Non-Conchord related Addictions

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Non-Conchord related Addictions

Postby Andria » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:45 am

I have a problem. I am a total book junkie. :help: I was running errands with a friend and she wanted to quick run by a book store to pick up a gift certificate and a book. I should have known better and stayed in the car. :bang: I escaped that venue down only $50. *shriek* What is wrong with me?!? I really couldn't help myself.

The books I picked up look really interesting. I shall share. :wink:
"the 13 1/2 lives of Captain Bluebear: a novel" by Walter Moers - this looks freakin' hilarious. A weird mixture of a children's book and adult satire.

"Cloud Atlas" by David Mitchell - The blurb looked interesting and the author was paired with the like of Umberto Eco. Who could resist?

And my shameless vice, a fantasy novel (only $7!)
"The Fairy Godmother" by Mercedes Lackey :sign_help:

Anyone else have a book or any other addiction?
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:06 am

Books are also my addiction. I used to go the bookstore every Saturday morning and drop ridiculous amounts of money -- those art history books can be expensive, yo! (At least, that's what I blame the large amounts of money on. All those mystery novels were cheap. :whistle: )

When I first moved to NY, my dad helped me move up there and he joked with me as he was helping carry all the boxes up to my third-floor walk-up that he wished I was into Beanie Babies instead!
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Kate
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Kate » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:01 am

Chocolate. Real Chocolate. Dark-Bittersweet.

Coffee.

100% Cotton Sheets with a high thread count (300+)

HBO On Demand (I never watch anything just because it's on anymore. I watch what I want, when I want. I love it.)

Black or Green Tea.

Amaria
Half a shapely halibut

Postby Amaria » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:16 am

Yeah. I have a book addiction too. But specifically, used books. I know that buying used doesn't help the industry, so I try buying new every once in a while as well, but nothing pleases me more than walking into a bookstore and sensing the history along with smelling it in the dust. Seeing the yellowed pages and thinking about how it was around during the times the book describes. Even though it's not practical, I love books that crumble, and enjoy adding my own marks (not pen or pencil marks, more like folds on the corners, et cetera) on a book obviously well loved before I ever came into the picture.

Hm. See how crazy I can get about that? I have an overly realized sense of nostalgia about everything, is it obvious?

I also have a music thing. Particularly Celtic, Rock, and Celtic Rock (more of that nostalgic thing -- celtic music just brings me back, I suppose, I have a theory that I lived all my past lives in 18th century Ireland).

I also have an art thing. Particularly fond of surrealism at the mo', though I do have soft spot for all things Renaissance, especially Michelangelo's sculptures.

And let's see...I'm actually quite obssessive by nature, and like everything I like to a fanatical degree which just doesn't bode well for my studies. :lol:

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:23 am

indigo_jones wrote:Books are also my addiction. I used to go the bookstore every Saturday morning and drop ridiculous amounts of money -- those art history books can be expensive, yo! (At least, that's what I blame the large amounts of money on. All those mystery novels were cheap. Whistle )

It's not just me! I'm not alone! :wink: I think we need to start BJA (Book Junkies Anonymous). Just stay away from bookstores. Libraries are so much cheaper. :D

Kate wrote:Chocolate. Real Chocolate. Dark-Bittersweet.

Coffee.

100% Cotton Sheets with a high thread count (300+)

HBO On Demand (I never watch anything just because it's on anymore. I watch what I want, when I want. I love it.)

Black or Green Tea.

MMmmmmm, I can relate to the Chocolate and the Black Tea. Yum.

I don't have HBO on demand, so I don't know what I'm missing. :wink: Same for the high thread count sheets.

Now don't :stick: me people, but I really dislike coffee. I like coffee ice cream, but anything else coffee I can't stand. The smell makes me nauseous if I haven't eaten anything in the morning.

Nice addictions, Kate. :D
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC

indigo_jones

Postby indigo_jones » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:55 am

I can relate to the used-book thing. Must have been instilled into me by my dad who said when I went off to college "Buy used books." Of course, the advice that followed that was, "And if you have sex, don't tell me about it." hee! I love my dad!

One of my favorite used-book finds was a copy of Oscar Wilde's complete works that I got in a fantastic used book store in New Orleans. It happened to be sitting on the top of a pile of books next to one of the bookcases. I snatched it up immediately and have referred back to it numerous times.

Oh, and I can also relate to the addiction to Michelangelo's sculptures. The first time I went to Florence (Mecca for me!), I remember walking in to see David. I was looking at the bound captive statues first, specifically not looking at David in the next room. I hadn't expected to be as blown away by David as I was, considering how much I'd studied it, but seeing it in person just takes your breath away. Unbelievable! Very similar to my reaction to seeing any Caravaggio painting. When I saw my first one (Supper at Emmaus) at the British National Gallery, my mum joked that she thought she was going to have to catch me. I was blown away. When I was in Milan at the Bibliotecca, seeing his famous still life, one of the guards came up to me and suggested a particularly good viewing spot for it. I was never so glad to understand some Italian at that point! The guard was absolutely right. I had a different situation with a guard at the National Gallery while looking at one of the versions of "Boy Bitten By a Lizard". I was leaning in (without touching) to point out the lizard to my dad and a guard came up and said, "Don't touch!" I was mortified.

