Books!

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
VaiVedrai
Registered Rhymnecologist

Re: Whatcha readin?

Postby VaiVedrai » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:46 am

David Sedaris is comic gold. Enough said. (And his language-learning stints crack me up to no end. How in hell can you go around Paris saying nothing but "d'accord"? You can't even do that in Montreal... :lol: )

I keep meaning to read Things I've Been Silent About by Azar Nafisi. I was lucky to get in at the last minute to hear her speak at Concordia University; and I simply could not put down her previous book Reading Lolita in Tehran.
If you don't know the answer, change the question.

jillbean

Postby jillbean » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:51 am

kellysouthpaw wrote:Jill that is SO great! I'm more than a little jealous of you :) My ex has all of my Sedaris books and he's like 1000 miles away. And I'm never getting those suckers back. I'm going to have to re-buy them all :( But I really want to read them again. I laughed so hard at every single story in there. The one about when he was a Macy's Christmas Elf? I laughed until a CRIED!

KSP,

Suckola about the ex having your copies...all the more reason to start re-acquiring more for your very own collection! I rarely ever see his stuff in re-sale shops but have seen used copies on amazon.com for really reasonable prices. I am right there with ya on the Elf at Macy's story! Did you know they made reference to it in the Will Ferrell movie Elf? David's sister Amy plays the secretary and when Buddy shows up she asks "Did Crumpet put you up to this?" Love it!

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:53 am

LOL! I didn't know that! I didn't even know until I saw "Strangers with Candy" come up under an amazon.com search for his name.

A professor of mine got me into him - I'd love to surprise him one day with tickets to go to a reading. He has a book of mine that he needs to return, maybe I'll e-mail him and ask to bring "Me Talk Pretty One Day" along with the book when I come to pick it up next week :)

David IS comic gold. He is just genius. I also loved the one where he was learning guitar from the midget and he started singing the Oscar Meyer theme song to him! :lol: I have to go order those books RIGHT NOW

jillbean

Postby jillbean » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:01 am

vmh wrote:Aw, Jill! I love what David wrote to you! That doesn't look like a hamster at all but it's still charming though. I don't remember what I said to him because I get super nervous whenever I meet people I admire but I do remember there being a ton of people in line after the reading. My friend Diana and I bought coffee and waited for a few hours. Right before it was our turn, David got up and announced he needed a cigarette so my friend Diana joined him outside while I held our place in line. She seemed thrilled about it. On the way home she kept saying, "I had a cigarette break with David Sedaris!"

What did you think of Three Cups of Tea? That's next on my reading list.

vmh,

I really enjoyed reading Three Cups of Tea and found myself constantly referencing the map at the front; it forced me to really think about the cultures relative to geography. Greg Mortenson and the writer that worked with him do a great job of being able to tell a story that makes you feel like you are in the scene you are reading about. There were times I found myself thinking about how ironic it is that Mortenson is doing so much for so many but a result of this is so much time away from his family (even when he is home with them!). I recently read a magazine article that addressed this and was put on the Central Asia Institute's site; it's about he and his daughter, who has started a fundraising effort of her own to ensure girls in schools in Pakistan and Afghanistan get food each day.

https://www.ikat.org/2009/05/05/goodhousekeeping-may-05-09/

And how cool that your friend had a cigarette break with David Sedaris! I agree, it is not very similar to a hamster- but I love it! My friend that had come with me had read his work but had never heard or seen him; it took her a minute to comprehend it all once he came out on stage and was speaking/reading!

j

jillbean

Postby jillbean » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:06 am

kellysouthpaw wrote:LOL! I didn't know that! I didn't even know until I saw "Strangers with Candy" come up under an amazon.com search for his name.

A professor of mine got me into him - I'd love to surprise him one day with tickets to go to a reading. He has a book of mine that he needs to return, maybe I'll e-mail him and ask to bring "Me Talk Pretty One Day" along with the book when I come to pick it up next week :)

David IS comic gold. He is just genius. I also loved the one where he was learning guitar from the midget and he started singing the Oscar Meyer theme song to him! :lol: I have to go order those books RIGHT NOW

Omigosh, you so have to check out his sister's book I Like You; it is fabulous and hilarious! I have given it (along with a "f*ck it bucket;" read it and the picture says it all) as a housewarming gifts three times already! And really, while there is so much about David himself that is great he has some serious competition from The Rooster. If you have not yet read When You Are Engulfed in Flames try to borrow an audio version of it; his reading of meeting the students learning English in Tokyo had me laughing so hard I kept playing it over and over!

