How to be the most beautiful girl in the room

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
deliriumtree
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Re: How to be the most beautiful girl in the room

Postby deliriumtree » Sat May 02, 2009 11:49 pm

Yep, same thing here. Only brown. lol Why does rain make us poof? lol
"Hey Ya'll, I'm destroying your city!" And the Bret and Jemaine angels looked on in approval.

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Sun May 03, 2009 12:26 am

deliriumtree wrote:Yep, same thing here. Only brown. lol Why does rain make us poof? lol

We're rain all day today and MAJOR humidity and all I can go it put my hair up. I feel like Monica in that episode of friends when they went to the Bahamas.

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Sun May 03, 2009 12:46 am

Ok ladies. Banana clips. How bad are they these days? See, my hair is short and layers right now and the the ONLY way I can get it all up is with a banana clip. Don't ask me how I managed to have one laying around from the 80's but I did.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Tue May 05, 2009 7:24 am

Ah yes, memories of longer hair days! :D I also used BioSilk, and it made my hair so soft.
But the best conditioner I ever used was one made by Connie Stevens for HSN for her Forever Spring line. She doesn't make it anymore, though. :?

Did anyone see the spectacular photos of Turnip in Toronto?
Truly terrific, and such beautiful skin! (What's your secret?) :eyelashes:
And that lipstick - gorgeous! What kind/color is it, dear Turnip? :eyelashes:

I'll give you lots of days to come down from your cloud :whitey: and answer, my sweet.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Tue May 05, 2009 8:16 am

No, Nancy where are the pics?

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Wed May 06, 2009 7:32 am

She asked that they not be re-posted, so I'll honor her request.

I'll PM you.
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Wed May 06, 2009 7:55 am

Positively lovely Turnip!

ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

Postby ASmallTurnip » Wed May 06, 2009 8:50 am

Nancy Hillner wrote:Did anyone see the spectacular photos of Turnip in Toronto?
Truly terrific, and such beautiful skin! (What's your secret?) :eyelashes:
And that lipstick - gorgeous! What kind/color is it, dear Turnip? :eyelashes:

I'll give you lots of days to come down from your cloud :whitey: and answer, my sweet.

Ha! Nancy, I honestly still haven't stopped smiling. Every time I think about just breathing the same air as Nigel, I get a little giddy. Wish I were kidding.

And you are really, really sweet. I'm tremendously self-conscious about my skin, so I can't tell you how much that means to me. I long for the day when I don't have to cry enraged sobs over the spots I get on my chin. It's so massively, head-explodingly unfair. I'm a grown-up! This shouldn't happen to me! But there it is. I've felt badly about it, felt embarrassed and shy and self-loathing, and that hasn't done me a great deal of good. So I've decided to try something different.

I've taken a policy decision that, along with all the other things that don't thrill me about myself, it just doesn't matter as much as I think it does. I'm not tall and lithe and golden-skinned and all of the things I would like to be, but that's okay. I say to myself, and I say to all of you reading: there are bigger things out there than just your body. You are not alone in a vacuum. Everyone else is just as worried about their appearances as you are. Probably a lot of people think you're good-looking. Maybe they even envy you, for your bright eyes, or for your quick smile, or for your skill with words or numbers or crafts or music or sports.

Smart is for life. Beauty isn't.

And the lipstick? It's Sephora. Red Flirt, No. 13, and you can find it here.

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Wed May 06, 2009 9:51 am

Turnip, you are so darling. Good for you! I have the things that I don't like about my body just like everyone else but the way I see it is this: This is what God gave me to work with, I'm mostly healthy, I try to take care of myself and I'm grateful for what I have. I have 4 limbs that all work. I have eyes that see fairly well, I have ears that hear well and that's more than some people can say. Also, I personally think that what makes a person attractive on the outside is their inner beauty shining through. I've known lots of pretty looking people that really weren't that attractive because of who they were inside. I've known lots of people that you might not glance at twice to walk by them but they were incredibly sexy because of who they were as a person inside. And quite truly there is no accessory, bit of make-up or shred of clothing that an ever make anyone look quite as lovely as a genuine heartfelt smile.

That being said, that really is a fabulous lip color :D

Oh and on the spots front: I always had the most nicest skin. I never had many spots at a teen. Then when I was 25 I got pregnant and my skin has never been the same. I get these horrible underground bumps, the color is a bit ruddy and it's just not like it used to be. So I TOTALLY relate. And I'm freaking THIRTY! Who gets pimples at thirty! Sooo not fair.

