Pets, pets and more pets

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
Emafer

Re: Pets, pets and more pets

Postby Emafer » Fri May 07, 2010 5:52 am

I hope that everything with Rex goes well Nance, I don't know anything about cats so I'm sorry I have nothing to add.

But I do have another question for the group. As most of you know, we are moving into a new house. I'll be living with my old roommate Amber, our friend Shelly, her 2 1/2 year old Jackson, Amber's dog Toby and Cali. Well Toby fixates on Jackson and we think that he's afraid of him. He barks in Jackson's face and will try to nip at him or his feet if someone is holding him. Jackson doesn't ever poke or prod or kick Toby. He doesn't even cry when Toby barks loudly right in his face. He's just very calm and stands his ground. Shelly is a vet tech and is great with dogs so she's doing some with with Toby and with Toby and Jackson together. Toby is pretty big, he's a German Shepard/ Lab mix and he and Jackson are pretty much eye to eye. We think that Toby is afraid of Jackson and just doesn't know what to make of him.

Any thoughts on getting Toby a little more socialized with Jackson. We don't want to worry about them being alone in a room together or the possability of Toby biting Jackson. Toby has never bitten anyone or anything but he does see to be more aggressive around Jackson and we are a little worried.

Aimee
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Aimee » Fri May 07, 2010 3:32 pm

Nancy--is there any way you can have the pharmacy make Rex's medicine as a suspension? My previous cat was on medicine for quite a while for hyperthyroidism and I use to have her prescription filled as a suspension and then just pour it over her food. Hope he is doing well!

Emafer--maybe you could figure out how to create a positive association of Jackson for Toby? For example (this would take a while) but when you notice Toby being calm around jackson give him a reward and continue with that until he learns to stay calm around the baby? We watch a show called "It's Me or the Dog" and the trainer uses some great methods to train dogs with behavior problems.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Fri May 07, 2010 8:49 pm

Thanks for the tip, Aimee. They gave me a powder for him. I just need to mix powder over his food, so it's much easier than pills.
He's been good since Wednesday, so cross your fingers! :pray:

Em, I think Aimee's got the right idea. My first thought would be check out the Dog Whisperer, but It's Me Or The Dog is good as well. There's always something about kids being regarded as litter mates and not leaders, but I can't remember the methods used to make dogs accept little ones. Lately, though, I've had pretty good luck posing my question to Google. They've been most helpful directing me to the proper resources.
Good luck! :thumb:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Mon May 10, 2010 12:59 am

OK, I'm sorry but I just have to vent. Amber and I just took Cali and Toby to the park by our house. Dogs who obey sight and sound commands are allowed off leash so both dogs were off leash. We were all playing happily and there was a black lab there as well who was playing with Cali. Well a couple comes in with their yellow lab. Cali is super friendly and runs up with her tail wagging and barks hello. They throw the ball for their dog and Cali runs along with him and both dogs are barking and playing. Well the wife flips out and yells to me, "You need to call your dog because he doesn't like it and it's going to start a fight." I roll my eyes and call Cali and she plays for a second more and then comes running for me. I roll he on the ground and give her a good rub.

So Cali is playing more with the black lab in the exact same way that she was playing with the yellow lab and they are both having a great time. And the black lab's owners are laughing and fine with it and having a great time. Well Cali runs over again to the yellow lab and is barking trying to get it to play and the wife, who was on the phone 30 feet away comes marching over again and yells to me, "Seriously? You need to get your dog away!" I said, She's just being friendly" and call her to me. Cali starts running to me so I tell her, "Good girl." The lady says to her husband, loud enough for the whole park to hear, "Good girl? What an a**hole." I never would have said anything but I have been in a mood today. So I yelled to her kindly, with a smile. "If your dog doesn't like playing with other dogs then keep him on a leash." She yelled back, "He can't play by himself without being bothered?" I said, "This is a dog park, if he wants to be alone then keep him at home." She started yelling more crap about, "We've lived her for years and never had this problem. And those other people don't want her doing that to their dog either bla bla bla but I just put Cali on her leash and walked in the other direction.

