How to be the most beautiful girl in the room

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
SheWolf
Boom King!

Re: How to be the most beautiful girl in the room

Postby SheWolf » Mon May 24, 2010 4:03 pm

Emafer wrote:SW- How much Vitamin D are you taking? Are you doing the d3? Last week I took 1,200mg and this week I'm stepping it up toe 1,600. My mom insists that I should be taking 10 THOUSAND mg I just have the 400 mg tabs right now.

d3 2,000 IUs daily. That is the current recommended dose. Blood tests showed I was deficient months ago but since i now take the pill the levels are normal.
90% evil
ImageImage

closet jemainiac

Postby closet jemainiac » Mon May 24, 2010 4:22 pm

Emafer wrote:SW- How much Vitamin D are you taking? Are you doing the d3? Last week I took 1,200mg and this week I'm stepping it up toe 1,600. My mom insists that I should be taking 10 THOUSAND mg I just have the 400 mg tabs right now.

Em (and anyone else taking ANY vitamin supplement) be careful about taking so much vit D. According to my nutrition reference/text book, the upper tolerable limit for VitD as a supplement is 50 MICROGRAMS. The abbreviation for that unit looks like this----ug or mcg. And too much can certainly be toxic. It can leach the calcium out of your bones, cause kidney stones, and calcify soft tissues in your body with long term overdosing.

You have fair skin and its good you use suncreen regularly, but it really doesnt take a lot to get your body to make its own vit d from the sun. Just expose your hands, face, and arms for 5-10 minutes 3 times a week.

here's a reference link from a reputable source (i.e. one that is not trying to sell you something)
http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitamind.asp

:hug:
edit to add-
IU (international units) is another unit used to measure tiny amounts (i.e. for vitamin reference ranges) mcg and IU are much smaller units than mgs (miligrams) The FDA doesnt regulate vitamin supplements like they do prescription medication, so anyone can sell anything in any amount, but that doesnt mean its good for you.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Mon May 24, 2010 4:53 pm

Under a doctor's care, I'm on 2000 IU of D3 per day, which has brought my D levels into normal range. I agree with CJ, be very careful of taking too much of any supplement. :shock:

You folks are inspiring me to get fitted! I want those t-shirts to look fabulous this summer. :eyelashes:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

closet jemainiac

Postby closet jemainiac » Mon May 24, 2010 4:58 pm

yes its best to consult with your dr. about taking supplements.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Mon May 24, 2010 5:18 pm

Absolutely. We're all different, and what may work for one of us may be too much for someone else. It's always safer to run it by your doctor first.

I was wondering - has anyone ever used spray tanning to get that healthy glow? I have a wedding in July, and was thinking I always look soooo pale, I might try it. I don't know anyone who has done it. Any ideas? :dunno:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Mon May 24, 2010 5:27 pm

I tried using spray tanner a few times as a teen but not lately. I was always afraid it was going to look streaky or uneven. My advice is to exfoliate before you apply it so it goes on evenly. I'd be too scared to use it on my face and if you are too, just use bronzer.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Mon May 24, 2010 8:03 pm

I just finished dying my hair jet black to hide the highlights I had done last year and I love it! My roots are coming in black but the ends are more of a medium brown (see last year's hug photo w/Jem). Except my hair is now dryer than it was before. I'm thinking about stopping at the Lush store and picking up a bottle of that rehab shampoo mohumbhai mania was talking about and some conditioner. Perhaps Coolaulin (it smells like coconuts, mmmm!).
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Mon May 24, 2010 11:31 pm

Thanks for the info CJ. My endocrinologist who found the deficiency is the one who recommended the amount I'm currently taking.

I use self tanners but I've never tried spray tanning. Since I'm fair I use the Jergens stuff sparingly to get me to a state where my legs & arms aren't glow in the dark white. I'm not aiming for a deep tan (though it can do that if you apply often) I just aim to look like normal people. Ha! The stuff works well until it starts to break apart and looks like freckles. I hate that. I actually like my 'porcelain' skin (sound better than pale/pasty right?) but I haven't yet had the courage to expose it all in summer clothing hence the self tanner.

