Pets, pets and more pets

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Re: Pets, pets and more pets

Postby mockingbird » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:56 am

Thanks guys.

This is actually the second vet I have taken her to. They both quoted me around the same price, but this vet is a little cheaper. I did some online research and apparently $1000 is about the cheapest you can expect to get this surgery for. This second vet is very nice, he offered to loan us a cage to keep her in and he said he'd look into ordering her anti-inflammatory in bulk and then just charging us cost. She has to take it for at least three months after the surgery.

I asked the vet about her quality of life and he said about 6 months after the surgery she should be back to about 90%. He said we can reasonably expect her to be pretty much as active and mobile as she was before for the next 3 - 4 years.

Red
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Red » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:48 am

Poor Lady and Mock. :( We were in a very similar situation when our 9 year old Husky Misha tore her ACL last July. The surgery was about $1500 and she had months of recovery. I feel your pain on the expense. We had to put it on a credit card and just finished paying it off. It was a rough 3 or 4 months after the surgery of keeping her calm - no running, playing, jumping, or stairs. But now she is back to her old self and only has pain when she over does it at playing or running. She been extremely good about learning her new limits though so she rarely has pain. She also has arthritis in her hips but the only med she takes is Glucosamine daily and it is well managed.

Do you know the name of the anti-inflammatory, Mock? Some times the same active ingredient will be available in a human drug and the vet can write you an Rx to take to a pharmacy and it will be a lot cheaper. A friend of mine had been spending an arm and a leg on a "brand new" arthritis med for her dog. She had me look at it and the same ingredient has been available in a people drug for ages and it's a fraction of the price. Even if it's only for dogs, you should shop around. PetCareRx.com and 1800petmeds.com often have much better prices than vets on meds.

You and Lady will be in my thoughts. I hope everything works out. :hug:

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:54 am

Oh, mock, you, Lady,and your family are in my thoughts. :goodman:

My Shih Tzu, Moose, had to have both ACLs done, years apart, thankfully, and the price was right up there with what you quoted. I would think there might be a network of some kind to help post op dogs through their tough times. Perhaps a vet school would be happy to help with the hands on aspect of things. (100 lbs? Really? Oy!)

The idea of ordering through an online source is a good one. The vet's office that I worked in guaranteed to match the price of PetMeds.com, which was much less than we charged, so the client saved a good bit.
If you have any doubts about making a difficult decision, I always ask the vet, "What would you do?" And take his answer to heart. My best wishes to you and Lady.

Keep us posted on her progress.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:05 pm

I have nothing to add except I hope everything works out with Lady, mock. :(
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:17 am

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the good wishes. I passed along your words of support to Lady, and she says, "wag wag". :)

Red - it's called Deramaxx. I don't know what the extra "x" is for, dramatic effect I guess. ;) There's a much cheaper drug called Rimadyl but apparently it has some bad side effects and labradors are particularly susceptible to them. :roll: I checked PetMeds and it's about $100 for a month's supply. That's still a lot, but it's better than $150, so thanks for the tip. I'll see if my vet can do any better with his bulk discount.

Nancy - She's actually 106. She's a big fat dog. She was like that when we got her. I've tried to get her to slim down but to no avail. The vet said he thinks she might have a thyroid problem. My poor dog is falling apart.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:41 am

And the extra weight puts stress on the legs, poor puppy.

My Shih-Tzu was on Rimadyl and it successfully treated his pain with no side effects. It's too bad labs are susceptible to bad side effects from it.
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Tue May 24, 2011 4:30 am

I've been meaning to write this for awhile now. Before I moved into my apartment, I had to stay at my brother's and couldn't have my cat, Diesel with me for about 2 weeks. He was in a woman's home, apart from her pets, in his own room with his box and food. When I picked him up to take him home, he nuzzled my hand all the way home, and once we got to our new apartment, he adapted to his new surroundings very well. For the first time in 15 years, every time I sat down he jumped up and sat on my lap. I now have a true lap cat! :love: He jumps up on my shoulders when I'm at the desk on the computer, and enjoys watching me win and lose at slots. :roll:

This weekend I'm going to my 40th college reunion. I'll be leaving at about noon on Saturday, and returning at about 8 on Sunday night. Unfortunately, since it's Memorial Day weekend, none of my relatives will be around to come way down here and peek in to check on Diesel. I'm not comfortable enough with anyone who lives here to leave my keys with them and ask them to look in. I'm really not too worried about leaving him alone, since it's a little over a day, and he'll have plenty of food and water and probably the radio on for a companion. I'm thinking about leaving two litter boxes so he has extra places for his "business". Does this sound cool to you guys?
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Wed May 25, 2011 3:42 pm

It does...cats are independent but since it's not too removed from his experience of being away from you he may be a bit upset. Do they make cat Kongs? Those rubber things that you can stick snacks into and they really have to work/play a lot to get them out? Maybe take your pillowcase (the one you've been using and smells of you) and put it in his bed. I'm sure he'll be fine and be alllll over you again when you come home!

Have a blast! :D
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Wed May 25, 2011 10:31 pm

I think you've done great prep work. Diesel will be fine, I'm sure. You can give him some extra TLC when you get back. That's interesting that he's developed a new fondness for sitting on you after all this time. :lol: So cool. :heart:
Image..Image..Image

ItsAllRyche
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby ItsAllRyche » Thu May 26, 2011 2:50 am

I think it is cute that he now realizes what a great mommy you are. My cat Princess has ignored me upon return of every trip. We took in another stray and now she wants to hang with me. It took the threat of another cat getting my attention to make her realize how great a mommy I am.

Mock, not sure about your lab. I am sorry but I don't recall reading any update.
I lost my Teemu this past winter, she was on rimadyl for over a year. She was a large white Shepard, (pic on my facebook page.) She was a stray and once I saved her she would overeat a lot and gained weight, dogs never forget hunger. It is hard to have them lose weight after being starved in prior life.
[img]Arj-Barker-Banner-arj-barker-230459_800_100[/img]

Return to “Off topic rambles”