Your Favorite Recipes!

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
Kate
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Kate » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:59 pm

Gayle wrote:
Kate wrote:Yes.... forgiving :lol:

Ever tried to get Dover Sole to turn out "just right"? One second in the pan or oven past the time it is perfect, and it has a texture akin to sawdust! Tilapia "forgives" a little over-cooking, and survives beautifully. That's all I meant.

I know, it just sounded cute. :mrgreen:

Well, this is a site where Dragons can be racist, so why should fish be forgiving? :D

/me
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby /me » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:23 pm

I have tilapia fillets in the freezer and I have never tried Tilapia before. Now I know what to do with it. Thanks!
Ooooh Flight of the Conchords! You're so big!

:comehere: Conchordians Unite! Join the FotC map!

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:44 am

/me wrote:I have tilapia fillets in the freezer and I have never tried Tilapia before. Now I know what to do with it. Thanks!

Glad to be of help! I made this dish for the first time the other night and it was remarkably easy. I had never had tilapia either! :rock:
4 out of 3 people have difficulty with fractions.

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Stuffed Shells

Postby Andria » Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:26 am

I was writing up a grocery list to make these tomorrow and I thought I'd post the recipe for yous guys. :D
This is a pretty standard/mainstream stuffed shells recipe, I just make a tofu mixture instead of ricotta cheese.

Stuffed Shells

1/2 Package (6 oz or approx. 18 ) Jumbo Shells
1 jar (27 oz) sauce - or there abouts if you are cool enough to make your own sauce...which I am not. :wink:
1 Egg
1 package Tofu (firm) 12 oz
2 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons parsley
a shake of italian seasoning

Cook pasta shells according to package directions. Drain.
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Spray bottom of 13X9 inch glass baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
Drain and rinse off tofu.
In large bowl, mix tofu & egg together until blended, add 1/2 cup of parmesan, parsley, italian seasoning and 1 3/4 cups mozzarella - mix well.

To assemble:
Spread 1 cup of sauce in bottom of baking dish.
Fill cooked shells with tofu mixture.
Arrange shells in dish.
Pour remaining sauce over shells.
Top with remaining mozzarella and parmesan.

Bake, covered with tin foil, for 45 minutes or until bubbly.
Allow to cool for 5 minutes. Serve with yummy bread and butter. Perhaps a veggie or two. :D

Not as glamorous as some of the recipes on here (quite the cooks y'all are!), but I think they turn out yummy. Great leftover too. :)
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:59 pm

I'm making Sherry's Big Ass Chilli today and it smells wonderful and I just took a little sampling of it and it tastes fantastic, too. I can't wait for dinner!

Last night I made a white bean and turkey sausage ragout which always comes out really well, every time I make it. It's also quick and easy to do and great for cold weather.

White Bean and Sausage Ragout with Tomatoes, Kale, and Zucchini
Total time: 35 minutes.

1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 (4-ounce) links chicken sausage, cut into (1/2-inch) slices
1 zucchini, quartered and cut into (1/2-inch) slices (about 2 cups)
3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
6 cups chopped trimmed kale (about 1/2 pound)
1/2 cup water
2 (16-ounce) cans cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté onion and sausage 4 minutes or until sausage is browned. Add zucchini and garlic; cook 2 minutes. Add kale and remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve immediately.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 3/4 cups)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 467(20% from fat); FAT 10.2g (sat 2.3g,mono 4.6g,poly 2.5g); PROTEIN 28.5g; CHOLESTEROL 42mg; CALCIUM 370mg; SODIUM 764mg; FIBER 15.4g; IRON 8.8mg; CARBOHYDRATE 71.8g

Cooking Light, JANUARY 2005

The only change I make is to use hot turkey sausage and instead of diced tomatoes, I use a can of tomato sauce.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

specialkay
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby specialkay » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:25 pm

I got this from a fellow Paramedic who's quite saucy in the kitchen;as most of them are very phenomenal chefs...I HAVE ONE MYSELF! :wink:
He allowed me to put his wing recipe here when I introduced him to the guys :rock:
Hope some of you try it and let me know if you kile it and I will get him your feedback, okay?

