Your Favorite Recipes!

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:28 pm

Roasted veggies sound very very good. It reminded me of this recipe.
An original from yours truly. I still don't know what to call it though.

Quantities will vary depending on how many you're cooking for. So I'll just give you the basic instructions and ingredients. Its also two parts and then combining those two parts together

Part A
Boil chicken,(whatever sections you prefer) de-bone chicken keep chicken stock. Use your typical chicken stock ingredients (carrots,celery,onion,garlic,salt,pepper and your herbs of preference)

Part B
Roast tomatoes of preference. I like roma. Cut in halves and season with olive oil, salt and pepper and herbs of preference even some parmesean cheese if you'd like . As far as quantity I usually cover a 10"x13" cookie sheet. Even better is to smoke the tomatoes(I know, I know where do you get those size rolling papers at) in an outdoor smoker over pecan or hickory wood. Time to cook is about 1 hour at 250F. Just let them go slow and get nice and just slightly brown. I know the trained chefs of the world always want you to peel and seed your tomaotes but screw that its the brown bits that make it taste "bitter". Once your tomatoes cool down puree them in your blender and you'll never see the skin or seeds. While your roasting your tomatoes also roast some garlic in some olive oil and salt and pepper, wrap in foil thingy.

OK heres where the combination part takes place. In large sauce pan saute about half an onion in butter just until its soft and slightly translucent then add pureed tomatoes. At this point I will add a little salt and pepper,roasted garlic,parmesean cheese(as much as you like) and a little of the chicken stock. Not too much you're basically approaching cream of tomato soup. Add the chicken and warm it through its already cooked "re-mimm-ba?". Then at this point add some heavy cream and also a few more herbs if you'd like. A little cream goes a long way and it will tone done the acidity and mellow it out just a bit. Then here's the last surprise ingredient, sugar snap peas. Add them very close to the end you just want them warmed through and if you over cook them they get darker and slighty mushy. You want them bright and crunchy but not cold. At this point check seasoning. Add salt and pepper as you like.

So its basically cream of tomato soup with chicken and sugar snap peas. Got it? Now get in the kitchen ladies

Kate
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Kate » Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:46 am

For all you single chocoholics, like me!.............

Chocolaty-est Pudding for One

1 large egg yolk
1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1/3 cup whole milk
6 tablespoons chilled heavy cream
1 1/2 oz fine-quality bittersweet chocolate (I use Scharffen Berger if I have it, if not, and really good bittersweet chocolate will do)
1 to 2 teaspoons dark rum (or Kahlua, Grand Marnier, Amaretto, or any liqueur you like)
1 teaspoon really good vanilla (if you don't want too use the liqueur, add another teaspoon or 2 of the vanilla)
1/4 teaspoon instant-espresso powder (will not make the pudding taste like coffee, just intensifies the chocolate)

Vigorously whisk together yolk, 1 tablespoon sugar, flour, and a pinch of salt until well blended. Heat milk and 3 tablespoons cream in a small heavy saucepan until hot but not boiling. Add about one third of hot milk to yolk mixture in a slow stream, whisking constantly. Add remaining milk, whisking, then transfer to saucepan. Bring to a simmer, whisking constantly, then continue to simmer, still whisking constantly, until thickened, about 1 minute.

Remove from heat and add chocolate, rum (to taste), and espresso powder if using. Let stand until chocolate is melted, about 30 seconds, then whisk until smooth. Transfer to a glass and chill, covered, at least 30 minutes to cool quickly to room temperature.

Just before serving, vigorously whisk remaining 3 tablespoons cream with remaining 1/2 teaspoon sugar in a small bowl until it holds soft peaks. Top pudding with real, freshly whipped, whipped cream (none of that stuff in the can!)

Makes 1 serving.

Cooks' note: This can be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered. Bring to room temperature before serving. BUt, that having been said, do you really think you can wait a whole day to dig into all this chocolate goodness? I know I can't!

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:52 am

Yum! That sounds delicious. That reminds me that I have a recipe for a layered pudding dish (vanilla, chocolate and coffee pudding layers) that is really good. I'll have to remember to post it.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:37 pm

I found a great website... http://www.allrecipes.com

The best feature is the ingredient search. Say you have parsnip, parsley, and rhubarb in your fridge- all you do is enter those ingredients and you will be rewarded with a list of recipes that include those things you have laying around the house. Like cauliflower and a bicycle. You may not want to actually eat the dish, but hey! how cool is it anyway?
4 out of 3 people have difficulty with fractions.

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:52 am

I made this for Christmas since I didn't have the energy to go all out. This will take you half out...

Crispy Tortellini with Parsnip and Bacon Sauce:

Cook 1 lb. Tortellini (your choice, I used spinach and cheese) as directed

Cook 4 strips bacon to a nice crispyness

1 Parsnip cut thinly into 1" strips
1 Carrot cut the same
1/2 c. green peas, fresh or frozen
1 tsp dried thyme
1 clove crushed garlic
2 tbs and 1/4 c butter
2 tbs butter

In 2tbs butter and olive oil, saute garlic and thyme. Add parsnip and carrot, saute until tender and browned. Add green peas and cooked, crumbled bacon. Add cooked tortellini and saute until pasta is crispy. Add 1/4 c. butter and let sit on warm for about 10 min. (to let flavors blend and butter melt).

Serve with crispy bread and fresh cool salad!

