Pets, pets and more pets

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
closet jemainiac

Re: Pets, pets and more pets

Postby closet jemainiac » Tue May 11, 2010 10:53 pm

that's right. The folks that are usually gullible enough believe that are gullible enough to pay anything for something little and "rare".....:roll:

these are also the same folks that buy "teacup" puppies (read the sickest, most mutated dogs, often raised in the worst conditions) off the internet for $600-900 then dont want to pay for it to get vaccinated or hospitalized when it gets parvo... :?

User avatar
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta
Posts: 9055
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 9:40 pm

Re: Pets, pets and more pets

Postby Nancy » Tue May 11, 2010 11:34 pm

Boy, I guess I was really lucky to have mostly wonderful owners to deal with when I worked at my Vet's office. They just had their animal's well-being in mind, which made our job so much easier. I'm sorry you folks have had such er...not-nice, uneducated owners.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

User avatar
deliriumtree
David Bowie's nipple antennae
Posts: 1318
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:05 pm

Re: Pets, pets and more pets

Postby deliriumtree » Tue May 11, 2010 11:47 pm

Yup! Bichons are only white. If it's not white... it's probably a poodle! :D I'm never sure if they get the idea from a breeder or if it's just some weird thing in their head. :rolleyes: I did have a guy once complain no one could style his "maltese" correctly, no one could get it's coat straight and silky. The reason for that? That dog was a poodle. :lol: But, the breeder said... he kept saying. He ended up leaving mad.

Like CJ says there are people who will pay for "rare" even though rare turns out be a sham. (Right as well on the teacup dogs.) There's money in disinformation I guess.
Image
"Hey Ya'll, I'm destroying your city!" And the Bret and Jemaine angels looked on in approval.

Emafer

Re: Pets, pets and more pets

Postby Emafer » Wed May 12, 2010 12:09 am

deliriumtree wrote:Exactly CJ!

Emafer wrote:I guess most people just say, "Cute! I want a dog!" and then get it and feed it crap and don't learn anything about it. In my opinion that is irresponsible but what do I know. Millions of people own dogs.


You've got it about nailed there! People who do their research like you, Em, are unfortunately rare. (We love dog owners like you, though!)



I think that it's sad that my attitude is rare. I mean, when I got a dog I knew that I needed to be a good match for the dog as much as the dog was for me. So I researched a LOT of breed info. I knew what I liked in a dog. When I picked Cali up I told the owners that I would take her for the weekend and see if it was a good fit for her and if not I would bring her back so that she could find a better home.

It drives me nuts people who just randomly see a dog in a pet shop window and then say "I WANT IT!" and know nothing about it. Like, HELLO are you 8 years old????? And these are the same people that force their dogs to live THEIR lifestyle where it fits the dog or not. Like Cali's previous owners who raised her in a crate 8 hours a day in an apartment walking the block twice a day. And they wonder why she has separation anxiety.

User avatar
jillbean
Registered Rhymnecologist
Posts: 456
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 2:34 am

Re: Pets, pets and more pets

Postby jillbean » Wed May 12, 2010 2:25 am

deliriumtree wrote:Yup! Bichons are only white. If it's not white... it's probably a poodle! :D I'm never sure if they get the idea from a breeder or if it's just some weird thing in their head. :rolleyes: I did have a guy once complain no one could style his "maltese" correctly, no one could get it's coat straight and silky. The reason for that? That dog was a poodle. :lol: But, the breeder said... he kept saying. He ended up leaving mad.

Like CJ says there are people who will pay for "rare" even though rare turns out be a sham. (Right as well on the teacup dogs.) There's money in disinformation I guess.


My boss totally falls into this category (though he is a nice guy, just not very proactive). His family decided to get a second dog so the 1 year old lab they already had would have a buddy. His wife and oldest daughter (19) called from the MALL and said they had just found the cutest puppy and he was so perfect and they just had to get him. He says okay.