D-Wings
1 12oz bottle of beer (your choice)
1/2c ketchup
1/2c BBQ sauce of your choice (I use Jack Daniels)
1tsp Sesame seed oil
2tbls minced garlic
1tbls Cavanders Greek Seasoning
1- 6oz bottle hot sauce of your choice
3oz Tabasco Chipolte' hot sauce
1/2c Soy sauce
1/2c Moores Marinade
2tbls Oyster sauce
3 hole limes juiced
2tsp Southern Charcoal flavoring
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all the above items in large bowl and taste to adjust salt and pepper.
Using approx. 40-50 wing minus the tips mix in sauce, let wing stand for at
least 30 min. and up to over night, then just grill over medium heat till
done. An alternate twist is to take the sauce that is left and simmer it
over low heat till reduced by half and use it as a dipping sauce for the
wings.

Cooking has been a passion for me all my life and always will. I became a medic in 1996 and have been a medic non-stop since. The exception is when I took a year off to attend culinary school in Scottsdale Arizona. I am a father of 3 and love to cook for friends and family. It is a dream of mine to own a restaurant of my own one day.
Let me know what you think of my wings!!
*I copied/pasted, so you got this straight from him* :partyman:
I will see if I can't make it a 'theme' and start getting them all to give me thier most cherished recipes in return for memberships (hee,hee)! :waggle:

Karen
"Growing OLD is mandatory but growing UP is optional" :)
~KAREN~

Fluffyblonde

Son of a gun, we'll have big fun on the bayou...

Postby Fluffyblonde » Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:36 am

Here is a brand new recipe (for me, anyway) of a super easy dish - Jambalaya - in a Crock Pot! Can't get any easier or yummier than this one!

In a crock pot, combine all the following:

2 whole chicken breasts, cut into large chunks
1/2 lb andouille sausage, cut into little rounds (maybe 1/2 in. thick)
Approximately 1 cup of each of the following:
Chopped onion
Chopped green bell pepper
Chopped celery
(size of chop depends on your personal preference. Slow cooking will make them nearly disappear if you chop them too small...)
1 28 oz. can of diced tomatoes
1 C. chicken stock or broth
2 bay leaves
1 tsp. dried oregano
2 tsps. cajun seasoning
1 tsp. dried thyme
dash salt
pepper to taste

Stir all ingredients. Cover with Crock Pot lid and cook on low for 7 hours or high for 3. That is what the recipe said, but I have to tell you that it was actually fully cooked (nearly over-cooked the chicken...) in 4 hours on low heat. I would tell you to start checking the dish for doneness at about 3 1/2-4 hours. You will also want to adjust the seasonings. The cajun seasoning has salt in it, and the andouille is salty and flavorful, too, so I didn't add any salt until I was ready to serve it. Even then, it needed only a pinch.

The recipe also says to serve on top of rice, but I found that there was a lot of liquid left in the pot when the dish was done, so I stirred the rice into the pot, let it cook for about 20 min. and it was de-lish. (Make sure you stir thoroughly - the rice likes to hide in the bottom of the pot!) It would have been fabulous with little chunks of potato instead, we thought. Next time...

And you may stir in cooked shrimp (traditional in Jambalaya). We did, but I didn't care for it - next time, I will leave it out. If you add it, it needs only about 5 minutes before serving, just to heat through. Don't cook it any longer - the shrimp will become tough and rubbery. Obviously, remove bay leaves before serving.

This recipe is very hearty and flavorful - perfect for a cold winter day, and will easily serve a large, hungry crowd. We liked it with crusty bread and butter. (And cold, light, refreshing, Jello for dessert.)

Bon appetit!

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:48 am

indigo_jones wrote:
White Bean and Sausage Ragout with Tomatoes, Kale, and Zucchini
Total time: 35 minutes.

1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 (4-ounce) links chicken sausage, cut into (1/2-inch) slices
1 zucchini, quartered and cut into (1/2-inch) slices (about 2 cups)
3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
6 cups chopped trimmed kale (about 1/2 pound)
1/2 cup water
2 (16-ounce) cans cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

This sounds good and I'd like to try giving it a go so wanted to add the ingredients to my shopping list. Only I am stumped. What exactly is 'links chicken sausage'? I have never heard of such a thing here. :?

:help:

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Re: Son of a gun, we'll have big fun on the bayou...

