Your Favorite Recipes!

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
Kate
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Kate » Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:03 pm

I just made Sherry's delectable Big Assed Chilli Beef for an impromptu dinner party (I'm making it early, because the longer it sits, the tastier it is... she's absolutely right about that!), and I ran out of regular chili powder, and didn't want to run out to the store. So, I used some Chipotle Chili Powder instead. (A Chipotle is a smoked chili pepper, so it gives whatever you add it to, a slightly smoky taste as well as a mild-medium heat) The Chili has turned out tasting almost like a barbecue Beef! A totally different flavor.

So, if you want to, play around with the seasonings on this. It is amazing how different this tastes from the original! And, it is still yummy, too!

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:02 pm

This recipe encompases many of my favorite things: butternut squash, casseroles, gruyere cheese, and exclamation marks.

This dish tastes expensive.

Heat oven to 350

1/4 c. olive oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
2 tbls fresh sage
1 tbls dried thyme
*Warn oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, sage, and thyme. Heat for 15 minutes until onion carmelize. Pour onion mixture into covered casserole dish and set aside.

1/2 c. olive oil
6 c. Butternut Squash, cut into 1/2" cubes
1/2 c. Flour
2 tbls fresh parsley
salt
pepper
*Add oil to skillet and warm. Toss Butternut Squash in flour, let remainder fall away. Add squash to pan and cook until brown on at least two sides, about 7-10 minutes. Add parsley, some salt, and plenty of pepper. Cook for one more minute and add to casserole dish, layered on top of onion.

1/2-1 c. Gruyere cheese, shredded
1/2 c. and 2 tbls heated whole milk
* Sprinkle the squash with the cheese and then pour the milk evenly over. Cover and cook for 25 minutes.

1 c. fresh bread crumbs
*Add bread crumbs to top, uncover, and cook for 25 more minutes until liquids are absorned and top is lovely brown color.

Serve hot, sit back, and let the adoration wash over you.

:yawinkle:
Last edited by Gayle on Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 out of 3 people have difficulty with fractions.

Kate

Postby Kate » Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:07 pm

Okay, Gayle... you got me with this one! I have a friend who is a vegatarian, and never know what to cook when she comes over... next time she's visiting, this is on the table! Sounds yummy!

I may just have to make this a few times for myself before she comes, just to make sure... :wink:

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:18 pm

Kate wrote:Okay, Gayle... you got me with this one! I have a friend who is a vegatarian, and never know what to cook when she comes over... next time she's visiting, this is on the table! Sounds yummy!

I may just have to make this a few times for myself before she comes, just to make sure... :wink:

Oh yes, practice makes perfect! And I got it out of an amazing vegetarian cookbook called Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone. Highly recommend it. I was a vegetarian for about 7 years. Am a carnivore again now though. Got a grill. You can fill in the rest.

Fluffyblonde

Postby Fluffyblonde » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:05 pm

How many exclamation marks does this recipe call for? Is it just "to taste"?

I also noticed there is no tuna fish in it, nor any noodles. In fact, there isn't even any cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup, or frozen peas, for that matter. I'm in a stove-top stupor...

kneedragger
Half a shapely halibut

Postby kneedragger » Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:28 pm

This one never lasts very long around here.

BAKED FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE

1 loaf of French bread
8 large eggs
2 cups of half & half
1 cup of milk
2 tbs sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground nutmeg

Slice French bread into 20 1” slices. Arrange the slices in a generously buttered 9X13 inch flat baking disk in 2 rows, overlapping the slices. In a large bowl combine the eggs, milk, half & half, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. Beat or wisk until blended. Pour over the bread slices. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.

Praline topping
1 cup of butter at room temperature
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup chopped pecans
2 tbs light corn syrup
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Combine the praline topping ingredients in a medium bowl and spread evenly over the marinated bread. Bake for 40 minutes until puffed and lightly golden brown. Serve with maple syrup, but you’ll find that you don’t really need any.

Sean
"What kind of rapping name is STEVE!"

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:08 am

Fluffyblonde wrote:How many exclamation marks does this recipe call for? Is it just "to taste"?

I also noticed there is no tuna fish in it, nor any noodles. In fact, there isn't even any cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup, or frozen peas, for that matter. I'm in a stove-top stupor...

Hee hee... You could add Tuna, but I would advise against it. As for noodles, the onions are sliced thin, so they sort of resemble noodles. Oh, and yes, the exclamation marks are "to taste". I tend to go heavy with them.