I understand that if you have a dog that isn't a working breed that you might not understand some of their behavior. But seriously, Cali was waggin her tail, smiling the whole time, had her tongue hanging out of her mouth. When a dog is aggressive they don't do those sorts of things no matter what breed they are.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Mon May 10, 2010 6:27 am

Oy! :doh:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

ItsAllRyche
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby ItsAllRyche » Mon May 10, 2010 6:37 am

I agree, being a dog owner, when I take my dogs to the dog park it is for socializing with other dogs.

If they don't want their dog playing with other dogs then why take them to dog park when other dogs are there?

crazy times
[img]Arj-Barker-Banner-arj-barker-230459_800_100[/img]

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Mon May 10, 2010 7:03 am

HA! I just found out that that park is NOT a dog park and that you can get a ticket for having your dog off leash. So YEAH! People who have lived here forever and never had a problem. You should KNOW better anyway.

jillbean

Postby jillbean » Mon May 10, 2010 11:29 pm

Emafer,

Are you kidding me right now?! There was no growling, nipping, hackles raised or teeth bared (aside from the other owner) and she was still flipping out (well, when not too busy on the phone)? Wow. I would bet that there are other people at that park that can give you some good stories about interactions they have had with her.

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Mon May 10, 2010 11:52 pm

Nope, none of those things, Cali doesn't growl, nip bar her teeth or get her hackles raised. EVER. NEVER ever. She is just playful and she'll bark to get another dog to play or to get someone to throw the ball for them, that's it.

deliriumtree

Postby deliriumtree » Tue May 11, 2010 12:06 am

Em, take it from someone who knows. Dog owners are crazy!!! lol! Wtf board members are the exception, not the rule. :lol: Dealing with the overly opinionated, ill informed dog own populace is maddening. Walking away was the right decision. That's about all you can do with people like that. You can't reason with someone who knows they are right (even if they aren't). Reminds me of the lady who wanted a schnauzer clip. Insisted a true schnauzer clip was a shave down. Not longer legs, a bit of skirt etc... Even when I showed her a picture in a breed book, she argued! Yeah... I'm the idiot lady. :rolleyes: She also owns a "rare black bichon." Uh-huh...
"Hey Ya'll, I'm destroying your city!" And the Bret and Jemaine angels looked on in approval.

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Tue May 11, 2010 12:16 am

I have just had the rare good fortue of having friends who are dog owners and KNOW dogs. I mean, when I got Cali I wasn't just running randomly into it. I researched what kind of breed or mix I wanted, what traits would work best with my lifestyle so that I would have a happy put and how they interact with other dogs. I guess most people just say, "Cute! I want a dog!" and then get it and feed it crap and don't learn anything about it. In my opinion that is irresponsible but what do I know. Millions of people own dogs.

closet jemainiac

Postby closet jemainiac » Tue May 11, 2010 9:53 am

deliriumtree wrote: She also owns a "rare black bichon." Uh-huh...

:rolls: Oh lordy, I hadnt heard that in awhile.....

People like that are the reason why I left the veterinary profession...Spoiled, self rightous
a-holes with ill behaved dogs. There's no use arguing with them just nod and walk away....

Aimee

Postby Aimee » Tue May 11, 2010 2:41 pm

Yeah Emafer, sounds like the owner lady had a problem, not her dog! I think you did the right thing--but I know how you feel. I took my doggy to a dog park and saw the same thing happen and I was just like :wtf: Why are you even here?!

deliriumtree

Postby deliriumtree » Tue May 11, 2010 10:23 pm

Exactly CJ!

Emafer wrote:I guess most people just say, "Cute! I want a dog!" and then get it and feed it crap and don't learn anything about it. In my opinion that is irresponsible but what do I know. Millions of people own dogs.

You've got it about nailed there! People who do their research like you, Em, are unfortunately rare. (We love dog owners like you, though!)
"Hey Ya'll, I'm destroying your city!" And the Bret and Jemaine angels looked on in approval.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Tue May 11, 2010 10:46 pm

Ok, you guys have to fill me in on the "rare black bichon" thing. Bichon Frise's are only white, right? :worry:
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Return to “Off topic rambles”