Seen any good movies lately?

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:04 pm

I just read about, "The Meat Trade" with Colin Firth and Robert Carlyle, about 19th Century Scottish serial killers Burke and Hare...with screenplay by Irvine Welsh. That movie ALMOST has everything I need in it to be completely happy, albeit in a guilty pleasure sort of way.

Good Conchord! I'm right there with you, /me! I kept reading your post and kept getting more interested. Throw in some FotC songs on the soundtrack and some free chocolate to eat while watching it and I think I'll have reached an entertainment high! :lol:

I watched "Taking Lives" yesterday on tv, while doing some sewing. Cute French actors (including Tcheky Karyo, who for some reason was in Greensboro on my birthday this year and dining at the table next to me), suspense, and a twist at the end (although I was suspecting it). Nothing spectacular, but still entertaining.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

djdeathskiss
Keeping it funky

Postby djdeathskiss » Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:24 pm

I saw a film called 'Green Street Hooligans' this past weekend; it stars Elijah Wood, Claire Fourlani, and Charlie Hunnam (who also starred in a great, shortlived sitcom called 'Undeclared'.) It about an American who wrongly gets expelled from Harvard, and goes to England to visit his sister and her family. While there, he gets caught up in the world of football gangs, and the violence surrounding them.

It's a very well-done film, although they tend to use the 'shaky-camera' thing a bit too much. And I got to see one of my favorite people in the world, Elijah :heart: in 2 films this month!

I had thought about going to see 'Doom', only because Karl is in it (another :heart:), but just couldn't bring myself to spend the money on a film like this. I got to see a little of it at the San Diego Comic Con (Karl's "first person shooter" scene), so I feel like i've already seen the best bit of the movie.
"Of course i'm home; i'm always home. I'm uncool!" - Lester Bangs, 'Almost Famous'

Kate
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Kate » Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:44 pm

The other night I was finally able to catch "Sideways" on HBO. I had heard such great things about it. Everyone I knew who saw it raved about it. It left me completely flat.

What did I miss? Anyone else see it and feel that way?

/me
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby /me » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:15 am

I am looking forward to Green Street Hooligans too. I don't think it will be coming soon to a theater near me, but it is in my Netflix queue.
Ooooh Flight of the Conchords! You're so big!

:comehere: Conchordians Unite! Join the FotC map!

indigo_jones

Postby indigo_jones » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:54 am

I enjoyed Sideways, since I'm a wine nut, but I can see how some people might not find it as hugely entertaining as all the hype it got. I'm not even sure it deserved all the hype, although it was a fun, quirky little movie.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:37 am

I saw Shaun of the Dead on Tv last night. Surprisingly funny! If you like comedy/horror. I missed the first 20 minutes, so I don't know why there were zombies - but quite amusing anyway.

I also rewatched Garden State. Awesome movie. I think Zach Braff is hilarious.
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC

indigo_jones

Postby indigo_jones » Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:22 pm

Shaun of the Dead is my kind of horror movie! Silly, rather than over-the-top gruesome.

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:29 pm

indigo_jones wrote:Shaun of the Dead is my kind of horror movie! Silly, rather than over-the-top gruesome.

I just watched Shaun of the Dead on Halloween and really enjoyed it. The first half hour is the best - so subtle :yawinkle: It's probably the only horror film I could handle. I prefer suspence to gore. Ugh.
4 out of 3 people have difficulty with fractions.

djdeathskiss
Keeping it funky

Postby djdeathskiss » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:01 pm

I love 'Shawn of the Dead'. I thought it was so funny and clever; favorite bit is when Shawn and Ed are trying to decide which records to throw at the zombies.

Just saw 'North Country' this weekend, and really liked it. I have a feeling Charleze Theron is headed for another Oscar. And Sean Bean was fantastic as well- his character is married to Frances McDormants - they have the sweetest, saddest scene together.
"Of course i'm home; i'm always home. I'm uncool!" - Lester Bangs, 'Almost Famous'

conchordgirl

Postby conchordgirl » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:20 pm

Ok, I feel like a complete nerd but I went and saw "Chicken Little" this weekend. I liked it. It's not as good as a Pixar film but it had it's moments. I'll go see most any animation film and I wanted to see this one because my dad calls me chicken little. :oops: Next movie for me will be "Shopgirl".

--Nicole
Oh, look at me! I'm the magical man from happy land, in a gumdrop house on lollipop laaaaaane!!
Oh by the way I was being sarcastic.--Homer Simpson

Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:02 am

March of the Penguins
Step Into the Liquid
Touching the Void
All very very 8)

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:47 am

conchordgirl wrote:Ok, I feel like a complete nerd but I went and saw "Chicken Little" this weekend. I liked it. It's not as good as a Pixar film but it had it's moments. I'll go see most any animation film and I wanted to see this one because my dad calls me chicken little. :oops: Next movie for me will be "Shopgirl".

--Nicole

I wanted to see that this weekend! I had to work...bummer. Next weekend I tell me-self. :D We can be nerds together. Don't tell me what happens! I don't want to know if the sky is actually falling or not. Can't wait for Saturday! (I'm sure I've mentioned this but, Zach Braff is great. Love Scrubs and Garden State)
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC

specialkay

Postby specialkay » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:22 am

I saw two very different films and both were VERY good.
Jarhead and Prime. I won't give a bunch of details but, these are both worth going to see in the theatre.
Ladies, grab a girlfriend and go see Prime! It's so clever and witty.
:P I was accompanied by the masculine militant type for the Jarhead one :yawinkle: :mrgreen: but, it really was good, even with all the controvercial "issues" it is based on. Jamie Foxx and Jake Gyllinhall did a super job! :clap:
"Growing OLD is mandatory but growing UP is optional" :)
~KAREN~

Deirdre
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Deirdre » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:48 am

I saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory 4 times in regular theatres and once in the IMAX. I bought the CD and a special preschool version of the book for my 3-year-old. And we DVR'd the HBO "making of..." and watched it many times.

I didn't think I'd like it because I loved the first one so much. And thankfully I was wrong again. It was so different that I didn't feel the need to compare it with the old one. Jonny Depp was perfect. In fact, everytime I went to see it it was a wonderful and uplifting experience.I kept dragging my kids with me to see it and we listened to that CD to death.

It all sounds a little weird, as I don't go bonkers over things like that. I'm so glad some of you guys enjoyed it, too.

djdeathskiss
Keeping it funky

Postby djdeathskiss » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:57 pm

Another great film to add to my 'Best of 2005' list: Walk the Line. You don't even have to be a Johnny Cash fan to appreciate the story and the amazing performances by Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon. Two BIG thumbs up.

Return to “Off topic rambles”