Twilight

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
Emafer

Twilight

Postby Emafer » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:47 am

Anyone reading these books? Everyone keeps talking aobut how they are addicted etc. A frined kept telling me how I had to get into them. I'm about 130 pages into the first book and I don't get it. I'm not that impressed.

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Re: Twilight

Postby indigo_jones » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:18 pm

I figure I'll be skipping this. I've got friends completely into them, but I've also heard much complaining. There are other books I'd rather spend my money on for now.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

LSully9
Getting lewd with the food

Postby LSully9 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:51 pm

I really liked the books (and have my ticket for a midnight show Thursday... Please don't let it suck like Eragon did... :pray: :pray: ) Anyway... The books... It's obvious they weren't written with adults in mind (and she probably definately could've used a better editor). But once you put that aside and look at the story itself, it's pretty good. Its falls into the category of books that I like to call 'brain candy.' Something that's sweet and you read it for fun (like on Wednesdays when there's nothing good on tv. :wink: )
Two struggling musicians, living in poverty and despair, selling their...instruments.

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:02 am

I have a hard time reading anything that's not well written. I don't know if I'm a snob or what. Devine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood was a fantastic story and HORRIBLY written. It was soooo hard to read. I kept wanting to throw it against the wall but then I'd go pick it up beucase I wanted to know what happened to the characters.

Now the Harry Potter books were obviously not intended for an adult audience but they were so well written and so vivid that they were truely a pleasure to read.

I read a lot of detective fiction and some if it isn't the highest caliber of writing but it's better than Twilight for sure.

JenniferOHcious
Half a shapely halibut

Postby JenniferOHcious » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:14 am

I'm one of those people addicted to Twilight. I hate it, but I love it. It's weird.

I'm seeing it Friday evening, I already have tickets. I'm a nerd.
Leave those poor sick monkeys alone, they have problems enough as it is.

meg1448
Half a shapely halibut

Postby meg1448 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:24 am

I thought the book was absolutely dreadfully written. I won't even start because I'll go on a huge rant about it...but ugh. :roll:
"If the divine master plan is perfection, maybe next I'll give Judas a try."

Spark by Tori Amos
DA account: http://modelmeg2003.deviantart.com/

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:56 am

meg1448 wrote:I thought the book was absolutely dreadfully written. I won't even start because I'll go on a huge rant about it...but ugh. :roll:

I'm soooo glad that I'm not the only one!

thestray
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby thestray » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:01 pm

Haha, even though I am a man I read some of Twilight, a girl talked me into it, and I'm a person who likes to give everything a fair shot even if it doesn't seem like something I'd be into. I read like half of it but couldn't finish. When she asked me what I thought I said "It's like a book for people who don't really read books."

closet jemainiac

Postby closet jemainiac » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:58 am

I have not gone near Twilight at all....I know a ton of girlfriends that are into it and obsess about that kid from the movie....Now I know I can stay away from it all and not miss anything...I cant read a book that's written for "people who dont really read books"... :)

Gracie

Postby Gracie » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:00 pm

I laughed when I read the first page of Twilight and I swear I thought the movie was a comedy. I was dragged along to see Twilight, but never again will I associate myself with it.

The ideals being put foward are so warped. (And no one has room for Harry these days. :hrmpf: )
La La La La

This is outrageous, this is contagious...So...futile.

Peaches

Postby Peaches » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:17 am

Bullcrap, I love Harry Potter! If that's what you're referring to....I hated the books, I don't slag anything off until I've read it...but woah, it's not called Twishite for nothin!
"Item 4 on the agenda: Stuff you!"

"Who else? Mur.. Ray... Oh. Greg's written this, he's put the R's too far apart. It's Murray.. Murray present"

ImageImage
ImageImageImage

Gracie

Postby Gracie » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:34 am

I've never heard anyone call it Twishite, lol. :roll2: But I've heard fans being called Twihards before.

Yeah, I was talkin bout Harry Potter. It's so sad that no one has room for it these days - Twlight has totally smacked HP's ass down the Bestsellers list.

And I saw this in the paper and it seriously said -

Surveyed Top 5 Books for Young Adults:

1. New Moon
2. Twilight
3. Eclipse
4. Breaking Dawn
5. Twilight (movie tie-in edition)
La La La La

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:44 am

Harry Potter will outlast the Twilight books. JK is a better writer and the HP books have loads more depth.

Having said that, I read the Twilight books and enjoyed the story if not the writing. :) I did wonder if an alien overtook both authors in their final books, though.....especially Stephenie.

Do not get me started on what JK did to Severus Snape. :evil: :hrmpf:

I'm truly looking forward to the movie treatment of Breaking Dawn.....a couple of scenes specifically..... :shock: Anyone who's read them will know what I'm talking about. There will either be lots of "Ewwwww!"s or laughter. Maybe both. Oh heck, it may even be 3 or 4 scenes...... :o :lol:
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Gracie

Postby Gracie » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:55 am

Laura, now you've got me interested, but I'm completely oblivious to what you're talking about. 8)

I really liked the 7th book, but I see what you mean about the alien hijack. Some of it was seriously strange (and at times hilarious!!!).

Snape is so (well not dreamy, but something)... :heart:

Some of these are classic: http://www.gorskys.com.au/articles/harr ... cepts.html

My sister wrote the very bottom one. She wrote other ones but they're on her now defunct computer. I shall retrieve them someday because they are gold.
La La La La

Peaches

Postby Peaches » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:29 am

Gracie wrote:Surveyed Top 5 Books for Young Adults:

1. New Moon
2. Twilight
3. Eclipse
4. Breaking Dawn
5. Twilight (movie tie-in edition)

I despair for their minds.

Harry Potter is popular with all ages, and genders...unlike Twilight.
"Item 4 on the agenda: Stuff you!"

"Who else? Mur.. Ray... Oh. Greg's written this, he's put the R's too far apart. It's Murray.. Murray present"

ImageImage
ImageImageImage

Return to “Off topic rambles”