Call Me Pearl: The NZ Culture Thread

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
Amanda
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Re: Call Me Pearl: The NZ Culture Thread

Postby Amanda » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:49 pm

I greeted a couple of NZ passengers Kia Ora this morning and they couldn't believe i knew how to say hello in Maori! she said:
New zelandy lady: did you just said Kia Ora?
Me (sheepishly): yiss
New Zealandy lady: :D I knew I wasn't hearing things :rolleyes: wow.. :clap:
me (proudly): :yawinkle:

they were not even maori..rather pakeha actually..but they still loved it :nod:
But if you did I'd hold you tight / Into every single night
And we'd fall asleep together / And we'd wake up in the sunlight
Well, maybe I'm a dreamer / But maybe one day you'll see / That dreams are...

dangerous person

Postby dangerous person » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:10 am

Did they have to go and sit in the special 'people from NZ' section?

Lovely story though Amanda :D
"We're a novelty music act, we're not a freak show"

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:21 am

Did they have to go and sit in the special 'people from NZ' section?

Hee!

Amanda, they're probably going to go home and tell all their friends!
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:42 pm

Nah there was probably a dog in the NZ section.

Way to be cool Amanda. 8) Sweet as! :lol: I bet that kia ora made them feel all warm and homey. You're such a sweetiepoops.
90% evil
ImageImage

dangerous person

Postby dangerous person » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:48 pm

well it was for people from NZ and dogs from America.

:whistle:

Weird plane though with a dog section?
"We're a novelty music act, we're not a freak show"

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:13 am

SheWolf wrote:Was it the family with the young twin boys and they bought the A frame house where grandad lived next door? :) I've seen a whopping total of 2 House Hunters from NZ. I wish they'd do more there. I love House Hunters BTW, I'm totally addicted.

No it was a couple from the San Diego area with no children.

indigo_jones

Postby indigo_jones » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:59 am

Emafer wrote:
SheWolf wrote:Was it the family with the young twin boys and they bought the A frame house where grandad lived next door? :) I've seen a whopping total of 2 House Hunters from NZ. I wish they'd do more there. I love House Hunters BTW, I'm totally addicted.

An older couple? Because that may have been the one I saw.

I wish planes did have dog sections, and cat sections, so I wouldn't have had to stress so much last May! ;)

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:24 am

indigo_jones wrote:
Emafer wrote:

An older couple? Because that may have been the one I saw.

I wish planes did have dog sections, and cat sections, so I wouldn't have had to stress so much last May! ;)

The couple was late 30's early 40's I think.

You can usually take you dog or cat on the plane in a carry on under your seat. Alas my Cali is a bit too big to fit under a seat that's why we drove for two days on our last trip!

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:02 am

I don't think Indy's dog would fit in a cage under the seat - usually only chihuahuas or small dogs like that can fit. I had a Shih-Tzu that fit as a puppy, but then had to go in with the luggage. I know the angst Indy speaks of! :nails:

And I'm with you Emafer - I'd rather drive than have pets in with the luggage. :shock:

Speaking of traveling to NZ, what's the weather like there now? Is it spring-like or summer? *Wishes she were there* :roll:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:03 am

Nancy Hillner wrote:
And I'm with you Emafer - I'd rather drive than have pets in with the luggage. :shock:

Well doesn't it get super cold in there? And my doggie gets separation anxiety when she's away from people or other dogs so I know she would be miserable and she's have to be sedated and well I'm an overprotective dog mommy already. And honestly we have found out that she does long car rides better than me! My boyfriend keeps joking about taking her on tour but not me. She just sit in the back seat and chills out and hops out and pees when we tell her too and has a bit of water and hops back in with no whining or going nuts. She likes being in the car more than she likes being left at home so sometimes I take her wherever I'm going and let her sit in the car with a rawhide bone and wait for me. I secretly want to sew her a "Guide Dog" vest and take her everywhere with me including the movie theatre, to dinner and shopping. It would be just like England or Colorado! In Tennessee they don't treat thier dogs like people and frown on such relationships. In Colorado they have bowls of dog biscuits in the bank instead of candy :D:D:D:D:D

How are they with dogs in New Zealand? Are they like England or Ireland where you can bring your dog into the pub?

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:49 am

Emafer wrote:How are they with dogs in New Zealand? Are they like England or Ireland where you can bring your dog into the pub?

You don't do that there?

I can't imagine not being able to take my dog to my local with me of an evening or afternoon. My old Daisy dog used to love drinking the odd bit from peoples pints when they were not looking :lol:

I recall being able to take my dog into bars in Amsterdam also. Not all of them, but a lot of them were fine with it. Usually the ones open during the day and into the night. The night opening ones only was usually a no as too busy.

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:27 pm

Oh LORD NO! Sherry, unless it was some little dog you carried in your purse like Parris Hilton then there would be basically ZERO chance of even getting a paw through the door. My boyfriend was surprised that dogs were allowed in the PetCo.

Oh, Except in Colorado, they are a bit more English in their attitude toward dogs.

I always talk about opening up an Irish pub called Lanigan's Shenanigans (Lanigan is my last name) and everyone would be allowed to bring dogs!

indigo_jones

Postby indigo_jones » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:02 pm

Well doesn't it get super cold in there?

Any plane that actually allows pets to travel with the luggage will have temperature controlled holds for them. There's no way they could travel otherwise. And yes, my dog is waaaay too big (80+ pounds) to travel in the cabin with us, and even one of my cats might have been a bit on the big side for what they'll allow on an international flight. The smallest of the cats is simply too loud! I would never fly with them if I didn't have to, but an overseas move means no choice. Fortunately, everyone at the airline that day was very friendly and understanding about our worry over them. All three seemed to be ok to one degree or another at the end of the trip. As it was, though, we still drove from NC to DC in order to avoid having to take multiple flights. There was no way I was going to risk them not being transferred or not being cared for well enough during the transfer.

Dogs are generally allowed in most places here in Utrecht, and there's even a spot where they can be tied up inside the grocery store (which is one of the only places where dogs aren't really allowed inside). We don't take our dog inside most places, because he's big and hyper, despite attempts at training. He's extremely friendly, but because of his size, his friendliness can be overwhelming or scary for strangers. When the weather is nice and we can sit outside, we take him and sit on the terrace area at our local, though, and if he weren't so hyper, we could take him inside, as well.

As none of this pertains to NZ, I'll shut up now. ;)

Did anyone hear about NZ flying a plane with biofuel recently?

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:29 am

indigo_jones wrote:Dogs are generally allowed in most places here in Utrecht, and there's even a spot where they can be tied up inside the grocery store (which is one of the only places where dogs aren't really allowed inside).

I'm sooooo jealous.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:25 pm

Nancy Hillner wrote:Speaking of traveling to NZ, what's the weather like there now?
I have it on my yahoo home page and it's been strangely aligned with LA temps for some time now - generally mid 60s to low 70s.
90% evil
ImageImage

Return to “Off topic rambles”