Yes, order right now!

jillbean

Postby jillbean » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:08 am

VaiVedrai wrote:David Sedaris is comic gold. Enough said. (And his language-learning stints crack me up to no end. How in hell can you go around Paris saying nothing but "d'accord"? You can't even do that in Montreal... :lol: )

I keep meaning to read Things I've Been Silent About by Azar Nafisi. I was lucky to get in at the last minute to hear her speak at Concordia University; and I simply could not put down her previous book Reading Lolita in Tehran.

Concordia University near Chicago, IL? I drive by there daily!

I keep hearing great things about Reading Lolita in Tehran, looks like that'll be my next "to read" on the list...

VaiVedrai

Postby VaiVedrai » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:55 am

No, Concordia University in Montreal (Canada). I heard her speak on a radio show the day before and was surprised to find out she'd be speaking there the next day. I was one of the last-minute-people in line, but it was worth it. :lol:

Ms. Nafisi is a great writer and speaker; I was actually glad the planned interviewer's plane got stuck in Toronto, because it put her more in the spotlight. :lol:

jillbean

Postby jillbean » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:59 am

VaiVedrai wrote:No, Concordia University in Montreal (Canada). I heard her speak on a radio show the day before and was surprised to find out she'd be speaking there the next day. I was one of the last-minute-people in line, but it was worth it. :lol:

Ms. Nafisi is a great writer and speaker; I was actually glad the planned interviewer's plane got stuck in Toronto, because it put her more in the spotlight. :lol:

Dude, I'd much rather be driving by your campus than the one of the Concordia here!

VaiVedrai

Postby VaiVedrai » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:02 am

Part of that street is under construction/renovation, the traffic there can get iffy, and it's a one-way street with a bike path.
There's a metro (subway) station nearby; I'd go with the public transit instead.

SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby SuzyBatt » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:13 am

This is totally off topic but, "Hi Vai! I live in Montreal too!" (well, South Shore really, but ya know, close enough). Wouldn't have thought there'd be two of here from la belle province.

I haven't read Ms. Nafisi, nor David Sedaris for that matter. I should though... I'll go put that on my wish list right now. I certainly know enough people who highly recommend him.

This is quite cheesy but I have been enjoying some nice escapist mysteries a lot lately. Donna Leon, to be specific. The stories are rather formulaic, but what's nice about them is that they take place in Venice. And the detective is an interesting character. It gives you quite a different take on Italian culture from what you get from films. She's really cynical. I would recommend then for a light read. Oh, and also if you like a slow pace. Usually nothing really happens till about chapter 20 in a 25 chapter book. She's very similar to Simenon (lots of sights and food), and he's about the only other mystery writer I read. Aside from Philip Kerr I guess. But that's a whole other genre of mystery.

ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:39 am

helgecko wrote:
ZebraWarriorPrincess wrote:I've got that book too - she writes a weekly column for the Sunday Times over here... :D

oh! I'd love to read that :D
uhh.. where's "over here"?

Helgecko - Embarassingly, I have confised Ariel Levy with Ariel Leve (Other Ariels' are worth a look though http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life ... riel_leve/)

Even when I read the book I thought it was the same person!! :oops:
It's a psychological analogy

prettyrobyngirl

Postby prettyrobyngirl » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:21 pm

Sorry.. I am still lost in the world of Edward and Bella. Only 150 more pages and I will be done the series. It's such a bittersweet accomplishment- So sad that it's almost over, but I am happy and thankful because I get my life back. It has been a pretty sleepless week.

Love David Sedaris. Funniest author ever.
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.

ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:15 pm

I'll try his books out next. Currently reading a Tudor bodice-ripper 'Wolf Hall', by Hilary Mantel (typed 'mental' first time :( ).

Small Sedaris interview in Guardian today:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... aris-books
It's a psychological analogy

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:27 pm

ZWP - that was a great article! I had forgotten about some of the stories mentioned in that article - GAH I can't wait for my copies to arrive in the mail! :D

Neeke
Keeping it funky

Postby Neeke » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:55 pm

kellysouthpaw wrote:
The Secret Life of Salvador Dali - Salvador Dali

and when I can get through those books I have waiting on the roster:

On the Road - Jack Kerouvac (sp?)
Diary of a Genius - Salvador Dali

I really like Salvador Dali's work. I was actually looking at some of his prints the other day in Barnes & Noble.
~Oh, that's not fair...I'm really ticklish~

Enjoy when you can...Endure when you must

Return to “Off topic rambles”