Your Favorite Recipes!

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
Emafer

Re: Your Favorite Recipes!

Postby Emafer » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:46 am

hahahahahahaha that's the best typo I've made in a looooonnnnng time hahahahaha. I'm glad that nobody here is too grown up to just let is pass by :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I've not ever heard of making merangue ove a double boiler hmmmmm.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:00 am

Not regular meringue, like in my previous recipe, but the frosting kind. And I think I'm remembering the steps wrong.....the water, corn syrup, sugar goes in the double boiler and when it's soft-ball stage (I think) you drizzle it into your egg whites and cr of tartar that are at stiff peaks already, while beating on high. It gets very stiff and glossy and it's quite warm when finished- also very stable!

What is your meringue frosting recipe like? I'd love to have it. :) (Especially if I get to ass something in it...) :yawinkle: :lol:
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:07 am

Haha, I watched my aunt make merangue ONCE about 10 years ago. I don'tthink I could do it myself :( LOL I'd need an adult to supervise :roll2:

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:15 am

I'd definitely need someone to supervise my ass :D:D:D:D

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:05 am

OK, this isn't a recipe but it's food related so I thought I'd post it here. A good friend of mine invented a web site ratind Sushi restaurants all over the world. http://sushinomads.com/ If you are a sushi lover you've GOT to check it out. And if there is a restaurant you know of that not on there, you can request they review it for you. Which TOTALLY rules because the worst kind of restaurant to test drive for the first time is a Sushi joint. So they'll do it for you!

ItsAllRyche
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby ItsAllRyche » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:20 am

You know, I am not a sushi fan. I have California rolls once in a while but they are cooked tuna ones.

I went to a party this weekend here in Phoenix. It was cold and rainy here! Yippee!! The high was only 90f and a breezey day. Could not have been better.

Anyway, in light of the weather, bbq' was out of the question, so the menu changed for the all day party. Al, the host, made meatloaf. Different from any I had prior. And only uses 4 ingredients um 5 with topping.

2 lbs ground beef (Good lean beef)
1 can beef broth
1 onion (chopped)
1 pkg. stove top stuffing (crumbled up)

bake until 170f in center
top with spicy ketchup (chili sauce) bake another 10 mins.

yummy really yummy and oh so easy. ( I guess meatloaf usually is, but this just did the trick) There were about 8 people there, and everyone was happy with the chow.

Seriously, this guy can cook, and cleans up afterwards....yeah, he is taken. :cry:

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:35 am

I love sushi but I often don't go out for it because good sushi is pricey. I used to just stick to rolls but my friend took me out to this great sushi place in town a few years ago and I sampled a bit of everything that she ordered. I could have been eating fresh eel for I knew but it sure was tasty.

Anyway, I only see one California review on that Sushi Nomads website.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:58 am

So I think I'm going to be working with someone as his personal chef :D Tonight I served him a Southwestern spinach salad with sweet corn, black eyes peas and a dressing I made with salsa, sour cream, ranch and lemon juice topped with crumbled tortilla chips. Then we had my Shepard's pie and I finished it up with a home made blueberry lemon sherbet.

VaiVedrai
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby VaiVedrai » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:01 pm

I haven't made this in a looong time (a couple years), but this makes a delicious side dish or as a snack on its own. (I found the recipe on foodandwine.com.)

Whisky-Glazed Parsnips and Carrots

Ingredients:
4 tablespoons (2 ounces) unsalted butter
1/2 cup whisky
1/4 cup light brown sugar
2 pounds carrots, peeled and cut into 2-by-1/2-inch sticks
1 pound tender young parsnips, peeled and cut into 2-by-1/2-inch sticks
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Directions:
In a large, deep skillet, melt the butter with the whisky and brown sugar.
Stir in the carrots and parsnips.
Press a round of parchment paper directly onto the vegetables.
Cover with a tight-fitting lid and cook over moderate heat until the vegetables are tender and the liquid is almost evaporated, for about 15 minutes.
Uncover and cook, tossing, until the vegetables are coated in a thick syrup, for about 1 to 2 minutes.
Season the vegetables with salt and pepper and serve.
Last edited by VaiVedrai on Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you don't know the answer, change the question.

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:07 pm

WOW! That sounds AWESOME!

