Seen any good movies lately?

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Re: Seen any good movies lately?

Postby mohumbhai mania » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:06 pm

No, it's about 5 years old. Stumbled across it on NetFlix, and Logo, the gay channel here, will sometimes play it at 2 am. In fact, it's an on demand Netflix title. Superb movie!

I LOVED Toy Story 3. Every minute was golden, and yeah, and I was sniffling in parts.
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

Red
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Red » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:40 am

I just saw Micmacs. It's a fun, satirical little French film about the global arms trade and and a group of more or less homeless people that join forces to take down two weapons manufacturers. It was directed and I think written by Jean-Pierre Jeunet, who also made City of Lost Children and Amelie (one of my all time favorite movies). The story is a bit weak in some places, but it's very visually interesting and beautiful much like Amelie. And the characters are endearing. I enjoyed the movie quite a bit and recommend checking it out.

funny schipperke
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby funny schipperke » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:43 am

Ooh, I've been wanting to check that out! Thanks for the review, Red!
Amelie is one of my all time favorites, as well, and City of Lost Children and Delicatessen are also quite good.
Image Image

Red

Postby Red » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:56 am

You should definitely go see it while it's still playing at the Alamo, FS. I doubt they'll be showing it for more than another week or so. The smaller and foreign films are always gone too quickly.

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:02 am

Thanks for the tip, Red! I'm a fan of Jean-Pierre Jeunet's style so I'll have to check out Micmacs.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:03 pm

OMG. Machete! It was the perfect over the top B movie. LauraK, I know you saw this, we have to compare notes!

I am bike-cheese!

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:41 pm

Scott Pilgrim vs the World is also fantastic. It's being marketed as a niche gamer film, when really it's a fun quest-style love story with video games and comics as a framing device. I haven't played a video game with shooting in it since Galaga, but I still loved it.

I am bike-cheese!

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:07 pm

I saw a fight scene from it last night. I was really impressed. Michael Cera really did a great job. (Loved how when he came out, The Roots played "Sarah, Sarah..." :rolls: )
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:07 am

Bumping this thread since we're entering awards season, and the critically acclaimed films are now upon us.
For the first time in years, I saw two movies in two days: Black Swan and The King's Speech.

Black Swan is a haunting movie, one of those films that you'll still ponder the day after you see it. Naturally, if you love ballet, you'll enjoy all the dance scenes, and Natalie Portman should take the big statue this year for her incredible performance.
I also loved the direction, the way the camera followed Natalie Portman around, and the Hitchcock-type plot, which had tons of twists and turns. I do believe it requires more than one viewing to resolve all the questions still spinning around in my head. Go see it and enjoy.

The King's Speech was a wonderful movie dealing with King George VI's speech problems, and the therapist who helped him. Colin Firth will be a strong contender for the Oscar - if I were him, I'd dust off his shelf. His reactions are so heartfelt, you can't help feeling your heartstrings pulling for his situation. Geoffrey Rush is brilliant as the therapist, and the climax scene in a tight space of a room where King George addresses Great Britain on the radio to declare war with Germany (and Lionel -Geoffrey Rush - coaches him throughout) is a master class in great camera shots as well as superb acting. Bravo, gentlemen!

So two completely different films, both well worth seeing.

Anyone else seen anything worth mentioning?
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:52 pm

Nancy, those are the last two movies I saw and I agree. I really think it was the best performance I've seen from Natalie Portman. I love how they used a cinema verite style for what's kind of being marketed as a horror film. I heard Aronfsky was inspired by Polanski's Repulsion (another good movie) and The Double by Fyodor Dostoevsky.

I went into the theatre after reading about a few spoilers. I thought Mila Kunis's character was a figment of Portman's imagination. I guess that was only half true. It's funny. I could watch the stabbing scene and it doesn't bother me but I couldn't watch the painful, fingernail clipping scene without going, "AHhhHhhH!"

I plan on seeing Rabbit Hole and Somewhere next Friday. Has anyone seen these yet? I've also heard good things about True Grit.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

Red

Postby Red » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:15 am

I saw True Grit with my hubby, a friend and her hubby and father-in-law. We are 5 people with very different movie tastes but all 5 of us loved it! I wasn't prepared for how sad the ending made me though. :(

Has anyone else seen Four Lions? It's an independent British black comedy about the Taliban. It sounds bizarre and it is bizarre but also brilliant and wickedly funny yet sad.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:54 am

I haven't heard anything about Four Lions yet. I'll have to watch for it, or else it'll come in to RI for a week and disappear. :?

I'm looking forward to seeing Blue Valentine - Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams are supposed to be excellent.

I saw The Kids Are Alright on my way to LA - it was okay, but the acting is not on the same level as Natalie Portman's.

Black Swan spoiler: V, I thought at the end she'd discover she had killed her mother! Wasn't Barbara Hershey great?
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

LikeACurry
Consistently Mediocre

Postby LikeACurry » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:54 am

Saw True Grit last week, it was good but not as intense as I thought it would be :|
I'm not touching the Black Swan spoilers I plan to watch it sometime this week :D
Oh, it was always "Bowie's bumped into a door..."
ImageImageImage

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:55 am

Spoiler question for anyone who's seen The King's Speech:

With all the talk about him being Australian and getting good reviews for doing Richard III in Sydney, shouldn't Geoffrey Rush have brandished an Australian accent, or did I miss something about how he got rid of it? His performance was so touching and spot on, but why didn't he have a trace of Aussie in his speech? :dunno:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

resel
New arrival

Postby resel » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:22 am

I recently watched movies names are:
The Nimo and The day when everything stop.

Return to “Off topic rambles”