Your Favorite Recipes!

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:52 am

My great grandmother had a few pecan trees in her yard. I used to love going to pick them and eating all the stuff she'd make with them, particularly pecan pie. Yummy!

Andria, it was actually an Adi Dick article where I saw the mee goregn mentioned! If only I had some "Bertold' to add to the dish. :wink:
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:52 am

Trust me and I'm not trying to brag but after you make these you'll never want to eat those overly sweet premixed pancakes again. You can also use a little less milk and make the batter a little thicker and use it for waffles too.

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:53 am

Andria wrote:Oh my goodness - *faints* Gayle, those pancakes sound de-lish! I think I'll have to visit you and *hint hint* have you cook up a meal! :D

Any time, my friend! Any time! My door is always open. Which isn't always good, especially in winter! I've got to get smarter about that kind of thing. :D

Carol helped me spend a X-mas gift card yesterday. We picked out a fire pit for the deck... LOVE IT! Last night we wrapped ourselves in coats and blankets and sat around it having dinner. It was really lovely.
4 out of 3 people have difficulty with fractions.

Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:56 am

Gayle wrote:
Andria wrote:Oh my goodness - *faints* Gayle, those pancakes sound de-lish! I think I'll have to visit you and *hint hint* have you cook up a meal! :D

Any time, my friend! Any time! My door is always open. Which isn't always good, especially in winter! I've got to get smarter about that kind of thing. :D

Carol helped me spend a X-mas gift card yesterday. We picked out a fire pit for the deck... LOVE IT! Last night we wrapped ourselves in coats and blankets and sat around it having dinner. It was really lovely.
8)

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:57 am

indigo_jones wrote:Andria, it was actually an Adi Dick article where I saw the mee goregn mentioned! If only I had some "Bertold' to add to the dish. :wink:

*swoon* Adi Dick - enough said (if you happen to remember where the article is located - send it to me later! :pray:)
I was wondering what mee goreng was! Thanks for posting the recipe, Jones. I'll have to attempt it one of these days.

Jp - the pancake recipe looks so easy! Mix Dry, Mix Wet, Combine - so simple! Even I should be able to do that...
Last edited by Andria on Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC

Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:58 am

It is easy thats why when I see people buying the mix stuff in the grocery store in my head I'm hearing NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by Johnnyp on Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:05 am

Johnnyp wrote:It is easy thats why when I ee people buying the mix stuff in the grocery store in my head I'm hearing NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait to try it! Your belief in the healing effects of this recipe are compelling!
4 out of 3 people have difficulty with fractions.

Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:43 am

indigo_jones wrote:I was surfing around, looking at random bits here and there, and in the process, I saw a mention of mee goreng, which reminded me that I wanted to look for a recipe. There are a ton out there and all have their own variations, but I thought I'd post one anyway. I might have to try this this week. Probably not as good without the special ingredient. :wink:

I got this one here.

Mee Goreng Recipe #131560
Reminds me most pleasantly of SE Asia, with the most intoxicating smell... Note: It's a stir-fry, so you can add anything you want e.g 1 potato, some shrimp, chicken or other meat, other vegetables etc.
500 g fresh hokkein noodles
50 ml oil
100 g deep fried tofu
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 medium onion, choppede
1 ripe tomato, diced
1 tablespoon hot chili sauce
4 tablespoons ketchup
1 1/2 tablespoons light soy sauce
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 stalk spring onions, sliced
1 large green chilies, deseeded and sliced
2 cucumbers, chopped

4-6 servings

Put the noodles into a colander and rinse under warm running water, or separate according to instructions. Drain and set aside.
Heat the oil in a wok. Add curry powder and onion and stir-fry over medium heat until soft, about 4 minute.
Add the noodles, tomato, chilli sauce, tomato sauce and soy sauce and stir-fry over medium heat for 3 min, mixing well.
Pour over the beaten egg and leave to set for a min or so, then mix in with the noodles.
Add the tofu.
Add the spring onions, cucumber and chilli.
Serve with additional tomato and chilli sauce, and cucumber slices on the side, if desired.

That does sound good. Although the girlfriend and I scream and run like a couple of 6 year olds at even the sound of tofu. We could like you said sub some shrimp.

As far as the pecans go, Indi I even like to crush them up really fine and add them along with some parmesean to bread crumbs. You can use it on fish or chicken.

Kate
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Kate » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:16 pm

This is for your GET READY TO HURL file.... I can't believe I just got this offof Epicurious.com!

Cooking with Twinkies: Try This Yummy Recipe
Dateline: Kitchens nationwide

Chances are you've had a Twinkie. But have you had a Twinkie burrito? A Twinkie banana split? Or, heaven help us, Pigs in a Twinkie?

You can now, because there's a new book that contains all these recipes. Last year the Interstate Bakeries Corporation, makers of Hostess Twinkies, put out a call for recipes to celebrate the 75th anniversary of their iconic snack cake. They tested them and chose 50 of the best to be in The Twinkies Cookbook, which was just published by 10 Speed Press.