Postby Sherry » Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:52 am

Fluffyblonde wrote:Here is a brand new recipe (for me, anyway) of a super easy dish - Jambalaya - in a Crock Pot! Can't get any easier or yummier than this one!

That sounds great fluffy. I've never made that style of dish but I'd like to give it a go. We tend to find those sort of meals pre packed a la supermarche alas. I guess its only in recent years such style of food has made its way over here to the UK. I'll add to the try and see list.

And good to see you back lady :bighug: You and yours have been in my thoughts.

indigo_jones

Postby indigo_jones » Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:51 pm

This sounds good and I'd like to try giving it a go so wanted to add the ingredients to my shopping list. Only I am stumped. What exactly is 'links chicken sausage'? I have never heard of such a thing here.

Eh, it's a weird wording to me, too. Basically, it just means a couple of sausages. I use turkey sausage, rather than chicken sausage, just because it's readily available and has some nice flavor. I get the kind of spicy turkey sausages. It's a forgiving dish, so use whatever type of sausage you have on hand or prefer.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:13 pm

indigo_jones wrote:Eh, it's a weird wording to me, too. Basically, it just means a couple of sausages. I use turkey sausage, rather than chicken sausage, just because it's readily available and has some nice flavor. I get the kind of spicy turkey sausages. It's a forgiving dish, so use whatever type of sausage you have on hand or prefer.

Ah so its sausage. Hehe ah well. We don't have chicken or turkey sausages over here. Our main ones are pork based, or sometimes beef. Or other weird and wonderful ingredients. But no chicken or turkey ones :? Go figure

indigo_jones

Postby indigo_jones » Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:23 pm

Pork, beef, whatever else ... it will work just fine in the recipe. I hope you enjoy it!

Kate

Postby Kate » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:28 pm

WARM ROASTED AUTUMN VEGETABLE SALAD

1 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, cut into (approx.) 3x1/2-inch wedges and pieces
1 1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges
1 1/4 pounds red-skinned sweet potatoes (or yams... either is fine), cut into 2x3/4-inch wedges
1 lg. red onion, peeled and cut into wedges
2 tablespoons olive oil (more if needed to make sure vegetables are moist, but not drowned in oil)
1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper or Chipotle chili pepper (Cayenne is very hot, Chipotle is less hot and is "smoky", so each will provide a different taste. Use your preference)

1/4 cup chopped fresh chives (fresh is best, but if you want to use dried, cut the amount to 2 tablespoons, and let them sit in the vinegar for about 5 minutes before tossing with the warm veggies)
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray large rimmed baking sheet with nonstick spray or line with foil to make sure veggies caramelize, but do not stick. Combine squash, potatoes, onion, and sweet potatoes in large bowl. Add oil and cayenne and toss to coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spread vegetable mixture on prepared baking sheet. Roast until vegetables are tender, stirring and turning occasionally, about 1 hour. (Vegetables can be prepared 4 hours ahead. Let stand on baking sheet at room temperature. Rewarm in 350°F oven until heated through, about 15 minutes.)

Transfer vegetable mixture to bowl. Add chives, and vinegar; toss to blend. Season with salt and pepper. Serve warm.

Makes 10 servings.

Note: This is a great dish to transform leftover turkey (or any other leftover meat) into an impressive meal.
Last edited by Kate on Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

indigo_jones

Postby indigo_jones » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:34 pm

That sounds delicious, Kate! I've been in the mood for roasted vegetables now that it's getting cooler. I'll definitely have to try this soon!

Kate

Postby Kate » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:44 pm

indigo_jones wrote:That sounds delicious, Kate! I've been in the mood for roasted vegetables now that it's getting cooler. I'll definitely have to try this soon!

It is so good! Last night I had people come home with me for dinner, unexpectedly, and whipped this up and served some cold roasted chicken leftover from the night before along with it (I even had no cider vinegar on hand, so I used Balsamic, and that was delicious, too, although I prefer the cider vinegar for this recipe.)

It was great with the cold chicken. While we were eating, I let a really simple apple crostata bake in the oven, and served that for dessert with some store-bought vanilla ice cream. It was a great meal, and I used up all my veggies and apples, too!
Last edited by Kate on Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Off topic rambles”