How to be the most beautiful girl in the room

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

Re: How to be the most beautiful girl in the room

Postby ASmallTurnip » Wed May 06, 2009 9:03 pm

SheWolf wrote:Jeesh whatever turnip - your skin is glowy, dewey, peaches and creamy in every pic I've seen.

I would like to thank the Academy, my agent, and Clinique Soft Finish foundation.

And god. Every rapper knows you gotta thank god for every good skin day, yo.

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.

Val2150
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Val2150 » Thu May 07, 2009 12:58 am

I'll agree Turnip, your skin is just beautiful. Ooh, how I hate acne - and it always flares up whenever I'm stressed out (like now). I found like three new spots on my face just today! I think I've tried every skin care product known to man. And just when I thought I was getting it under control.... :doh:

I did just find an awesome face cream though - Weleda intensive almond face cream. My skin dries out and flakes like that's it's job, but this stuff cleared that right up.
"You do not choose sexy. Sexy chooses you." -mohumbai mania

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Thu May 07, 2009 4:56 am

Ditto all those who have complimented your glowing skin, Turnip. And thanks for the lipstick info. :D

I'm afraid to say this out loud - I've always been pretty lucky with my skin, with no major breakouts. :worry:

I used Noxzema as a cleanser for years and years, then moisturized with Vitamin E oil.
Now I use Adrien Arpel's Signature Club A Mousse Cleanser, and Squalane Oil for moisturizer. But as has been said, different things work for each person, so it's a search-and-discover mission.

I also agree with you Turnip about the cost - it doesn't have to break the bank to work well. Your local drug store or HSN on the internet can be good sources of quality products at reasonable prices. :nod:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu May 07, 2009 5:22 am

Want to hear a wild tip? A friend recently clued me in here. If anyone here uses Bare Minerals, aka Bare Escentuals and you use the primer before the foundation, here's a cheap and fabulous replacement: Monistat Anti-Chafing Gel. :shock: That's right, Monistat.
It has exactly the same ingredients and can be had for $4.99-$7.99 depending on where you get it. I got mine at Walmart for $5.99. It makes your skin feel like silk and makes a nice even and smooth surface upon which to apply your foundation. I have oily skin everywhere except for my dry cheeks and it doesn't add any shine. here's what to look for: http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod. ... atid=26832 I was told Walgreens, Rite Aid, Walmart, etc made their own versions of this but I've yet to find any.

Here's one place discussing it: http://forum.purseblog.com/the-beauty-b ... 07889.html If you Google, you'll find tons more.

Another thing I've recently discovered, is a mineral powder called Everyday Minerals. The same friend gave me the heads-up about them since they offer a really nice free sample set that is quite generous! You only pay $2.50 shipping! https://www.everydayminerals.com/

So, I did it and one of the choices I made was for a concealer called Mint, for people with red cheeks or rosacea. I never thougth I could cover up my red cheeks but figured, eh- I'll try it. OMG....it's amazing. A little of this in my kabuki and a few brushes- and the red disappeared!!
:shock: I couldn't believe it. I went on to apply the foundation and then my beloved Mineral Veil and my skin looked better than it had in years. I just ordered the full-size which was only $8.00! Their stuff is affordable and I love their foundation, too. But their version of mineral veil couldn't compare, not for me at least.

Don't know if anyone uses this stuff but thought I'd share! :)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Thu May 07, 2009 7:17 am

I'm also a Bare Escentials girl, Laura. I really like the feel of it, and even though the summers can be very humid here, I have yet to see a bead of sweat when I wear it. And it takes so little product to make up your face! :thumb:

I don't use their primer, but that sounds like an interesting alternative. Monistat? All I can think of is their other ..er..feminine products. :wink:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Thu May 07, 2009 8:33 am

For like 10 years I had the same skin care regime. Soap and Oil of Olay. My skin was great. Then I moved to Colorado. I change it up to Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser and Eucerin CoQ10 Anti Wrinkle Cream. Here in Memphis I'm back to soap and Oil of Olay. But I'm beginning to admit that as I've gotten older maybe my skin care needs are different. I'm thinking that maybe I need to change some things up to really take care of those fine lines around my eyes and the ruddiness in my cheeks. The thing is that I'm allergic to everything so I'm scared to try anything new. I've tried things like Aveno face cream for sensitive skin and it made my face literally burn.

Also, I've never ever ever worn foundation on a daily basis but I'm thinking that it might be time to look for something light to help even my skin tone. I always wear powder all over my face but that's it. Maybe there's some kind of face cream with some pigment that would cover both needs and then I wouldn't have to wear an actual foundation.

Any thoughts?

Val2150
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Val2150 » Thu May 07, 2009 2:38 pm

Em, I've seen a bunch of tinted moisturizers that seem like what you're looking for. Can't think of the names of them right now though. I'll try to find them and post 'em here later.