"Are they serious?" I asked a spokesperson for the publisher, who assured me that the company was "serious about the product but having fun with it." Because no matter how much you like these cream-filled sponge cakes — 500 million are bought every year — they are kind of complete in themselves. A glass of milk, maybe, or a cup of tea, but what's with Twinkie Sushi, Twinkie Kebabs, and Twinkie-Misu?

It turns out that fans have been sending recipes to the Twinkies Web site for years, telling the company about the way they use the product to replace cake and lady fingers in desserts such as trifles and ice cream sundaes. With that in mind, I decided to try for myself. I quickly discarded any recipe that mixed the snack cakes with savory items such as chicken (as in Twinkie Chicken Salad), turkey (as in Twinkie Turkey Stuffing) or eggs (as in that familiar brunch dish, French Twinkies). And I knew I didn't have the small motor skills needed to make Twinkie Sushi. Instead, I picked a recipe that I thought might have a chance of being edible or, in this case, drinkable: I would make a Twinkie Milkshake.

The Twinkie Milkshake recipe made a kind of sense: Contributor Brenda McDevitt of Worth, Illinois, wrote that she came up with it because her daughter Sarah loves to dunk Twinkies in chocolate milkshakes. And — surprise! — the recipe worked just as McDevitt said. Everything went into the blender at once and what came out was a sweet drink that was no thicker than a usual milkshake: It had none of the cake sludge I was expecting. I'm not sure that the Twinkies added anything but calories, but the 10-year-old who helped me make it said she was sure she could taste the Twinkie cream.

— Irene Sax

More from Epicurious: For more campy cuisine, check out our Daily Dish on the White Castle cookbook. And for slightly more serious food tomes, see Irene Sax's latest batch of reviews in Around the World in Cookbooks.

TWINKIE MILKSHAKE
Editor's note: The recipe below is excerpted from The Twinkies Cookbook. To read more about the book, click here.

"I created this special family recipe on a whim. My daughter, Sarah, would always dunk Twinkies in chocolate milkshakes. so one day, I made her a chocolate shake and added Twinkies to it. It is still one of her — and the rest of the family's — favorites."
Brenda McDevitt, Worth, Illinois

2 Twinkies
2 scoops chocolate ice cream
1 cup milk
Whipped cream, for topping

In a blender, combine the Twinkies, ice cream, and milk and process until smooth. Pour into a tall glass and top with a dollop of whipped cream. Serve at once.

Makes 2 servings.

http://www.epicurious.com/features/news/dailydish/

Twinkies Cookbook :
More Than 50 Inventive And Unexpected Recipes from Hostess

by Hostess
Hardcover Published: March 2006

In 2005, as part of Twinkies’ 75th anniversary celebration, Hostess put out a call for recipes, asking people to share their ideas for cooking—yes, cooking—with Twinkies. Hundreds of people from across the country responded with an amazing collection of homegrown, creative, and sometimes wacky recipes. Nostalgic, colorful, and a delight for the whole family, this is the perfect book for the Twinkie lover in all of us.

The official Twinkies cookbook, showcasing hardcore fans’ recipes for fun, new ways—sweet and savory!—to enjoy Twinkies. Includes more than 50 recipes and 20 full-color photographs. Features a historical introduction to the Twinkie, complete with archival photographs and advertisements. About Twinkies: "The Twinkie is the perfect postmodern artifact, a pop culture staple."

—Baltimore Sun "The genius of Twinkies is they are exactly what they are—amazingly simple and tres elegantes."

—Jane Stern, coauthor of Roadfood "[The doctor] said it wouldn’t hurt me, so I even ate a Twinkie in intensive care."

Selected Recipes:

* Twinkie Sushi
* Twinkie Burrito
* Pigs in a Twinkie
* Pumpkin Twinkie Bread Pudding
* Peanut Butter and Jelly Twinkie Cake

http://www.ecookbooks.com/products.html ... item=08456

Ugh! Get yourself a bucket, too, if you decide to buy this book. As a matter of fact, it should come iwth a free bucket!
Last edited by Kate on Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

/me
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby /me » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:25 pm

haha! Those recipes remind me of this website. Behold, the Gallery of Regrettable Food! http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/

Especially the 7-Up milk recipe seen here: http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/sevenup2/10.html I dunno. It might be lovely, but my gag reflex would never let me get so far as trying it.
Ooooh Flight of the Conchords! You're so big!

:comehere: Conchordians Unite! Join the FotC map!

Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:25 pm

Kate now come on you know you want that book. :lol: Eewwwww

EvilMoose
Half a shapely halibut

Postby EvilMoose » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:10 pm

Oh man, I feel my arteries hardening just looking at the cover.
To me religion seems like a bunch of people talking to their imaginary friend. - Dylan Moran

Kate
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Kate » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:12 pm

It sounds so disgusting! :sick:

How on earth could Epicurious feature such a thing? It's shocking! :shock: :lol:

On edit: Since they do, evidently, have recipes mixing Twinkies with things like turkey and chicken, I know it may be painful to consider, but who here thinks the Twinkie Sushi actually has fish in it? :sick:

Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:03 am

Even without the twinkies Sushi does nothing for me. Seems like a lot of people eat it just to say they do.

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:14 am

Nooo! Sushi is good. Twinkie sushi sounds disgusting, though. I don't even want to think about it!
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Return to “Off topic rambles”