Got Any Misheard Lyrics?

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
User avatar
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta
Posts: 9055
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 9:40 pm

Got Any Misheard Lyrics?

Postby Nancy » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:45 am

Ellen posted on another site of the forum that she had misheard Madonna's lyrics to Like a Virgin - instead of Let the Choirs Sing, she thought it was Leper Crossing. :D
And we all know of the little kids who sang Round John virgin mother and child in Silent Night, right?

Last week my paper published a series of misheard lyrics - some I had heard before, some were new, but most put a smile on my face and I'd like to share them with you. I'll give the misheard lyrics and artist first, then you can scroll down a bit to get the real lyrics and song title.
I'm sure there are many more, so if you know any or have had a misheard experience, here's the place to share it.

1. I wanna piece of date bread - The Ramones
2. I can't stand Lucy Liu - The Police
3. I'll never be your pizza furnace - The Rolling Stones
4. I want that gown - Tom Petty
5. Like detergent - Madonna
6. I fight with Dorothy and Dorothy always wins - John Mellencamp
7. Ah, ah, ah, ah stabilize, stabilize - The Bee Gees
8. He's a big, tall lizard, there has to be a trick - The Who
9. Everybody's talkin' bout the new Zamboni, but it's still rock and roll to me - Billy Joel
10. There's a bathroom on the right - Creedence Clearwater Revival
11. Hold me closer, Tony Danza - Elton John
12. Scuse me, while I kiss this guy - Jimi Hendrix
13. The girl with colitis goes by - The Beatles






And the answers are:


1. I wanna be sedated, from I Wanna Be Sedated
2. I can't stand losing you, from Can't Stand Losing You
3. I'll never be your beast of burden, from Beast of Burden
4. I won't back down, from I Won't Back Down
5. Like a virgin, from Like a Virgin
6. I fight authority, Authority always wins, from Authority Song
7. Ah, ah, ah, ah, stayin' alive, stayin' alive, from Stayin' Alive
8. He's a pinball wizard, There has to be a twist, from Pinball Wizard
9. Everybody's talkin' 'bout the new sound, Funny but it's still rock & roll to me, from It's Still Rock & Roll To Me
10. There's a bad moon on the rise, from Bad Moon Rising
11. Hold me closer, tiny dancer, from Tiny Dancer
12. Scuse me, while I kiss the sky, from Purple Haze
13. The girl with kaleidoscope eyes, from Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds


Okay, I admit it, I too thought it was There's a bathroom on the right. :oops: Anybody else?
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Emafer

Re: Got Any Misheard Lyrics?

Postby Emafer » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:14 am

Up until about a month ago, my 41 year old best freind, who's been listening to the song on the radio all her life thought that Elton John sang "Love that feeling in my hands" instead of "love lies bleeding in my hands". Her husband and I were in tears we were laughing so hard. We kepts saying "but it's the NAME of the song, it's right on the album cover!"

User avatar
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta
Posts: 9055
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 9:40 pm

Re: Got Any Misheard Lyrics?

Postby Nancy » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:32 pm

Even when the lyrics are right under your nose, your ear tells you something different, doesn't it? And Sir Elton is most notorious for making what I like to call mystery words. I never could (and still can't ) figure out the correct lyrics to Yellow Brick Road.
Is it his vowel pronunciation? :dunno:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Emafer

Re: Got Any Misheard Lyrics?

Postby Emafer » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:21 am

Nancy Hillner wrote:Even when the lyrics are right under your nose, your ear tells you something different, doesn't it? And Sir Elton is most notorious for making what I like to call mystery words. I never could (and still can't ) figure out the correct lyrics to Yellow Brick Road.
Is it his vowel pronunciation? :dunno:


Really? what words don't you know?

User avatar
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta
Posts: 9055
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 9:40 pm

Re: Got Any Misheard Lyrics?

Postby Nancy » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:34 am

I'm so bad, I think I get lost right after "Goodbye to Yellow Brick Road.....nananana society .....
You can't nanananananananananananana
Back to the nananana in the wood nanannananannana
Oh nananananna my future lies beyond the yellow brick road, ah..."

Pretty pathetic, huh? :(

Forget misheard - try not heard at all!!! :oops:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

User avatar
indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you
Posts: 3910
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:14 pm

Re: Got Any Misheard Lyrics?

Postby indigo_jones » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:17 am

There's a whole website dedicated to this stuff.

