Your Favorite Recipes!

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
Emafer

Re: Your Favorite Recipes!

Postby Emafer » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:13 am

I hope you enjoy!

Here's what I had for dinner tonight. We went to an outdoor concert so I wanted to pack something easy.

Homemade hummus:
Garbanzo beans
tahini
lemon juice
olive oil
garlic powder
salt
paprika
I just threw the can of garbanzo beans into the food processor and then kept adding the rest of the ingredients. I tasted it as I went along and then stopped when it was yummy :D Also, I kept blitzing it until smooth.

Roast chicken salad:
Chicken
cellery
mayo
we had a roash chicken the other night so I just picked the rest of the meast off the bones, chopped up some cellery and added mayo

Salmon spread:
I grilled some salmon the other night and I had a chunck loverover in the fridge. I flaked it up with a fork, added cream cheese and mixed it all up.

Then I cut up cellery sticks, got some baby carrots a few different kinds of crackers and packed it all in the cooler. I really just kind of fancied up leftovers but it was so yummy, fresh and no mess to clean up at the concert!

eejm
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby eejm » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:36 pm

Oh Emafer, that sounds like the perfect lunch/dinner on a summer day. And I love, love, love hummus. I was craving it a couple of weeks ago, but I never got around to making it. It's sooooo good on warm pitas!

eejm
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby eejm » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:18 am

This recipe is DELICIOUS. It looks really impressive, but it very easy to make. It's originally from Cooking Light magazine.

Yield
12 servings (serving size: about 2/3 cup)

Ingredients
1 cup cold water
1 (14-ounce) can fat-free sweetened condensed milk
1 (1.4-ounce) package sugar-free vanilla instant pudding mix
1 (8-ounce) block 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
1 (8-ounce) tub frozen reduced-calorie whipped topping, thawed
1 cup hot water
1/2 cup Kahlúa (coffee-flavored liqueur)
1 tablespoon instant espresso or 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
24 cakelike ladyfingers (2 [3-ounce] packages)
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa, divided
Preparation
Combine first 3 ingredients in a large bowl; stir well with a whisk. Cover surface with plastic wrap; chill 30 minutes or until firm.

Remove plastic wrap, and add cream cheese. Beat with a mixer at medium speed until well-blended. Gently fold in whipped topping.

Combine hot water, Kahlúa, and espresso. Split ladyfingers in half lengthwise. Arrange 16 ladyfinger halves, flat sides down, in a trifle bowl or large glass bowl. Drizzle with 1/2 cup Kahlúa mixture. Spread one-third of pudding mixture evenly over ladyfingers; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon cocoa. Repeat layers, ending with cocoa. Cover and chill at least 8 hours.

Nutritional Information
Calories:310 (26% from fat)
Fat:9.1g (sat 6g,mono 2.1g,poly 0.3g)
Protein:7.8g
Carbohydrate:44g
Fiber:0.2g
Cholesterol:95mg
Iron:1.1mg
Sodium:265mg
Calcium:124mg

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:31 am

eejm, is it like a Terimisu??? It looks super yummy, I'm totally in! I'm going to have to try that for sure.

Tonight I made Spin Art Pizza.

Essentially it's pizza with spinach artichoke dip as the sauce :D There is a place close by us that I think invented it. It's wicked good. So I kind of invented a low fat version and it really tastes most exactly the same.
I made my spinich artichoke dip with:
frozen spinach thawed out
canned artichoke hearts
low fat cream cheese
low fat mayo
a bit of garlic powder, salt and Trader Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute all to taste

You spread it on your pizza crust, cover with mozarella cheese, top with sliced mushrooms and bake as you would any pizza recipe.

SOOOOOOOOO YUM!

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:59 am

Homemade Cherry Fruit Bars

Soooooo yum in the summer. And I used Cherries but you could prolly use any kind of fruit you like. Pinapple is really good too!

Get some of those popcicle freezer molds. They have them at places like Bed Bath and Beyons for pretty cheap.

Get a bag of frozen cherries. Defrost them till slushy then blitz them in the blender or the food processor just to break them down a bit. Ad about a tablespoon of lemon juice and sweeten them with grape juice or white grape juice if need be. (With pinapple you won't need any sweetening at all. ) Then gently pour them into the moulds. You might want to use a liquid measuring cup or something else with a bit of a spout so it's easier to pour without spilling. Leave about 1/2 if air at the top of the mold. Put the tops in and genly place into the freezer upright until frozen. Then eat them! But don't let anybody else know about them or they will gone before you can get more than one and trust me, you will want more than one!

