What are you listening to?

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby tvldiva » Tue May 06, 2008 2:49 pm

indigo_jones wrote:I've been kind of burned out on all my music right now, so I've turned to XM satellite radio for my musical entertainment. I always forget how much I like the different options.

I love my XM radio. Before XM in my car, if I got tired of whatever CD I was listening to, I just sat in silence. I gave up on broadcast radio when a DJ did a "commercial" during an interview with a musician. They just started talking about a product then the DJ went into full on scripted lines. I felt dirty listening, I'm sure if the DJ still had his soul left, he would have felt bad too.

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Tue May 06, 2008 5:47 pm

I completely gave up on radio when I moved to NY in 2000. For such a big city, the radio options were a complete joke. I hadn't been listening much before that anyway. Plus, once in NY, I wasn't driving and that was one of the only times I would listen to the radio.

Now I use my ipod in the car, rather than XM. If I can't figure out what I'm in the mood for, I just put it on shuffle. Today, though, I was in the mood for Elbow's "Leaders of the Free World" CD. Might have something to do with voting today. ;)
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Devastatin' Dave
New arrival

Postby Devastatin' Dave » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:44 am

I'm currently listening to:

Song: Hessian Peel
Band: Opeth
Album: Watershed
Genre: Progressive Metal
Time: 11:25

claire
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby claire » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:15 pm

being a big sting/police fan, out of curiosity i just picked up a cd by sting's son joe's band fiction plane, i kind of like it, it's rockin but not heavy, kind of funky and groovy at times, joe is the singer and sounds a lot like sting (looks like him too!)

Emafer

Re: What are you listening to?

Postby Emafer » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:45 am

Actually I've been listening to the Neil Finn and Friends show from like 2006 I think. There's an awesome veruion of them doing Down on the Corner by Johnny Marr.

I've also been listening to Kasabian a lot, Curtis Mayfield, Bobby Short, Thin Lizzy, Sufjan Stevens, Roberta Flack, The Pixies. I always have something on.

dangerous person

Postby dangerous person » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:49 pm

Currently listening to Clare and the Reasons, it's been on repeat ever since I got it yesterday! Gorgeous songs, well written lyrics and top musicianship, I love it. I can't wait for the debut CDs of their 'friends' bands Musee Mecanique and Orchestre de Chambre Miniature. You lucky New Yorkers have got some cool bands.
"We're a novelty music act, we're not a freak show"

tvldiva

Postby tvldiva » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:04 pm

I just rediscovered Ben Folds Five- Whatever and ever amen. :lalala:
It's been years, I forgot what fun this one is... :dance:
Why don't you accept me as your God!?

aom192
Half a shapely halibut

Postby aom192 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:40 pm

cool uk band called the ting tings...they make we wanna dance :D
Ah Gandolf...I like what you've done with your beard.

We'll never make it...there's thousands of them and only about 8 of us!
Oh no!
We made it.
Hurray!

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:53 am

tvldiva wrote:I just rediscovered Ben Folds Five- Whatever and ever amen. :lalala:

That is a good one, isn't it! I should dig my copy out, too. I haven't listened in ages, but I always enjoy it when I do.

The bass player was a local guy I knew before the band went big, so it was bizarre to see him have fan girls eventually. I remember him when he worked at Sbarro. ;)

I've been listening to The Cave Singers again recently. Quirky, but kinda cool.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

tvldiva

Postby tvldiva » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:08 pm

indigo_jones wrote:
tvldiva wrote:I just rediscovered Ben Folds Five- Whatever and ever amen. :lalala:

That is a good one, isn't it! I should dig my copy out, too. I haven't listened in ages, but I always enjoy it when I do.

The bass player was a local guy I knew before the band went big, so it was bizarre to see him have fan girls eventually. I remember him when he worked at Sbarro. ;)

I've been listening to The Cave Singers again recently. Quirky, but kinda cool.

That's cool that you knew one of them. They were all such great musicians. I actually saw them on that tour and it was amazing live. Of course, living in North Carolina, there are lots of great musicians. I lived in Atlanta in the mid-80's and knew quite a few of them myself. My friends were either musicians or other creative types(ie photograpers/artist). The south really knows how to grow them crazy independant types!

It is kinda funny seeing/knowing someone before they were famous. Years back, right before Fastball made it big, the singer waited on me at a restaurant. A few months later, their video was everywhere! I read somewhere that since his wife had just had a baby, he worked there right up until the tour. That's dedication to the family, isn't it?

rocknout89
New arrival

Postby rocknout89 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:06 pm

i was listening to a new artist named brenden james i think...sounds pretty good

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:35 pm

Mellowing out and getting a bit freaked out (in a good way) by Portishead's Third.
90% evil
ImageImage

poptartgirl

Postby poptartgirl » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:28 pm

On the subject of radio, there are good stations out there. Support your local National Public Radio stations and community radio stations ! Don't be lazy, folks :wink:

Fastball still plays occasionally but the individual members also play with other bands and work on other projects.
On a boring, trivial note, I know the singer's (now) ex-wife. She could tell you a few stories about those days when Fastball was somewhat well-known :lol: .

My not-so-shameless plug for the day is a band out of Austin called Electric Touch. I'm slightly biased since their lead singer is a friend of mine. They've been together for less than a year but they're on the verge of breaking out. They've played the major US festivals such as Bonnaroo and Lollapalooza. Their self titled debut will be out on Aug 26th. Shortly after that, they'll be on the road opening for the Scottish band, The Fratellis. If you like catchy, infectious Britpop meets arena rock, you might enjoy them. You can learn more about them at : http://www.myspace.com/electrictouchmusic or http://www.electrictouchmusic.com.

“We tell you lies, and if you laugh, they’re jokes.”

"all I wanted to say is "May I rock you ?"

tvldiva

Postby tvldiva » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:44 am

poptartgirl wrote: :eyebrow: On a boring, trivial note, I know the singer's (now) ex-wife. She could tell you a few stories about those days when Fastball was somewhat well-known :lol: .

I'm sure she could! :eyebrow:

Devastatin' Dave
New arrival

Postby Devastatin' Dave » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:28 pm

Song: Everybody Here Wants you
Artist: Jeff Buckley
Album: Sketches for my Sweetheart the Drunk
Length: 4:46

Wow! Such a beautiful song.
yo