert Pattinson can sing, well. Trouble.

Oh no. Really? Is he in a band? IRL he has an accent too, I think. Not American. :doh: No, no, no. No room for more foreign hot musicians in my life.

Have you started the second book?
Image..Image..Image

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:04 am

prettyrobyngirl wrote: And I just found out that Robert Pattinson can sing, well. Trouble.

I have the soundtrack. When my Mom and I first heard his song, I thought I would choke to death, we were laughing so hard! I'm sorry....I don't call those noises he made singing....perhaps in other songs he's better but here? Yuk.

Have you ever heard of Jackson Rathbone's (Jasper's) band, 100 Monkeys? Now, they're good! He's not bad to look at, either! (Oh, who am I kidding?? All of them are gorgeous to look at, lol!)

I was in love with Twilight- the movie was quite good but could have been better. ILM did Edward's sparkle?? I was a bit embarrassed by it.... :oops: And where was the meadow scene?? Lol. My fave was book 4. Kind of an anti-climactic ending but I hope she'll go back to it one day...there's a lot of story left! New Moon is lokking good!

Has anyone read her SciFi story The Host? I've heard mixed reviews and since I have a lot on my tbr pile, I'm waiting. :)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

songbird

Postby songbird » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:10 am

LauraK wrote:I have the soundtrack. When my Mom and I first heard his song, I thought I would choke to death, we were laughing so hard! I'm sorry....I don't call those noises he made singing....perhaps in other songs he's better but here? Yuk.

Ya, that's pretty much how I reacted too :lol:
"We're addressing the issues but we're keeping it funky."

Image Image

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:57 pm

I made fun of my sister mercilessly all last summer for reading some "vampire love garbage". Then one day on Thanksgiving Break last year I picked up Twilight because I was bored and didn't stop until I finished it. I had all of the books finished by Christmas, and it only took me that long because I forced myself to only read 20 pages a day...

prettyrobyngirl

Postby prettyrobyngirl » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:12 pm

Oh come on, he isn't that bad of a singer! It's not like he is actively pursuing his music career or anything either- just getting tipsy and singing in local pubs. He is beautiful, has an accent, can play guitar, and is a reasonable actor (or at least on his way)... yes, funny and an excellent voice might be lacking, but they can't have it all, can they? If they did, our heads would explode.

Return to “Off topic rambles”