Fast forward to a week later where he tells me they got a new puppy and offers to show me a pic. I take one look and say "oh, a beagle!" and he says "you know, people keep saying that but he isn't." Okay, if this dog is not a beagle then Snoopy was a caricature of a Rottweiler. I ask what the dog is and he responds that the sign, the people at the pet store and the papers state he is a mix between a King Charles Cavalier and a cocker spaniel. Um, neither of those look remotely beagle-like and this puppy was very beagle-like. I tell him he may want to google images of the two dogs it is supposed to be a mix of. And then one of a beagle.

A couple of weeks later I ask how the puppy is doing and he, a bit shamefaced, says "yeah...I think it is a beagle. I looked at pictures and he's at least mostly beagle. He even does that "baying" sound. So, we paid for a really cute mutt."

At least he has a sense of humor about it.

Emafer

Re: Pets, pets and more pets

Postby Emafer » Wed May 12, 2010 2:42 am

Um, hello! Yeah, a Beagle has a very distinct bark. What morons!

Emafer

Re: Pets, pets and more pets

Postby Emafer » Wed May 12, 2010 10:28 pm

OK, THIS is HILARIOUS! We are in a new house right. One of the roommates is moving out this month and my Sister in Law and Nephew are moving in. So the leaving roommate is one of those totally high strung, stressed out 24/7 people. The minute she opens the door you can feel tension. (This is the same person who refused to let me move into an empty room in the house forcing the former roommate to pay for an empty room she wasn't living in when I desperately needed a roof over my head.)

So before we moved in my mom and Cali and I were staying for the weekend and Cali was stressed out and pooped on the rug in roomates bedroom. We, of course all thought that this was hilarious. Of all places for Cali to poop she chose that bedroom.

Well this afternoon roomate comes home for about 10 minutes and is pounding and swearing all over the house. I just closed my door and didn't even say HI. Well 10 minutes after she leaves we get this e-mail that somebody's dog has peed or thrown up on her white rug and she needs it replaced and that will cots $70 to $100 hahahahahaha First off, I looked at the rug and can find NO stain or smell. Second, if Cali did do it I think it's hilarious that yet again she chose Kat's room. Third, yeah, like I'm going to buy her a new rug instead of cleaning it blahahahahahah hahahaha. She hasn't been home for a week and her bedroom door has been closed tight the entire time. How do I know that roomates own dog didn't do it a month ago and she's just now discovering it.

I secretly hope it was Cali hahahahahahahahaha I'm so evil.

Emafer

Re: Pets, pets and more pets

Postby Emafer » Fri May 14, 2010 6:08 am

OK, so Jackson was over at the house with me today and I think that we have determined that a good deal of Toby's aggression toward him is only when Amber is around. I think that maybe Toby is trying to protect Amber from Jackson.

When Amber wasn't there Toby gently took treats out of Jackson's hand and only barked at him once. We did pretty good. Then later on Toby came into the room and went up to Jackson and was calm and sniffed his hand and then sat when Jackson told him to sit. And was fine sitting close by while Jackson played.

Later on, after Amber got home, Toby went for Jackson and we had to put him out of the way or Toby might have nipped him. Then every time Jackson would make a move Toby was on his feet barking. We don't want Toby to feel like he has to back away or can't be in the room we just want him to learn to play and interact with Jackson nicely.

So I think that Jackson giving him treats has been good but it's really when Amber is around that Oby get's really bad. hmmmm

User avatar
Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper
Posts: 3543
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 4:01 pm

Re: Pets, pets and more pets

Postby Faith » Fri May 14, 2010 6:25 am

My dogs do that too. They're very protective of us and go crazy barking at people when they come over to the house. But when we are out of town, we always get my aunt to come over and feed them and she says they're totally fine when we're not there. They may bark a bit at first and then everything's ok. They actually are ok with her when she comes over now because I think they remember her taking care of them.

User avatar
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta
Posts: 9055
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 9:40 pm

Re: Pets, pets and more pets

Postby Nancy » Sat May 15, 2010 5:44 am

My mouth was agape when a report about this came on Inside Edition tonight:

http://www.perpetualpet.net/Gallery/

I'm just shaking my head - what do you all think?
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Emafer

Re: Pets, pets and more pets

Postby Emafer » Sat May 15, 2010 8:32 am

Nancy wrote:My mouth was agape when a report about this came on Inside Edition tonight:

http://www.perpetualpet.net/Gallery/

I'm just shaking my head - what do you all think?