And Sean... I have become hypoglycemic just reading that recipe. Drooool. :mrgreen:

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:59 am

indigo_jones wrote:Butterfinger Candy

I made this recipe the other day, and it is quite good! Thanks, Jones! I brought the candy to work (I could not keep in the house, it would turn out quite bad for me to have that much candy around...) and everyone loved them.

The whole dipping in chocolate turned out badly for me. Never done that before and I heated the chocolate too fast. :oops: I ended up just spreading the chocolate on the top and sides of each bar. Still tasted great, though! :D
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:56 am

It is dangerous to keep around. I made the basic filling and snacked on that for a few days before I finally got around to dipping it in the chocolate! I really need to make up a batch tomorrow to sell at the craft fair, but I'm not sure I'm going to have time. Which is a really bad thing, considering the large amounts of candy corn I currently have in the house! Yikes! :shock:
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Kate

Postby Kate » Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:32 pm

CHICKEN AND MUSHROOM QUESADILLAS
These quesadillas are cooked on the grill. Serve them with salsa, guacamole and/or sour cream.

1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
2 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
4 ounces fresh cremini (baby portabello) mushrooms, stemmed, sliced
4 ounces white button mushrooms, sliced
1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
2/3 cup finely chopped onion
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro (or flat-leaf parsley, if you haven't acquired the taste for cilantro)
1 1/2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
1 cup grated Pepperjack cheese
Olive oil
16 5 1/2-inch-diameter corn tortillas

Melt butter in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chili powder, garlic and oregano. Sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add shiitake and button mushrooms and sauté until tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Mix in chicken, onion and cilantro. Cool 10 minutes. Mix in cheese. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made up to 8 hours ahead. Cover and chill.)

Prepare barbecue (medium heat). Lightly brush oil on 1 side of 8 tortillas. Place tortillas, oil side down, on large baking sheet. Divide chicken mixture among tortillas, spreading to even thickness. Top with remaining 8 tortillas; press, then brush with oil. Grill quesadillas until heated through and golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Cut into wedges.

Serves 8-10, cut into quarters and served as a main course, along with condiments.

Notes: To adjust the spiciness of these, use the chili powder that best suits your tolerance, and add more if necessary. Also, by adjusting how much Pepperjack cheese you use, you can also kick these up a bit. You can use as much or as little as you like, just make sure there is a 2 1/2 cup total.

Cilantro (Coriander) is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, substitute fresh flat leaf parsley instead.

Also, flour tortillas work if you don't like the corn, but the corn is authentic, and tends to crisp up better.

Cooking these on the grill is a MUST... I tried them in a skillet and found them only so-so. However, to make flipping them easier (and to limit the amount of topping that drops into the bottom of the grill), I take them off the grill and turn them over onto my cookie sheet, then put them back on the grill with the cooked side up. This way, any topping lost falls onto your cookie sheet and you can easily replace it.

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:41 pm

Mmm Mmm Tilapia

When I was a child, I liked fish. Then I didn't. Well, now I do again. Who knew? :dunno:

Lemon Garlic Tilapia

4 Tilapia fillets, rinsed in cold water and dried with a paper towel
Juice of 1 Lemon
2 tbls butter, melted
2 tbls parsley, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350. Spray baking dish with cooking spray or rub with canola oil. Place fillets in dish. Pour lemon juice over fillets. Drizzle butter over fillets. Sprinkle with parsley, garlic, and pepper.

Bake for 30 minutes until fish is flakey and super tasty. Eat.

Mmmmmmm.... Tilaaaaaaaaapia.... :drool:

Kate

Postby Kate » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:07 pm

Iagree, totally... I am in love with Tilapia! In my opinion, it is the most flavorful, and most forgiving white fish to cook with!

Just yummy.... :)

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:10 pm

Kate wrote:Iagree, totally... I am in love with Tilapia! In my opinion, it is the most flavorful, and most forgiving white fish to cook with!

Just yummy.... :)

A forgiving fish... awwwww....

Kate

Postby Kate » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:20 pm

Yes.... forgiving :lol:

Ever tried to get Dover Sole to turn out "just right"? One second in the pan or oven past the time it is perfect, and it has a texture akin to sawdust! Tilapia "forgives" a little over-cooking, and survives beautifully. That's all I meant.

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:36 pm

Kate wrote:Yes.... forgiving :lol:

Ever tried to get Dover Sole to turn out "just right"? One second in the pan or oven past the time it is perfect, and it has a texture akin to sawdust! Tilapia "forgives" a little over-cooking, and survives beautifully. That's all I meant.

I know, it just sounded cute. :mrgreen:

Return to “Off topic rambles”