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:37 am

Omg, cherry fruit bars sound so good right now! I'm definitely using that recipe. Thanks Emafer!
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:02 pm

Ooh, I just made healthy popsicles the other day :nod:

Basically I had some leftover smoothie that I put in the moulds and it tasted great :D Mango/banana was my favourite :tonqe:
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:38 pm

I hope you enjoy VMH

Yeah homemade popcicles RULE! Sometimes just use fruit juice but you can totally use moothie, yogurt, applesauce, allllll kinds of good stuff.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:26 am

Anyone have a recipe for a really light, airy choco frosting?

I'm making my aunt's BDay cake and I'm probably going with a whipped ganache....but even tho it's light, it's also delicate (not-so-stable) and viryviry rich.

I have one to try but haven't yet....I have loads of creamy, rich frostings but want something fluffy, not cloyingly sweet and more of a bittersweet chocolate. Just thought I'd see if one of you has a lovely recipe you'd like to share? :eyelashes:
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:01 am

I bet you could totally make a chocolate merangue frosting that would be yum, very light, obviously, and fairly stable.

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:02 am

Also, when you're whipping the egg whites ass some cream of tarter along with the powdered sugar and cocoa powder and that will help keep it stable.

SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby SuzyBatt » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:18 am

Emafer wrote:Also, when you're whipping the egg whites ass some cream of tarter along with the powdered sugar and cocoa powder and that will help keep it stable.

Sorry for the juvenile humour but that typo really made me giggle! :purple:

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:32 am

Hmmm, yess....when I ass things they tend to become more stable.... :hrm:

Heehee! Love funny typos! Thanks, Em!

I have a meringue recipe but it's fluffy-white over a double-boiler and while she likes it, I know she's after lighter, airier. I use this one for coconut cake cuz it's a bit sticky and the coconut sticks to it great!
(I have an awesome choc angel pie recipe where the crust is purely meringue. It it melt-in-your-mouth delish!)

I wish she wanted that...... :P
ImageImage

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:55 am

LauraK wrote:Hmmm, yess....when I ass things they tend to become more stable.... :hrm:

Heehee! Love funny typos! Thanks, Em!

I have a meringue recipe but it's fluffy-white over a double-boiler and while she likes it, I know she's after lighter, airier. I use this one for coconut cake cuz it's a bit sticky and the coconut sticks to it great!
(I have an awesome choc angel pie recipe where the crust is purely meringue. It it melt-in-your-mouth delish!)

I wish she wanted that...... :P

Uhh, I want that! :drool:

My birthday is next Friday, Laura ;) *hint hint*

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:36 am

Chocolate Angel Pie

Crust:
3 egg whites, room temp
1/8 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
3/4 C. sugar

Beat the egg whites, salt, and cr of tartar on high until they begin to get a bit thickened. When they are almost at soft peak stage, slowly add in sugar & vanilla and continue beating until you have stiff peaks. Spread in greased 9" pie plate and decorate the edges how you like- I make it look spiky. :) (You don't have to use all of the meringue if you think it's too thick, also depends on the size of your pie plate.) If desired, sprinkle chopped pecans or walnuts onto the meringue.
Bake at 275 for 1 hour- I sometimes go a bit over as you want it totally dry. Turn off oven, open door and remove after about 20 min, then allow to cool on rack.

Filling:
(This is a double recipe cuz we like a nice, thick slice. Half it if you wish but trust me....this is the shiznit just like this.)

Melt 2 C. semi sweet chocolate.Whisk in 1/2 C. boiling water. (Yes, it will appear to break the chocolate at first but have no fear; continue stirring with the whisk and watch it become velvety smooth.) Add in 1/4 tsp. salt (Do not lessen this amount- this is what makes the flavor!) and 2 tsp. vanilla. Lightly whisk until smooth. Cool completely. (I hurry this along by placing the bowl in a cold water bath.

Whip 2 C. Heavy Whipping Cream and fold in the chocolate until well combined. Try not to eat it as is. Pour into shell, chill at least 4 hours (overnight is better,) and enjoy! My family like it with whipped cream but I prefer it unadulterated.

I call it the better-than-sex pie cuz when everyone takes their first bite, all you hear is a bunch of "mmmmmmmmmmmm...." "Ooooooooooooh..." "Ahhhhhhhhhhh..." :lol:

I have no list of calories/fat but it's a LOT. It's basically whipping cream, chocolate, and sugar. Yum. :tonqe:
ImageImage

Return to “Off topic rambles”