I've got a few that I still have to stop and think to remember the correct lyric after singing the wrong one for so long. (Correct lines in parentheses)

"I resolve to corduroy, a thousand times a day" (I resolve to call her up, a thousand times a day) -- The Police's Don't Stand So Close To Me

"Shout we don't like it" (Sharif don't like it) -- The Clash's Rock the Casbah

"She's so funky yeah" (Jeux sans frontieres) -- Peter Gabriel's Games Without Frontiers

"Pelican force and ready" (Telegram force and ready) -- Duran Duran's Union of the Snake. In my defense, that one is weird either way. ;)

And the infamous:
"Feel me up on the floor" (Feel the ebb and the flow) -- Age Pryor's Singing In My Soul. Also in my defense, Andria heard it too. :doh: Sorry Age! :worry:
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

User avatar
H....
David Bowie's nipple antennae
Posts: 1412
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 11:36 am

Re: Got Any Misheard Lyrics?

Postby H.... » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:54 pm

From 'Lord of the Dance' hymn...
''I am the lord of the dance setee'' instead of ''I am the lord of the dance said he''. This made me feel paticularly stupid as I only recently found this out, after having been made to sing it for 7 years at school....
Throw us your potatoes!

User avatar
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta
Posts: 9055
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 9:40 pm

Re: Got Any Misheard Lyrics?

Postby Nancy » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:17 am

Some of these I had heard of, but I had never heard the Jimi Hendrix one before. Thanks for the website, Indigo. I liked the Robert Palmer one. :D

Even here in this forum, I asked on the BBC thread if anyone knew what Jemaine sang at the end of "I'm Not Crying" before he says "Big boys don't cry". One suggestion was "With my implement", but it turned out to be "With my inflamed eye". :D
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

User avatar
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta
Posts: 9055
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 9:40 pm

Re: Got Any Misheard Lyrics?

Postby Nancy » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:19 am

H.... wrote:From 'Lord of the Dance' hymn...
''I am the lord of the dance setee'' instead of ''I am the lord of the dance said he''. This made me feel paticularly stupid as I only recently found this out, after having been made to sing it for 7 years at school....




And did you sing it out. loud and clear every time you sang it in school, and nobody told you???
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

User avatar
H....
David Bowie's nipple antennae
Posts: 1412
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 11:36 am

Re: Got Any Misheard Lyrics?

Postby H.... » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:51 pm

Nancy Hillner wrote:
H.... wrote:From 'Lord of the Dance' hymn...
''I am the lord of the dance setee'' instead of ''I am the lord of the dance said he''. This made me feel paticularly stupid as I only recently found this out, after having been made to sing it for 7 years at school....




And did you sing it out. loud and clear every time you sang it in school, and nobody told you???


There were about 7 of us that did it. We only realised when they put the lyrics up on a screen at the front :oops:
Throw us your potatoes!

User avatar
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta
Posts: 9055
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 9:40 pm

Re: Got Any Misheard Lyrics?

Postby Nancy » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:57 pm

Oops! :oops: Oh well... :roll:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

User avatar
H....
David Bowie's nipple antennae
Posts: 1412
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 11:36 am

Re: Got Any Misheard Lyrics?

Postby H.... » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:00 am

I know. At least we realised.
Throw us your potatoes!

User avatar
deliriumtree
David Bowie's nipple antennae
Posts: 1318
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:05 pm

Re: Got Any Misheard Lyrics?

Postby deliriumtree » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:10 pm

I had problems with a "Invisible Touch" by Phil Collins. For years I thought he was singing she seems to have an invisible top shirt. I could never figure out if it's was x-ray vision or did the lady in the song just have to much nyquil the night before and that muddled her brain getting dressed and that was Phil Collins polite way of pointing out she forgot to put on a top? I know what the song is now that I'm older, but listening to it when I was 8 was just mind boggling lol.

Emafer

Re: Got Any Misheard Lyrics?

Postby Emafer » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:08 am

Nancy Hillner wrote:I'm so bad, I think I get lost right after "Goodbye to Yellow Brick Road.....nananana society .....
You can't nanananananananananananana
Back to the nananana in the wood nanannananannana
Oh nananananna my future lies beyond the yellow brick road, ah..."

Pretty pathetic, huh? :(

Forget misheard - try not heard at all!!! :oops:


That's awesome. For years Eddie Veder wouldn't print Pearl Jam lyrics. He felt that whatever you heard is what it meant to you and that he wan't going to take that emotion away from his liteners. I think that's pretty cool.

User avatar
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta
Posts: 9055
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 9:40 pm

Re: Got Any Misheard Lyrics?

Postby Nancy » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:27 pm

deliriumtree wrote:I had problems with a "Invisible Touch" by Phil Collins. For years I thought he was singing she seems to have an invisible top shirt. I could never figure out if it's was x-ray vision or did the lady in the song just have to much nyquil the night before and that muddled her brain getting dressed and that was Phil Collins polite way of pointing out she forgot to put on a top? I know what the song is now that I'm older, but listening to it when I was 8 was just mind boggling lol.




:doh: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap:


I love it!!!
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit

La-dy-ish! Yeah!


Return to “Off topic rambles”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

cron