There you have it!

Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:18 am

You know I'm so full right now nothing sounds good. I made the full southern menu from scratch today. Turkey,cornbread dressing,corn,green beans,creamed spinach,roasted garlic mashed taters, turkey gravy. The girlfriend made lemon bars and apple pie from scratch. Oh yeah and fresh whipped cream. Its all so much better than that stuff out of a can or a box.

Kate
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Kate » Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:25 am

Johnnyp wrote:You know I'm so full right now nothing sounds good. I made the full southern menu from scratch today. Turkey,cornbread dressing,corn,green beans,creamed spinach,roasted garlic mashed taters, turkey gravy. The girlfriend made lemon bars and apple pie from scratch. Oh yeah and fresh whipped cream. Its all so much better than that stuff out of a can or a box.

And, you're here tonight to tell about it? You must be one hell of a man, Johnny! --- Most guys would need to sleep off a meal like that! :lol:

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:34 am

Johnnyp wrote:You know I'm so full right now nothing sounds good. I made the full southern menu from scratch today. Turkey,cornbread dressing,corn,green beans,creamed spinach,roasted garlic mashed taters, turkey gravy. The girlfriend made lemon bars and apple pie from scratch. Oh yeah and fresh whipped cream. Its all so much better than that stuff out of a can or a box.

drool... drool... drool...drool........

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:26 pm

I was surfing around, looking at random bits here and there, and in the process, I saw a mention of mee goreng, which reminded me that I wanted to look for a recipe. There are a ton out there and all have their own variations, but I thought I'd post one anyway. I might have to try this this week. Probably not as good without the special ingredient. :wink:

I got this one here.

Mee Goreng Recipe #131560
Reminds me most pleasantly of SE Asia, with the most intoxicating smell... Note: It's a stir-fry, so you can add anything you want e.g 1 potato, some shrimp, chicken or other meat, other vegetables etc.
500 g fresh hokkein noodles
50 ml oil
100 g deep fried tofu
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 medium onion, choppede
1 ripe tomato, diced
1 tablespoon hot chili sauce
4 tablespoons ketchup
1 1/2 tablespoons light soy sauce
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 stalk spring onions, sliced
1 large green chilies, deseeded and sliced
2 cucumbers, chopped

4-6 servings

Put the noodles into a colander and rinse under warm running water, or separate according to instructions. Drain and set aside.
Heat the oil in a wok. Add curry powder and onion and stir-fry over medium heat until soft, about 4 minute.
Add the noodles, tomato, chilli sauce, tomato sauce and soy sauce and stir-fry over medium heat for 3 min, mixing well.
Pour over the beaten egg and leave to set for a min or so, then mix in with the noodles.
Add the tofu.
Add the spring onions, cucumber and chilli.
Serve with additional tomato and chilli sauce, and cucumber slices on the side, if desired.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:31 am

Mmmm... Indy, that sounds yummy.

I made Quiche for the first time for brunch today and I have to say that it was ok, but not wonderful. I don't know if it was a design flaw or a launch flaw, but somehow it wasn't right. Will investigate and report back.

Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:41 am

Easy and much better than that stuff that comes in box because you can control how much sugar is in it pancake mix. This will make about 12-14 5 inch pancakes. I usually make a batch on sunday or monday and put the rest in the freezer.

Dry
2 cups all purpose flour
6 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar

Wet
2 cups milk
2 eggs
2 tablespoons vegatable oil
1 tablespoon vanilla

Mix Dry
Mix Wet
Then combine

Don't over mix just mix it until there isn't any dry flour showing. Some small lumps are OK.

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:44 am

Johnnyp wrote:Easy and much better than that stuff that comes in box because you can control how much sugar is in it pancake mix. This will make about 12-14 5 inch pancakes. I usually make a batch on sunday or monday and put the rest in the freezer.

Dry
2 cups all purpose flour
6 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar

Wet
2 cups milk
2 eggs
2 tablespoons vegatable oil
1 tablespoon vanilla

Mix Dry
Mix Wet
Then combine

Don't over mix just mix it until there isn't any dry flour showing. Some small lumps are OK.

Mmmmm... I love pancakes and those sound just yummy.

I like to saute some thinly sliced apples in butter with cinnamon, nutmeg, and a little sugar and add them to the batter. Tas-tee! I got to use apples from my very own trees last fall and it was the biggest thrill of my life. (wow. gotta get out more)

Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:48 am

That does sound good Gayle. Fell free to modify. Its cool using stuff from your own place. We have three large pecan trees. Two years ago it was all we could do to give the extras away this year the trees didn't bear as much in the past. Probably the lack of rain.

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:49 am

Oh my goodness - *faints* Gayle, those pancakes sound de-lish! I think I'll have to visit you and *hint hint* have you cook up a meal! :D
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:51 am

Johnnyp wrote:That does sound good Gayle. Fell free to modify. Its cool using stuff from your own place. We have three large pecan trees. Two years ago it was all we could do to give the extras away this year the trees didn't bear as much in the past. Probably the lack of rain.

Yeah, it's hard to say how the harvest will be from year to year. I'd love to have pecan trees, but I don't know if they grow this far north. I have a pear tree that is making a recovery from being previously neglected. When we moved in two years ago, it was half dead and didn't bear any fruit. This year it was fully leafy and bore maybe a dozen pears.

Return to “Off topic rambles”