Oh, and when I went to Mantova for the first time, I went to see the Palazzo Te', but we then went on to wander around the city for the afternoon. We were walking down this street and came upon a piazza and there at the piazza was one of Alberti's churches. I had forgotten it was in Mantova, and upon seeing it, I exclaimed, quite loudly, "Oh!" G hasn't let me live that one down yet. My exclamation probably echoed throughout the city.

Um, yeah, Renaissance/Baroque art/architecture is another addiction.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

/me
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby /me » Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:21 am

I don't even want to think how much I spend on books a year. :shock: We used to have a severe shortage of bookstores in my little town, used and new. So my yearly vacation to Denver (closest major city, 400 miles away) always included an entire day rummaging around the Tattered Cover bookstore. 3 glorious stories--maybe I should say floors--packed with books. :lol: It was literally (um, literally) like a fantasy castle to me. THANK GOD FOR AMAZON. We finally got a Borders a few years ago, but the used bookstores are still very much lacking. I am impatiently waiting for some sort of Netflix-style used book rental service. Come on, ye olde netgurus, it's internet GOLD!
Ooooh Flight of the Conchords! You're so big!

:comehere: Conchordians Unite! Join the FotC map!

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:31 am

/me wrote:I am impatiently waiting for some sort of Netflix-style used book rental service. Come on, ye olde netgurus, it's internet GOLD!

Awesome! Superb idea. Just fantastic. Gold, platinum...uranium? Could this be the next big business venture, started by /me? Start getting your stock now, people! :type: :D

Kate

Postby Kate » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:18 pm

I also have one more "addiction", but it seems so idiotic, that I didn't include it, but sice I want to be truthful....

I collect Cook Books. I love to read cookbooks like others read novels. I sit down, and read them from front to back, and study the pictures for new ideas on presentation.

Isn't that the most pitiful "addiction" you've ever encountered? I am the world's biggest doink, and this, my friends, is the proof! :lol:

Now that I have come clean, a personal note -- Andria, my sweet, how could you not like the smell of coffee? Even people who don't like the taste love the aroma! (I happen to love both....) But, Black tea is amazing, isn't it?

indigo_jones

Postby indigo_jones » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:58 pm

Kate, I hang out at the Cooking Light message board sometimes and you would fit right in there. Tons of people who love to sit and read cook books. There's always a discussion about what cookbooks have been bought recently. So far, I've been good about not buying too many cookbooks, although I have enough now to take up the allotted space in the kitchen. But there's no room left on the regular bookshelves, so I'm trying to stick to magazines and the Internet for new recipes. Of course, now I've got huge Word documents filled with recipes.

Oh, and I'm one of those people who isn't a big fan of coffee (I like iced coffee, though), but I love the smell of it. It was the smell of it wafting out of the bodega next to my office in NY that would always make me go in and buy some each morning, even though I rarely finished it.

One other addiction I suspose I should admit to is lip stuff. Lip gloss, lipstick, lip balm, etc. I have such a hard time resisting it all, which is why I have a whole drawer full of the stuff and lip balm in almost every room in the house.

specialkay
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby specialkay » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:02 pm

I have addictions to just about any kind of "deal"! Especially when its clothing or shoes or bags!
I especially like to go into a place like Goodwill and find Coach bags, Maggy London dresses, Brighton shoes, or anything else I can find...and I like them hardly worn or even with tags still on them preferably. :lol:

I have been finding things lately that are kind of 'retro' too! :wink: and that makes me happy happy! I know, i am a freak...
I once found a formal evening gown that was similar to the infamous Marilyn Monroe dress (that was lifted over her head), except in black, that dated back to the 50's; vintage...so awesome! I still have it! LOVE IT!

SO, that is my addiction; other than the chocolate thing of course 8)
"Growing OLD is mandatory but growing UP is optional" :)
~KAREN~

indigo_jones

Postby indigo_jones » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:06 pm

Oh, you had to go and mention shoes, didn't you. :wink:

*runs and locks closet door* What do you mean I have an addiction? I NEED those 37 pairs of black shoes! And you'll only get those metallic eggplant Kenneth Coles from me when I'm dead!

Kate

Postby Kate » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:16 pm

indigo_jones wrote:Kate, I hang out at the Cooking Light message board sometimes and you would fit right in there. Tons of people who love to sit and read cook books.

Yes, but do they have two entire bookshelves of nothing but cookbooks? Maybe I'm not so doinky after all? :lol:

indigo_jones

Postby indigo_jones » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:23 pm

Oh, I think there are a couple of people there who probably come close. So you're not as crazy as you think. Just mildly so. :wink:

Kate

Postby Kate » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:29 pm

I saw a "Nigella" show one time where Nigella Lawson actually took the viewers into a room where the walls were lined with bookshelves, floor to ceiling, and they were filled entirely with cookbooks.

That, I thought, was a bit "crazy". I doubt my "addiction" would ever go so far. My own common sense would kick in somewhere around wall three, and put the brakes on. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Off topic rambles”