I dyed my hair yesterday and now my roots are bright and shimmery red for this weekend. :yawinkle:
90% evil
ImageImage

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Mon May 24, 2010 11:55 pm

Ooh, you folks, gettin' primped for the big weekend! :supz:
Close-up pics on those roots, ladies!

I was wondering about the spray tanning you do at a salon, like the one they use on Dancing With The Stars, in the shower-type stall. I'd be hopeless and streaky if I tried it myself. :oops:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Tue May 25, 2010 12:18 am

Nancy wrote:I was wondering about the spray tanning you do at a salon, like the one they use on Dancing With The Stars, in the shower-type stall. I'd be hopeless and streaky if I tried it myself. :oops:
Yes I know that's what you were referring to. I just went off on a tangent anyway. LOL. I wonder about them too as 2 spray tan salons have opened in the area recently.

Nancy wrote:Ooh, you folks, gettin' primped for the big weekend! :supz:

Yes ma'am

90% evil
ImageImage

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Tue May 25, 2010 1:00 am

Ohhh, what a hot redhead not warhead! :eyelashes: Looking so ready!
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

jillbean
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby jillbean » Tue May 25, 2010 2:35 am

Nancy wrote:Ooh, you folks, gettin' primped for the big weekend! :supz:

I was wondering about the spray tanning you do at a salon, like the one they use on Dancing With The Stars, in the shower-type stall. I'd be hopeless and streaky if I tried it myself. :oops:

Nancy,

I did go to a salon and get a spray tan for a wedding I was in last fall. I went in the day before the wedding and the color faded away within a week's time. If I were to do it again I would do it 2 or 3 days out since I felt I looked darker than I wanted to. It did not smell bad, did not streak and no time was required being baked in a booth.

That said, if you have any hang-ups about body issues and being seen by other people than this could be a little traumatic! :lol: I went to a place where they use an air sprayer to do you from head to toe which took me by surprise since I was expecting to be in a booth that sprays you from all sides. And while the esthetician was very professional it was still a bit awkward.

I went to an Aveda salon so it was a little pricey but I really liked the spray they used (it was not super stinky) so that was worth the price. I did have to stand in front of a fan for 20 minutes after wards to let it dry and was impressed that it did not rub off on my clothing at all when I got dressed. I did exfoliate before going and did not apply any deodorant or lotion to avoid any possible interactions (I read some horror stories about people ending up with green armpits!). They did recommend I wait until the next morning to shower; I was glad to see nothing rubbed off on my bed sheets overnight.

So, my very long response can be summed up as: "yes, I did and it was a good thing." :wink:

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Tue May 25, 2010 2:48 am

Thanks for the info on the D3 girls. I had no idea. My mom says things like, "And too much won't hurt you because it's all natural" like she's some kind of expert. I'll have to ask my Dr.

I have never done a spray tan. I wanted to try it for a friend's wedding but I was told that they can often peel oddly.

However, I was a party yesterday in a dress and my legs were soooooo white that people wanted to stand next to me so they could look tan. So yeah, I think I might try some lotions to get the glow in the dark feel to go away.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Tue May 25, 2010 4:48 am

Like SW and a lot of you, I'm "porcelain-skinned", so this seems like a good alternative to burning to a crisp. :red:

Thanks for the info, jillbean! We have a salon that offers air spray tans, so I may check it out.
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Tue May 25, 2010 6:29 am

Definitely check out it well in advance of the wedding, Nancy, just to be sure that you'll be happy with how you look. You don't want to look orange or blotchy (depending on the skill of the person doing it and the brand of tanner they use).

Now that our weather has gotten warm again, I'll be breaking out the Jergens self-tanner lotion today, too. I just about blinded myself with the sun hitting my white skin yesterday! :lol:
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Return to “Off topic rambles”