Other Things You Find Funny

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
Emafer

Other Things You Find Funny

Postby Emafer » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 am

I was just thinking of Woody Allen and how he cracks me up. He has so many wonderful comedies but I think that some of my faves are Manhattan Murder Mystery, Mighty Aphrodite, and Shadows and Fog.

Lately I'm totally addicted to 30 Rock. I laugh so hard that I heave tears streaming down my face sometimes. Alec Baldwin is GENIUS! And Whooda thunkit?

FO the C has totally turned me onto Arj Barker. One of my favorites bit of his is how much Australians swear. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmQW_Ls4 ... =1&index=1

Kathy Griffin I LOVE. LOVE!

I also love all those totally stupid Frat Pack movies with Will Farrel and Ben Stiller and those guys. I Think that Old School is maybe THE FINEST, but Dodgeball, and Anchorman and oh Talladega Nights are so classic.

Oh and allllll those Christopher Guest movies Spinal Tap, Waiting for Guffman, Mighty Wind, Best in Show etc. I think that I know Waiting for Guffman by heart. It was on a couple of weaks ago and I freaked my boyfriend out. He's like, "Seriously, how do you know this?"

OK, so what are some of y'all's other faves besides the Conchords???

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Re: Other Things You Find Funny

Postby mockingbird » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:21 am

Woody Allen and Kathy Griffith crack me up, too. And Christopher Guest.

Steve Martin. I LOVE Steve Martin. Of course we also must mention The Princess Bride and Holy Grail.

I got really excited when I saw that little HBO thing where Jemaine mentions The Young Ones and Mitch Hedburg. I can recite certain episodes of TYOs by heart (and I'll do it, too, so don't encourage me) and I actually saw Mitch Hedburg live in a tiny comedy club in Lexington, KY! He is (sadly, was) awesome.

I think The Office is funny. Dwight really cracks me up. I also like Family Guy.

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:14 am

Mitch Hedburg was GENIUS! I think of him every time I make baked potatoes :D

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:15 am

I cannot hear the phrase "crop rotation" without thinking of The Young Ones and hearing (P)Rik saying "crop rotation in the 14th century was considerably more widespread ..." You'd be surprised just how often I hear the phrase. I also can't eat lentils (which I do often) without thinking of Neil.

I also find Top Gear hysterical. Who would have thought that a car show would have me in hysterics every week. It's one of the only shows I watch nowadays that truly has me wiping away tears of laughter and holding my sides from laughing so much. Side-splittingly hysterical!

I found myself rereading one of my old Bloom County comic strip books the other night. There were some real gems in there and reminded me why I loved the strip so much at the time. It's a bit FotC-like in it's subtle silliness.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:31 am

Oh and Lisa Lampanelli. She always has us screaming and cracking up.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:28 pm

I loved when Jemaine first mentioned The Young Ones coz I got a bit of that Young Ones vibe a bit while watching FOTC.

I've never heard of Hedburg so I just watched a few clips. He's funny but it makes me a bit nervous to watch him looking so nervous. I can't believe he died in my neighborhood. :shock:

I like Arj - alot.

The funniest thing I've seen lately is Walk Hard The Dewey Cox Story. The songs are fantastic.

And of course Spinal Tap is the funniest film ever.
90% evil
ImageImage

Val2150
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Val2150 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:44 pm

I love Best in Show! It's been way too long since I've seen that, I need to watch it again.

Let's see, for me....Arj. Definitely. Adam Hils, Demetri Martin, The Office, How I Met Your Mother, and The Big Bang Theory.

I agree that Mitch Hedberg was genius. I love that Jemaine liked him. :)
"You do not choose sexy. Sexy chooses you." -mohumbai mania

poptartgirl
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby poptartgirl » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:07 pm

I wish I could jump on the Kathy Griffin bandwagon but the whole making fun of celebrities schtick doesn't really make me laugh :hrm: :dunno: .

2 other favorites that come to mind are Kids in the Hall and The Muppet Show. Sometimes if it's slow at work, I'll go on YouTube and watch KITH and MS clips. A nice way to get through the day. :D
“We tell you lies, and if you laugh, they’re jokes.”

"all I wanted to say is "May I rock you ?"

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:29 pm

poptartgirl wrote:I wish I could jump on the Kathy Griffin bandwagon but the whole making fun of celebrities schtick doesn't really make me laugh :hrm: :dunno:
Regardless of what she's talking about I find her grating and not funny.
90% evil
ImageImage

tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby tvldiva » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:21 pm

indigo_jones wrote:I also find Top Gear hysterical. Who would have thought that a car show would have me in hysterics every week. It's one of the only shows I watch nowadays that truly has me wiping away tears of laughter and holding my sides from laughing so much. Side-splittingly hysterical!

Top Gear is one of my favorite guilty pleasures. It's like they've proven that fact that men never really grow up. Love it!

He's been gone for 15 years now, but Bill Hicks still makes me laugh. I feel so lucky to have seen the man live 6-7 times, the last time just 4 months before he died. He was brilliantly funny, optimistic and insightful as ever. There is no way you could tell from his act that he as dying.

Poptart girl- I love Kathy Griffin but never got into her until I saw her tv show. I didn't care much about the celebrity stuff either but I really like her.
As for KITH- YES! They are great. Love them!!
Why don't you accept me as your God!?

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:33 pm

EDDIE IZZARD!!!!

A while back there was an Eddie Izzard Marathon and I couldn't drag myself from the TV. My boyfriend and I were in our pajamas in hysterics for hours.

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:19 am

poptartgirl wrote:2 other favorites that come to mind are Kids in the Hall and The Muppet Show. Sometimes if it's slow at work, I'll go on YouTube and watch KITH and MS clips. A nice way to get through the day. :D

I thought about the Muppet Show when I first considered this question. It was my favorite show when I was a kid. Also Bugs Bunny, Road Runner, etc.

Whose Line Is It, Anyway? had its very funny moments. I liked the first guy better than Drew Carey, though. (I forget his name)

I also think of Neil whenever I cook lentils. "Neil, Neil, orange peel - when will I see you again??" hee hee
Last edited by mockingbird on Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:31 am

Oooh, how could I forget to mention the Peter Sellars Pink Panther movies?? Those are in the "if I were stranded on a desert island and Netflix would only deliver me 10 movies, what would they be" category.

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:01 am

I've mentioned Eddie Izzard so often in the favorite comedians thread and other threads in general that I figured I'd give it a pass here. Despite the fact that the boyfriend and I quote him regularly.

(As an aside from the mod: how about keeping this thread for things other than straight stand-up comedians, as we do already have a thread for that. Let's keep this for tv shows/movies/cartoons/music/ and so on.)

I also love the Bugs Bunny cartoons (encompassing all the other characters, as well). I keep meaning to buy some of the DVD collections so I can watch on Saturday mornings. ;)

The Muppets will always be awesome. I was the only one at the Christmas Eve Quiz who got the full "Muppets with John Denver" title correct on one of the music questions!
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

dangerous person
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby dangerous person » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:29 am

Nice thread! I love Wood Allen too, we did watch (again) Manhattan Murder Mystery which is one of my favourites, and it's just great, a classic.

As for series, I love Absolutely Fabulous, Frasier (especially the earlier stuff), The Young Ones, Not the Nine o'clock News (thank goodness for Paramount Comedy!), QI.......

And yes, Eddie Izzard is a God. He sits next to Stephen Fry in the firmament of strange men I love
"We're a novelty music act, we're not a freak show"

Return to “Off topic rambles”