I also like Murad Skin Perfecting Lotion. It's really light and non-oily, and it has retinol in it which, at least for me, really evened out my skin tone. The only problem is it makes your skin SUPER sensititive to the sun, so you have to be really vigilant with the sunscreen.
"You do not choose sexy. Sexy chooses you." -mohumbai mania

eejm
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby eejm » Thu May 07, 2009 2:50 pm

I've had oily, breakout prone skin since junior high. I'm now 32 and it shows no signs of subsiding, but now I get more cystic acne (those big, under the skin yuckies) than before. I resisted trying Proactiv for a long time, mostly due to their annoying infomercials. But I finally relented and...it works. Really well. It doesn't clear up every spot, but my skin is soooo much clearer now than it ever has been. The cost is kind of a deterrent (a set of the cleanser, toner, and lotion is about $50), but it's worth it to have clear skin after all of these years.

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Thu May 07, 2009 2:51 pm

If you add another product to your regimen, your skin will probably react to it. It usually takes a week or two for your skin to get used to a product. My skin tends to get oily so I've been skipping moisturizer altogether but I find it helpful to use an eye cream. Clinique-All About Eyes is the one I've been using lately. It's nice because it's moisturizing without being greasy. I'm not too picky about what I use though. If you visit a department store, you could always ask the sales associates to give little samples of cream so you can find one that works for you.

There are tinted moisturizer to even out your skin tone. It's much lighter than foundation but will still give you some coverage. Or if you want to skip that altogether, I recommend just using a foundation primer before applying powder. It makes your skin feel and look smoother and gives a nice matte finish.

And speaking of primers, I'll have to try that Monistat Anti-Chafing Gel that Laura recommended. I spend way too much at Sephora so I need to cut back where I can.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu May 07, 2009 3:27 pm

Nancy Hillner wrote:I'm also a Bare Escentials girl, Laura. I really like the feel of it, and even though the summers can be very humid here, I have yet to see a bead of sweat when I wear it. And it takes so little product to make up your face! :thumb:

I don't use their primer, but that sounds like an interesting alternative. Monistat? All I can think of is their other ..er..feminine products. :wink:

I know- me too! But you will be amazed. It has no medication in it- it's just a gel-to-powdery stuff that you can use anywhere you would chafe. But since the ingredients are the same as what's found in the primer products, someone decided to try it on their face and- voila! Check around online, you'll find loads of people who've replaced their Clinique, Sephora, BE and other pricey primers with this.

I wasn't sure at first since I'd never even used a primer but it's like you're prepping your face for the first application of the powder foundation- it really feels silky smooth.

I have to use moisturizer on my cheeks- in the past year they have become as dry and falky as a desert, ugh. They've never been this bad. Right now I'm just using Aveeno Soothing Relief Moisture Cream for Baby and it's fragrance free. Seems to be working. The rest of my face? As oily as ever but I swear- I do not get breakthrough shine using the Minerals. I used to carry my translucent powder compact with me everywhere and applied it over and over and over all day long. Now? Mineral Veil over the powder foundation- which is so very light, not ata ll like wearing a liquid foundation- and if I touch it up again, I only do it once. Amazing. :thumb:
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Fri May 08, 2009 4:01 am

OK so with a like a primer how does it wear like through a day or evening? Especially in humidity. I mean, there are days here that are so humid that you could break a sweat just readjusting your seat.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Fri May 08, 2009 4:31 am

Laura is the primer expert, I've never used one. I haven't had to. I just use Bare Escentials (it's a powder full of minerals that goes on silky smooth), and I never have to touch it up all day. My skin doesn't absorb it and my pores don't stand out, and my eyes never have that creasy thing happen any more. I'd say if you want to try something like it that's a little cheaper, check the beauty counter at the drug store because almost every cosmetic brand now has a mineral/powder foundation.
Either that or I'd go with a tinted moisturizer, they're always good.

I'd also think about using something other than soap - it can really dry out your skin, unless it's an olive oil soap. Maybe try a gentle cleanser (Oil of Olay or Noxzema?).
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Fri May 08, 2009 7:48 am

This is all good stuff ladies. I'm soaking it all in. I'm thinking about going to the MAC counter and sitting there with one of the girls and just testing everything one slow afternoon. That might help give me an idea of what I'm looking at. And that way I can try a bunch of stuff out and without having to commit and buy something that I might not like.

Nancy, in CO I used a really good moisturizing cleanser. But in Memphis it's so humid that Dove soap is really just fine. I'll be back in CO this summer and will probably go back to my ould routine while I'm out there. I have to say that one excellent thing about Colorado is that it's so dry you're make-up always looks fabulous. And in the winter it's like it freezes perfectly on your face and doesn't dare move hahahaha.

But about olive oil soap: I used Kiss My Face Olive Oil and Aloe Vera for like 10 years. Soooooooo wonderful. And if you leave it in the shower you have to make sure to have a little soap rack because otherwise it just turns to mush. But I love that stuff, even the smell is gorgeous.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Fri May 08, 2009 8:09 am

My dear, departed Uncle was a sales rep for Lever brothers, so Dove holds a special place in my memory. It's a good one. :thumb:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Fri May 08, 2009 9:25 am

That's so sweet. My grandfather was a rep for Jergens lotion for a while and the smell always reminds my mother of her childhood.

I use Dove sensitive skin since I'm allergic to perfumes and such.

Return to “Off topic rambles”