Got Any Misheard Lyrics?

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Re: Got Any Misheard Lyrics?

Postby Nancy » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:31 pm

Emafer wrote:
Nancy Hillner wrote:I'm so bad, I think I get lost right after "Goodbye to Yellow Brick Road.....nananana society .....
You can't nanananananananananananana
Back to the nananana in the wood nanannananannana
Oh nananananna my future lies beyond the yellow brick road, ah..."

Pretty pathetic, huh? :(

Forget misheard - try not heard at all!!! :oops:

That's awesome. For years Eddie Veder wouldn't print Pearl Jam lyrics. He felt that whatever you heard is what it meant to you and that he wan't going to take that emotion away from his liteners. I think that's pretty cool.

That's a pretty amazing philosophy. I'm afraid I'm not really familiar with Pearl Jam's music, though I do know who they are, at least.
I think that's a pretty unique way to look at issuing lyrics for your songs.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:18 pm

Nancy Hillner wrote:

That's a pretty amazing philosophy. I'm afraid I'm not really familiar with Pearl Jam's music, though I do know who they are, at least.

OK, you have to go listen to some Pearl Jam becuase Eddie Veder is a NOTORIOUS mumbler.

Minnie
New arrival

Postby Minnie » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:53 am

Nancy Hillner wrote:11. Hold me closer, Tony Danza - Elton John

that one is hilarious.

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:24 pm

Emafer wrote:
Nancy Hillner wrote:

OK, you have to go listen to some Pearl Jam becuase Eddie Veder is a NOTORIOUS mumbler.

Heh. And that's an understatement!

Me, I prefer lyrics to be included, because I'm notoriously bad at missing any and all meaning of a song if I can't sit down and read the lyrics. I get caught up in the music or individual lyrics and it takes me forever to get any sense of what a song is about. I also have a habit of thinking songs are much darker than they might actually be.

Plus, I just want to know -- since everybody knows -- what the DJz Girlfriend is!
Sorry, old joke about the lyrics of Bret's Video Kid song, DJz Girlfriend. I have no idea what he's saying at one point and it's been a long-standing frustration. The lyric is "and everybody knows that the DJz girlfriend is blah blah blah. Anyone here know?
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:04 pm

Nancy Hillner wrote:I'm so bad, I think I get lost right after "Goodbye to Yellow Brick Road.....nananana society .....
You can't nanananananananananananana
Back to the nananana in the wood nanannananannana
Oh nananananna my future lies beyond the yellow brick road, ah..."

Pretty pathetic, huh? :(

Forget misheard - try not heard at all!!! :oops:

Yes this one was toughie for me for a long time, I just made up my own jibberish then one day I looked it up (don't feel like looking it up again now) the first bit is where the dogs of society howl or something like that, you can't put me in your nana nanana I'm going back to my na -back to the howling nan nan nana and the something back na...LOL! It's impossible.

I just heard an awesome version of Rocket Man done by My Morning Jacket and I've finally understood a part that always perplexed me - I'm a Rocket man - blah blah - it's - burning out my fuse up here alone.
90% evil
ImageImage

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:03 am

Ok I'm going to clear this up once and for all:

When are you gonna come down
When are you going to land
I should have stayed on the farm
I should have listened to my old man

You know you can't hold me forever
I didn't sign up with you
I'm not a present for your friends to open
This boy's too young to be singing the blues

So goodbye yellow brick road
Where the dogs of society howl
You can't plant me in your penthouse
I'm going back to my plough

Back to the howling old owl in the woods
Hunting the horny back toad
Oh I've finally decided my future lies
Beyond the yellow brick road

What do you think you'll do then
I bet that'll shoot down your plane
It'll take you a couple of vodka and tonics
To set you on your feet again

Maybe you'll get a replacement
There's plenty like me to be found
Mongrels who ain't got a penny
Sniffing for tidbits like you on the ground

That being clarified now, I think whatever you thought it was before was equally as valid and part of your personal listening experience that should not be denied. We put far to much emphasis on what other people have to say instead of ourselves.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:04 pm

Why thank you very much. In Elton John's case I think it's actually better to make up your own lyrics. The music and melodies are lovely but the lyrics - not so much.

I agree with what you're saying in your last paragraph. On the other hand I have a lot of respect for a well written, poetic turn of phrase and sometimes get kind of irritated when I don't find one.
90% evil
ImageImage

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:07 am

Yeah, well I always thought Yellow Brick Road had a line with something like Darktown Society... Because there's an old song called Darktown Strutter's Ball. For this thread, I just put nanana, cause I couldn't think of what it sounded like, but after seeing the true lyrics (thanks so much for them, emafer), it made me remember the old perceptions.

Ooh, somebody just gave me another misheard lyric the other day, but my short term memory is shot from trying to teach high schoolers "At the End of the Day" from Les Miz. Argggh! :doh:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:33 pm

SheWolf wrote:Why thank you very much. In Elton John's case I think it's actually better to make up your own lyrics. The music and melodies are lovely but the lyrics - not so much.

Really? I always love his lyrics. Your Song, Tiny Dancer, Madman Across the Water. great lyrics.

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:10 am

If I were a sculptor ... but then again, no.

Yeah, that one has always gotten a bit of mocking from my friends and me.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:31 am

Okay, I just caught one of my worst misheard lyrics. :oops:
I was watching Top Gun, and we have the closed caption feature on so my Mom can enjoy shows.
It came time for Danger Zone, and I was casually watching the lyrics go by, when all of a sudden, I sat upright - what was this?

Highway to the Danger Zone
Ride into the Danger Zone :worry: :shock: What???!!!

I truly, truly always thought it was:

I went to the Danger Zone
Right into the Danger Zone

Really, it was hard to believe, but when I Googled the lyrics and there they were, I couldn't believe it. :bang:

Go figure. :dunno:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

LSully9
Getting lewd with the food

Postby LSully9 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:49 am

I always thought it was "right" too... :hrm: But they're certainly close enough to be easily confused....
Two struggling musicians, living in poverty and despair, selling their...instruments.

dangerous person
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby dangerous person » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:44 am

I couldn't say, I'm just not a big fan of Top Gun :wink:
"We're a novelty music act, we're not a freak show"

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:28 am

The only reason I was watching it was because of the reference to it on the HBO show, and I got so distracted by the misheard lyrics I didn't remember the FoTC reference. :doh:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:55 am

I just thought of a really good one and can't BELEIVE that I missed it. Several years ago my boyfrind wrote a song called Big Mama's Door. One of the lyrics is "going down the Chickasaw" referring to The Chickasaw River. Well in the last couple of years an Australian band, The Beautiful Girls, started covering it in thier live show. However, having never heard of The Chickasaw River they totally misheard the the lyric and subsequently started singing "going down to Chicken Sauce" blahahahaha so we tease him all the time and as much as possible about "Chicken Sauce".

More recently while touring alongside North Missippi Allstars, their bass player decided that his own interpretation would be a Christmas song about "going down the chimney tops" hahahahahaha.

Return to “Off topic rambles”