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:21 am

A friend recently asked me about my Eggplant Roulade so I thought I'd share it with y'all. It's SOOOOO freaking good. A few years back we had it at our favorite French Provincal restaurant in Boulder and I said, "I can do this!" So I went home and copied it! My roomates used to beg me to make it all the time. I could never get the plate into the living room becuase they would all come to the kitchen and pluck them up as fast as I could roll them. They are very easy and make a delicious canape. However, they end up looking not very pretty so I highly recommend making the plate pretty if you plant to serve them at a party.

Eggplant Roulade

Roulade and Filling
2 large eggplants (if eggplant is not available you could use zucchini)
4oz fresh, soft goat cheese like chevre
4 or 5 Sundried tomatoes
fresh or dried herbs of your choice, seasoning, salt and pepper to taste
olive oil

Marinade
balsamic vinegar
olive oil
crushed garlic
salt and pepper
seasoning of your choice (I use 21 Seasoning Salute by Trader Joe’s)

Peel the eggplant with a small sharp knife or peeler. Slice the eggplant very thin using a large very sharp knife or a mandolin. You want it to be less than a quarter of an inch at most. Take all the slices and put them into a large container with a sealable lid or a large ziplock bag. Make the marinade the same way you would make an oil and vinegar salad dressing (for a quicker method, use a bottled balsamic vinegar salad dressing), pour it over the sliced eggplant, seal the bag or lid and shake it all up. Make sure that you coat both sides of all slices. Let sit and marinate while you prepare the rest.

Roughly chop the sundried tomatoes. In a blender or mixing bowl add the goat cheese, herbs, seasonings of your choice, salt, pepper to taste and sundried tomatoes. Mix until well blended. If your goat cheese is a little bit dry and crumbly and not holding together, add about a tablespoon of olive oil and mix again.

Preheat oven to 350 F. Get a large cookie sheet or to and brush well with olive oil. Lay the slices of marinated eggplant one the cookie sheets making sure not to overlap. Cook for about 20 minutes or until soft, making sure they are cooked through. Remove from the oven and cool until you can touch them with your fingers.

On a plate cutting board or clean flat surface take a spoon full of the cheese mixture and lay it on one end of the sliced eggplant. Roll up the slice starting from the end with the cheese and lay the roulade on a plate with the tail underneath. You could use a toothpick to hold the roulade closed but it shouldn’t be necessary.

If you want to get fancy you could slice any kind of chive lengthwise and then use it to tie the roulade closed.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:48 am

That sounds good, Em. Do you have favorite dried herbs you like to use?
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:40 am

I'd think that oregano would be good with all of those flavors. That and/or basil. Those are the ones I tend to use the most with eggplant, tomatoes or goat cheese.

Speaking of goat cheese, if you've got a bit of watermelon around, chop it up into bite-sized cubes, serve them over a salad of mixed greens, top with some alfalfa sprouts (if you like them), and then crumble some goat cheese over the whole thing and add a few splashes of lemon juice and some dried basil. It makes a really lovely salad. With lemon juice and the juices from the watermelon, you don't really need any dressing, but if you do want a bit of something else, just use some good olive oil.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:27 pm

Indie, that's sounds really yum!

With the Eggplant Roulade I use herbs de Provence but I bet some Italian herbs would be killer. And for the seasoning I use 21 Seasoning Salute from Trader Joe's which is THE best stuff ever. But you could use something like Spike or Mrs. Dash. Just an all around general seasoning that is salt free really adds that extra bit of flavor that rounds it all out.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:43 pm

Ok, Amy got back to me and said he uses choc chips, sweetened condensed milk, marascino cherries and cherry extract and melts the chips and milk in the micro. I remember him telling me he used the very dark chocolate. She doesn't know the ratios so we still have to wait on the exact recipe, so I went looking online and found one that sounds easy and yummy in the meantime....and uses MI cherries!

Michigan Dark Chocolate Cherry Fudge
2 (12 ounce) packages hersheys special dark chocolate chips
2 (14 ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups michigan dried cherries
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Directions
1~Spray a 13 x 9 inch glass baking dish with non-stick butter flavored baking spray and set aside.
2~On stove over low flame, melt chocolate chips and condensed milk until just smooth. Stir in vanilla, cherries and nuts and pour into glass baking dish.
3~Chill until firm, slice and watch it disappear!

Here's another one for cooked fudge that's a bit more difficult:

http://busycooks.about.com/od/candyands ... lfudge.htm
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Return to “Off topic rambles”