Got Any Misheard Lyrics?

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
VaiVedrai
Registered Rhymnecologist

Re: Got Any Misheard Lyrics?

Postby VaiVedrai » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:12 pm

For quite some time I thought a verse in the Nine Inch Nails song "1,000,000" went "shut the f**k up". It's actually "should have found out", but the other version also wouldn't sound out of place... :lol:
If you don't know the answer, change the question.

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:57 am

Ah! The douche/deuce conundrum! I think my friends and I actually called up a radio station once to find out once and for all what was being said!

As for Golden Earring, at least you came up with some actual words; I tend to just mumble through half the song. When I found out recently that they were a Dutch band, I asked one of my friends here if they were maybe singing some of the lines in Dutch, which would explain why some are so unintelligible. Sadly, no. It's all English! :lol:
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Corrine
Consistently Mediocre

Postby Corrine » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:01 pm

Oh my gosh, Laura, honestly for decades I was wondering why they were saying "wrapped up like a douche". I always thought that was the weirdest lyric, and now from your post it all makes sense! "Revved up like a deuce"...Okay, I guess they are talking about a car? Well, I feel a lot more enlightened, and a lot less stupid now. You definitely were not the only one thinking that.

In the FOTC Bowie song, I thought they were saying "Face is on funky", which was weird, but then the whole song was weird, when in fact, I guess they were saying "Phasers on Funky", which is actually quite a bit funnier, with the space theme etc..

VaiVedrai
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby VaiVedrai » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:26 am

indigo_jones wrote:As for Golden Earring, at least you came up with some actual words; I tend to just mumble through half the song. When I found out recently that they were a Dutch band, I asked one of my friends here if they were maybe singing some of the lines in Dutch, which would explain why some are so unintelligible. Sadly, no. It's all English! :lol:
I've heard something similar in a cover of the song "State of Shock" by a French band. I had no idea what was being sung, I thought maybe the song was in French, though I couldn't make out any of it. I looked up the original version of the song by the Dutch Band The Ex, and it was not only in English, but very clear and well-articulated. This French band has sung other songs in English, but they sing them properly, I'd never heard it like that before. So...I don't know what to say beyond that. :lol:
If you don't know the answer, change the question.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:40 am

I had to share this here, from the FoTC In Your Life thread:

Biscuit's 7-year-old son was listening to FoTC cds while in the car, and he started singing " Bowie's in Spain, Bowie's in Spaaaiiiiin."

:roll2: :rolls: :bounce:

Love it!
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

bakergirl30
Getting lewd with the food

Postby bakergirl30 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:44 am

One of my Son's came to me recently and asked about the song that is about our last name (our last name is Davis) and I said what song?? And he said the one that says : Im a davis,Im a davis Ooo Im a davis"
...uuhhh honey you mean AMADEUS AMADEUS???? by Falco.. :doh: oh boy!! So now whenever that song comes on all I can hear is " Im a davis Im a davis Oo Im a davis :roll2:
ImageImageImageImage

bakergirl30

Postby bakergirl30 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:44 am

Nancy wrote:I had to share this here, from the FoTC In Your Life thread:

Biscuit's 7-year-old son was listening to FoTC cds while in the car, and he started singing " Bowie's in Spain, Bowie's in Spaaaiiiiin."

Love it!

NICE!! :rolls:
ImageImageImageImage

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:07 pm

This thread is great for a laugh. Face is on funky - :roll2:
90% evil
ImageImage

SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby SuzyBatt » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:17 pm

Nancy wrote:I had to share this here, from the FoTC In Your Life thread:

Love it!

On the theme of 7-year-olds and phasers, my daugther was just yesterday singing along to the song, and saying the exact same thing - face is on funky.

Oh, and also, whenever she hears the song Fame by Bowie, instead of singing Fame, she sings, "JEMAINE"!!! :lol:

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:28 pm

Kids eh :rolls:

My daughter who is nearly 10 asked me what they were singing in Too Many Dicks...

DD: What is he singing after "Going to a party"?
Me: Sipping a Bacardi
DD: Oh... I thought it was "zipping up a cardie"...I thought it was a bit weird.

:lol:
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby SuzyBatt » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:39 pm

DD: Oh... I thought it was "zipping up a cardie"...I thought it was a bit weird.
:bounce:
Has she not asked you anything ELSE about the lyrics in that song?

That one's on the 'not appropriate' list of songs in our house. Sometimes she refers to it as the 'Hey you guys' song, because that's about all she hears before it gets quickly skipped. Otherwise, we just refer to it as Too Many Bobs on the Dancefloor. Really, my only concern is that she starts singing it in school, to a lot of :shock:

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:56 pm

Surprisingly she hasn't asked, and I think she gets it. I don't ban any of the songs but I have instructed them not to sing them at school. They go to English school and it would not go down well :roll:

That's an odd thing about living in Norway and using English at school. There are loads of songs on the radio here that I think would be cencored in English speaking countries, but because we don't normally speak English here most people aren't bothered by explicit lyrics. That's why you have little kids going around singing "My boobs are ok!" :shock:
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:01 pm

:roll2: I gotta visit someday. Hilarius. Zipping up a cardie totally works! I love it.

My kids have to call that song, "Too many [guys named] Dick on the Dancefloor." Then it works.
Image..Image..Image

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:15 am

You have once again brightened my day. Zipping up a cardie - good one :roll2: :rolls: :bounce:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Ozpot

Postby Ozpot » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:24 am

In the Radiohead song Morning Bell, I always heard the lyrics as, "Put the kids to bed." The real lyrics are, "Cut the kids in half." :roll: That's Thom Yorke for you.
ImageImage

Return to “Off topic rambles”