Other Things You Find Funny

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
Emafer

Re: Other Things You Find Funny

Postby Emafer » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:16 am

dangerous person wrote: I love Absolutely Fabulous,

I LOVE AB FAB!

poptartgirl
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby poptartgirl » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:49 am

How could I forget the comedy series, Father Ted ?

I first saw it at a friend's place in San Fran, his family in Ireland would tape episodes for him and send them over to the states. When I saw it, I don't think I had laughed so hard in ages :lol: :D

Here are a few of my fave clips :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foFXj7pEj4g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsISf1HW_nU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLTnacYvvg4
“We tell you lies, and if you laugh, they’re jokes.”

"all I wanted to say is "May I rock you ?"

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:54 am

Oh my God, Father Ted!!! :roll2: :rolls: :bounce:
I had never seen it before, but I had heard other WTF-ers rave about how funny it was! I have tears streaming down my face - that's only after seeing the first clip, Lingerie Getaway. Thanks for the links, poptartgirl!!! :thumb:

I love a lot of the movies and shows already mentioned - Christopher Guest is a genius! I've loved him since his SNL year (with him coaching Martin Short and Harry Shearer as the male synchronized swimmers, one of which couldn't swim), and throughout all of his movies, I get his humor, and love his work: Best in Show, For Your Consideration, Waiting For Guffman, A Mighty Wind, all gems.
Planes, Trains, And Automobiles is also one of my all-time favorites, because not only is it hysterical, it has heart, and Steve Martin and John Candy were priceless.

For tv, I too love the Muppet Show. I also adored SCTV. Some terrific actors/comedians came out of there, and some of their bits still make me roar.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:54 am

A couple of my other faves are Foulplay with Goldie Hawn and Chevy Chase, Murder by Death and anything by Wes Anderson. Rushmore might be the closest Anderson film to my heart just because it was the first I saw and I in college it was sort of one of those films that would help to determine who would get me and who wouldn't.

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:58 am

Christopher Guest is a genius! I've loved him since his SNL year (with him coaching Martin Short and Harry Shearer as the male synchronized swimmers, one of which couldn't swim)

Oh! I'd forgotten about that! That was hysterical! He really is fantastic. I love his films. I happened to actually be working in the pet industry when Best in Show came out, so that one was extra hilarious for me.

I also love Ab Fab. I even went as Patsy for Halloween one year!

For some reason, I like the film Ground Hog's Day. There's just something about it that causes me to end up watching it time and again when I see it on tv. To this day, the "don't drive angry" line cracks me up.

Oh!!!!! Murder by Death! So beautifully done! As a fan of all those old literary detectives in the first place, I loved this spoof on the genre!
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:07 am

indigo_jones wrote:Christopher Guest is a genius! I've loved him since his SNL year (with him coaching Martin Short and Harry Shearer as the male synchronized swimmers, one of which couldn't swim)

Oh! I'd forgotten about that! That was hysterical! [/quote]
And Martin Short with the orange floaties on his arms hahahahahahaha

Oh!!!!! Murder by Death! So beautifully done! As a fan of all those old literary detectives in the first place, I loved this spoof on the genre!

Yes, I'm a total detective fiction junkie. Bigtime, in fact in the last 20 years it comprises about 90% of my reading and I average maybe 30 books a year or so. To this day my favorite line is when Milo Perrier says, "I'm not a Frenchie, I'm a Belgie!" hahahahaha It's just so silly but it totally cracks me up.

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:16 am

Now that I have a Belgie friend, that line's even funnier!
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:34 am

thanking you for joining my crazy little giggle group over that one :D

dangerous person
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby dangerous person » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:56 am

oh yes, Father Ted, utter genius!!!!!!!!!!!! Love love love it! Poor Mrs Doyle......
"We're a novelty music act, we're not a freak show"

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:45 am

Murder By Death - the one with Nancy Walker as the deaf cook and Alec Guinness as the blind butler???? When she comes into the room to yell for help, I need a Depends! :roll2: :roll2: :rolls: :rolls:
I could quote that movie all day - very funny. 22Twain :nod: :roll2: :rolls:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:34 am

Nancy Hillner wrote:Murder By Death - the one with Nancy Walker as the deaf cook and Alec Guinness as the blind butler???? When she comes into the room to yell for help, I need a Depends! :roll2: :roll2: :rolls: :rolls:
I could quote that movie all day - very funny. 22Twain :nod: :roll2: :rolls:

YES! The exact one and Eileen Brennen, Truman Capote, Peter Falk, David Niven, Maggie Smith I mean WHAT a cast!

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:29 am

They were excellent, and each one was so well used!

But how could I have forgotten my very favorite movie of all time, the original, The Producers! Gene Wilder was nominated for an oscar for his "I'm hysterical" scene - brilliant!
And the guy who sang the solo "Springtime For Hitler" was my ex's understudy in "Woman of the Year" on Broadway with Lauren Bacall.
I like a lot of Mel Brooks' movies - Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles, High Anxiety (the title song sung by Mel to Madeline Kahn just kills me!)
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:25 am

Oh Young Frankenstein is another one of my faves. There are times when someone says something and out pops a Young Frankenstein line. Luckily I live with a man who has the same wacky sense of humor as I and has most of the same silly references. He jokes all the time that I'm Abby Normal :D:D:D

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:27 am

Oh and another about Vitamin E. I had a roomie who used to live in Antarctica. They used to have huge 3 gallon jugs of Vitamin E and employees were told to add it into their body and hand lotion.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:14 am

"Suit yourself then, I'm easy!" :wink:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Return to “Off topic rambles”