Blahahahahaha, can I have my husband freeze dried, I like him better when he can't open his mouth :D

I think that is SUPER gross. I'm not into taxidermy either.

User avatar
jillbean
Registered Rhymnecologist
Posts: 456
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 2:34 am

Re: Pets, pets and more pets

Postby jillbean » Sat May 15, 2010 3:11 pm

Emafer wrote:OK, so Jackson was over at the house with me today and I think that we have determined that a good deal of Toby's aggression toward him is only when Amber is around. I think that maybe Toby is trying to protect Amber from Jackson.

When Amber wasn't there Toby gently took treats out of Jackson's hand and only barked at him once. We did pretty good. Then later on Toby came into the room and went up to Jackson and was calm and sniffed his hand and then sat when Jackson told him to sit. And was fine sitting close by while Jackson played.

Later on, after Amber got home, Toby went for Jackson and we had to put him out of the way or Toby might have nipped him. Then every time Jackson would make a move Toby was on his feet barking. We don't want Toby to feel like he has to back away or can't be in the room we just want him to learn to play and interact with Jackson nicely.

So I think that Jackson giving him treats has been good but it's really when Amber is around that Oby get's really bad. hmmmm



Sounds like Toby is resource guarding Amber; basically he sees Jackson as below him in the ranks of the pack and feels it is okay to put Jackson in his place when it comes to Amber. Toby will need to learn that all humans are above him in the pack-even the little ones! Playing will come later-to start I would say have Amber AND Jackson work on doing things like giving Toby his food (Toby will have to sit and wait until Jackson has put the food on the floor and then tells Toby it is okay to eat), giving Toby water, putting his leash on etc. This way he will start to associate Jackson as being equal to Amber since they will be doing the same things at the same time and Amber can be there to correct unwanted behaviors from Toby and make sure Jackson stays safe. You guys may want to keep Toby on a leash whenever he is around Jackson (esp. when Amber is around) until Toby has started behaving more respectfully to Jackson; this way you have a way to control and correct Toby if he gets off-track. Once there is progress then let them play; if you do otherwise it just puts Jackson back in place as one of Toby's littermates.

We have the same situation with one of our dogs and my three year old niece-it takes time but they will (both) start to get it! It may be worth a call to a local dog trainer too-I'm no certified or trained expert :)

closet jemainiac

Re: Pets, pets and more pets

Postby closet jemainiac » Sat May 15, 2010 4:25 pm

I think Jill's right on track with this one...feeding, leashing, basically any "access" activity....for Toby to understand that Jackson is to be held in the same regard as any other human....

User avatar
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta
Posts: 9055
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 9:40 pm

Re: Pets, pets and more pets

Postby Nancy » Sat May 15, 2010 5:20 pm

I agree with jillbean - at this point, the dog thinks they're littermates, and associating the little one with his Mom all the time will change his perception. Soon Jackson will also be considered a leader if the suggested methods are employed consistently. It's most important to practice these principles daily, not just once in awhile.
Her suggestion of consulting a dog trainer is a good one. But remember, it won't happen overnight - patience, patience, patience!
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

closet jemainiac

Re: Pets, pets and more pets

Postby closet jemainiac » Sat May 15, 2010 6:05 pm

Nancy wrote:I agree with jillbean - at this point, the dog thinks they're littermates, and associating the little one with his Mom all the time will change his perception. Soon Jackson will also be considered a leader if the suggested methods are employed consistently. It's most important to practice these principles daily, not just once in awhile.
Her suggestion of consulting a dog trainer is a good one. But remember, it won't happen overnight - patience, patience, patience!


:thumb:

Ditto that!

(Like how I just agree with everyone instead of writing my own advice? :P that's me being lazy)


Return to “Off topic rambles”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

cron