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Wed May 06, 2009 11:50 am

I'm 37. I still get spots. And Etos has been out of stock of their spot treatment that I like so much! I've had the joy of discovering that my skin now breaks out in different ways here in the NL than it did in the US. Joy. :roll:
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Spumony5000
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Spumony5000 » Wed May 06, 2009 4:20 pm

I can totally relate Emafer and Turnip. I didn't really break out much as a teen (on my face)but now as an adult I break out in the same area the chin. I'm 29 and I was hoping it would get better but alas it hasn't. I've also recently discovered that I'm allergic to benzoyl peroxide (which trust me wasn't pretty).
I am probably just going to go to a dermatologist. When I was a young teen I had issues with bacne (back acne) and I went to dermatologist and it cleared right up.
Do you want to borrow my jumper Bowie?

dandy lyons
Consistently Mediocre

Postby dandy lyons » Wed May 06, 2009 6:12 pm

I found what helped my skin was cutting back on my dairy intake. (I can't cut it out completely - I love cheese too much!) I still get the odd spot but usually this happens after I've been on a week long cheese binge. :oops: So it's soy milk on my cereal in the mornings now and I try to buy organic dairy when I can. (I'm convinced it has something to do with the amount of hormones pumped into dairy cattle)
Gar·funk·ling (verb) Funky cuddling with the candles twinkling.

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Wed May 06, 2009 7:12 pm

I wish I was blessed with good skin in high school but it was the opposite. My skin has cleared up a lot since then but I still have some scarring. I find what works best is to develop a skin care routine and stick with it. I notice that when I switch products, my skin will break out. I saw a dermatologist recently and he prescribed a facial scrub by Vivant. It has a nice texture and my skin feels smoother after using it but I haven't noticed any other visible difference.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

Postby ASmallTurnip » Wed May 06, 2009 8:54 pm

indigo_jones wrote:I'm 37. I still get spots. And Etos has been out of stock of their spot treatment that I like so much! I've had the joy of discovering that my skin now breaks out in different ways here in the NL than it did in the US. Joy. :roll:

Ain't that fun? I love how my skin goes totally haywire whenever I fly back and forth from the UK to North America. In London, it gets all irritated from the hard calcium in the water, and in Toronto, it's so dry, so I spend my days itching like a monkey with nits. Not fun.

dandy lyons wrote:I found what helped my skin was cutting back on my dairy intake. (I can't cut it out completely - I love cheese too much!) I still get the odd spot but usually this happens after I've been on a week long cheese binge. :oops: So it's soy milk on my cereal in the mornings now and I try to buy organic dairy when I can. (I'm convinced it has something to do with the amount of hormones pumped into dairy cattle)

Cheese binging sounds AMAZING. I'm imagining myself facedown in an enormous wheel of brie. But there's no way on earth that I'm giving up dairy unless it's a matter of life and death. All my milk and yoghurt are organic these days, anyway (for ethical reasons more than anything else, really). I've heard that dairy can be an acne trigger for some people, but I don't think that's what's going on with my skin. At least, I really hope not.

Here's my bit of non-scientific garbage skin philosophy: There isn't any miracle lotion or potion out there that fixes everybody's skin, and what works for your best friend is probably not going to work for you. And what worked for you a year ago isn't necessarily what your skin needs now. That really expensive Creme de la Mer stuff (and its ilk) is, no matter what their advertising insidiously tries to convince you, precisely the same formulation that you can buy in any decent drugstore for a tenth of the price.

But there are two things you can do that really, truly do work, and help keep your skin looking great are: using sunscreen every day, and not smoking. That's it. Those are the secrets. Drinking enough water also helps a bit. Some gentle exfoliation, whether it's just with baking soda and a washcloth or alpha/beta hydroxy acids will probably make your face feel better, too. But really, for most of us, that'll do it. Persistent acne is a freaking nightmare, but it doesn't occur because you're doing something wrong (unless you're smearing axle grease or something weird on your face, so seriously, quit that!). It's just that your skin is particularly susceptible to a certain kind of bacteria, and your friendly neighbourhood dermatologist should be able to help you clear that up. It can be absolutely devastating to your self-esteem (oh my god, I've been there), but you don't have to endure it. There are lots and lots of options, and if your dermatologist isn't helping you find the solution that works for you, don't hesitate to find one who will.

That's all I got. But I emphatically recommend any of Paula Begoun's books for further sensible, impeccably-researched, and positive info. She's amazing.

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Wed May 06, 2009 8:57 pm

Jeesh whatever turnip - your skin is glowly, dewey, peaches and creamy in every pic I've seen.
90% evil
ImageImage

Return to “Off topic rambles”