What are you listening to?

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Re: What are you listening to?

Postby nonchalant obsession » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:21 pm

Pondering today while commuting across town, how thankful I am that there are bastard women out there breaking the hearts of talented songwriters all around the world. Go bitches, go! Cuz I love the melancholy jams.

Loving The Guggenheim Grotto and Glen Hansard right now. :heart:
Image..Image..Image

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:32 pm

nonchalant obsession wrote:Pondering today while commuting across town, how thankful I am that there are bastard women out there breaking the hearts of talented songwriters all around the world. Go bitches, go! Cuz I love the melancholy jams.

:lol: We're sorry boys. But if you cheered up then what would happen to all the beautiful music? ;)

I'm really into Mike Gordon's new CD, also listening to Leo Kottke as usual and I have really been getting into Rodrigo y Gabriela lately. they are just amazing. Also I saw Erin McKeown last week and bought a CD so I've been enjoying that as well. AND I'm going to see Phish next weekend! :supz: :rock: Wahoo! I'm so excited, I haven't been to a Phish show since 2002.

Hey I noticed last night on Amoeba's website that Fat Freddy's Drop is playing at their San Fran location, if anyone happens to be up that way. I think it might be this Wednesday...?

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:39 pm

I saw Rodrigo y Gabriela, they were amazing. Been a fan for a few years. They're such recovered heshers! :D

Hrm. Music is around, but nothing especially is new or exciting.
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:45 pm

mohumbhai mania wrote:I saw Rodrigo y Gabriela, they were amazing. Been a fan for a few years. They're such recovered heshers! :D

I'm so jealous, I would LOVE to see them live, I'm sure it was phenomenal. Ah well, maybe some day.

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:49 pm

They are so not a traditional world/folk act - they're getting people on on their feet all the time, sliding in licks from Megadeth and Metallica all night, and throwing devil horns. They also have a hilarious command of the f-word. It was awesome, dude.

I am bike-cheese!

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:59 pm

Right on, dude. :supz: :lol: Maybe they'll play Cinci some day. That's where I have to go 90% of the time I want to see a show. :roll: It's sad when you have to drive an hour and a half to see decent music. Well, OK that's not totally fair - we do get good music here sometimes and there is a thriving bluegrass scene but sometimes I want to listen to something other than bluegrass. But don't tell anyone I said that - they've only recently and grudgingly gotten over their suspicions of me as a Northerner and if word gets out that I want to listen to music that doesn't involve fiddles or banjoes or dulcimers every so often, I might get run out of town on a rail, lol.

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:04 pm

I know that the Louisville experimental underground has had some interesting stuff. I mean Slint came out of there. My brain is working truly slowly, but there are some cool people making some very strange music in that neck of the woods of late...

I am bike-cheese!

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:12 pm

mohumbhai mania wrote:I know that the Louisville experimental underground has had some interesting stuff. I mean Slint came out of there. My brain is working truly slowly, but there are some cool people making some very strange music in that neck of the woods of late...

+ My Morning Jacket
+ Will Oldham

Ummm, well there's 2 at least.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:19 pm

I remember liking Sister Ray a lot back in the day. They were from Louisville.

I am bike-cheese!

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:53 am

Louisville is also an hour and a half away. So I don't know much about the scene there. For some reason the bands I want to see tend to go to Cincinnati rather than Louisville. And I'm at a stage of my life that I don't go on many roadtrips to distant bars to hear emergent bands. Such is the life of the mom of young kids.

Red
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Red » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:24 am

I'm totally loving the new Them Crooked Vultures CD! They're so amazing. It's Josh Homme from Queens of the Stone Age, Dave Grohl from Nirvana and Foo Fighters, and John Paul Jones from Led Zeppelin. I saw them live at ACL Fest this year and they blew me away.

Piles
New arrival

Postby Piles » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:58 am

Hah, just stumbled across this. Is Slash, Fergie and Cypress Hill performing 'Paradise City'.

http://libel.co.nz/445-slash_fergie_and ... r_it_here_

songbird
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby songbird » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:35 am

The Dreaming EP by the WIUO :rock:
"We're addressing the issues but we're keeping it funky."

Image Image

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:48 am

I was listening to quite a mix of stuff yesterday while painting the laundry room: The Dodos, The Afghan Whigs, Alphaville, and The Dead Weather.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Red
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Red » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:54 am

The Afghan Whigs and The Dead Weather? You're a woman after my own heart, Indigo Jones!

Return to “Off topic rambles”