Other Things You Find Funny

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
eejm
Registered Rhymnecologist

Re: Other Things You Find Funny

Postby eejm » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:31 am

Stoner movies. Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle is a movie I never tire of. Pineapple Express was wonderful if only for James Franco and Danny McBride (Seth Rogen was OK). Dazed and Confused, and even the old Cheech and Chong movies have their funny moments.

Most of the Judd Apatow movies are good. The 40-Year-Old Virgin really will go down as a classic - everyone knows someone like Andy, and Steve Carrell plays a socially awkward person very well.

Little Britain makes me laugh up a lung.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:20 am

Oh, I love this thread! I love to laugh.....

Mockingbird- I soooo loved Whose Line is it Anyway? I'd never seent he original until after the Drew Carey one but also loved it. But the ones with Drew as host.....they killed me. When it was first on, I was pregnant with Jacob. Every week, I swore that I would probably go into early labor due to laughing too hard! The 3-headed opera singer had me practically peeing my pants. They were all great....Ryan Stiles, Greg Proops, Colin Mochrie, Wayne Brady and the UK comedienne....Josie, I think her name was? So funny. :)

MST3K is awesome! I own loads of them on VHS....I should probably upgrade to DVD's... My son loves it now, makes me proud. His favorite is watching the outtake video, "Poopie." Sometimes when I'm cleaning I still sing the theme song. I'm really big on theme song-singing, though..... :oops: (Land of the Lost being a fave..)

Recently, we've discovered Jeff Dunham. Killer. He is so funny......after a point, you just sort of believe those damn things are real! Check out Achmed the Dead Terrorist....
(Walter and Peanut are cool, too...) Rent his DVD's Spark of Insanity and Arguing With Myself. He did a Christmas special last year that was on Comedy Central.

The Jerk is classic. Also loved The Man With Two Brains.
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:14 am

Zach Galifianakis

Some Like It Hot

Monty Python & The Holy Grail

Raising Arizona
Oh man, the diaper robbery and chase scene! "Son, you've got a panty on your head."

Wet Hot American Summer
Hilarious!

Rushmore

Woody Allen-Love And Death
He has so many great films but this is by far my favorite.

The Office
The only other show I watch religiously (besides FOTC of course). I miss the Dwight and Angela days.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:13 am

The Office - I love the British AND American versions. Probably the American version more just because I love Steve Carell

Big Bang Theory - Because sadly, most of the nerdy jokes I get, and a lot of the smart jokes I can somewhat follow. I find myself REALLY relating to Sheldon as far as not knowing what the social contract warrants in most situations.

How I Met Your Mother - One of those I'm just getting into - but I am enjoying it!

Entourage - My most recent ex got me into Entourage. I LOVE Jeremy Piven (rawr) and his character as Ari Gold is just pure comedy MAGIC.

Family Guy - Just one of those shows that pushes the limits and is just hilarious!

Who's Line Is It Anyway? - I have the BBC channel so I love to watch the UK version of this show. The US version is funny too, but the UK > US, IMHO

The Drew Carey Show - I love Drew Carey - he's such a sweet guy. I remember my parents watching it all the time when I was a bit younger, but I didn't pay too much attention, now one of the cable channels up here (ion maybe?) play the reruns all the time and I love them! I am sad I didn't pay more attention when I was younger lol

Spongebob - Say what you will - but there is humor in this show that adults can enjoy as well. Doesn't help this is one of the only shows that will keep my 2 year old quiet for a whole 30 minutes so I can get something done! LOL

On the stand-up note:
Brian Regan
Stephen Lynch
Jim Gaffigan
Dane Cook

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:38 am

I just realized I don't watch funny sitcoms any more. I'm getting old.

I do love SpongeBob, though! We've watched it since it first came on. My favorite? Still the one with the Hash-Slinging Slasher. (Nosferatu!) :lol:

I've caught some of Wonder Showzen on MTV2 and I don't know whether to laugh or change the channel...... it's kind of shocking sometimes. I laugh and then feel guilty....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdL2jiM601U
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

dandy lyons
Consistently Mediocre

Postby dandy lyons » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:20 am

LauraK wrote:I just realized I don't watch funny sitcoms any more. I'm getting old.

I do love SpongeBob, though! We've watched it since it first came on. My favorite? Still the one with the Hash-Slinging Slasher. (Nosferatu!) :lol:

I've caught some of Wonder Showzen on MTV2 and I don't know whether to laugh or change the channel...... it's kind of shocking sometimes. I laugh and then feel guilty....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdL2jiM601U

OMG! Wonder Shozen is so wrong, yet so right! Loves it! :lol:
Gar·funk·ling (verb) Funky cuddling with the candles twinkling.

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:53 am

kellysouthpaw wrote:
Big Bang Theory - Because sadly, most of the nerdy jokes I get, and a lot of the smart jokes I can somewhat follow. I find myself REALLY relating to Sheldon as far as not knowing what the social contract warrants in most situations.

How could I forget Big Bang Theory?! What horrid injustice. I absolutely love Sheldon :D Anytime someone suggests decision by stone, paper, scissor now I quickly reply; no, let's do stone, paper, scissor, lizard, Spock... Even if I have no chance actually following it myself :lol:

I'm not a big Office-lover although I actually like Ricky. I think Extras is funnier. Love the David Bowie episode :)
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

trefusis

Postby trefusis » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:31 am

How have I missed this thread, up until now? Getting reminded about so much fantastic comedy (and a few I hadn't heard of, only having UK TV...)

Father Ted - ohh, yes. The old drunk one - Father Jack - is a creation of genius :drinkers: . I love the way he has his life's priorities summed up in those four simple words :wink: Being from an Irish background, I can say quite honestly that a lot of it is true. Exaggerated, but true... which is a major thing that I find funny. In print, this is achieved rather splendidly by Roddy Doyle in "The Commitments".

Other good stuff - the UK comedian Bill Bailey really does it for me with his insane musings, punctuated by musical numbers that have me laughing myself off the sofa - like his love song here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKKMLcGJ9EU.

Anything that starts off with a mundane concept and goes off into surreal ramblings - reminds me of conversations I have with family members, where we're going to make our fortune with some crackpot scheme, embellished far beyond the laws of physics and common sense. Like the other night, when dh and I were going to span Belfast Lough with a bridge that doubled as a gigantic catapult, firing fish down towards the seal sanctuary at the end of the Ards Peninsula. :rolleyes:

"Quotable" comedy like Monty Python is also great, but I just can't get the Goons. I wish I could, because my dh loves them. But there's good radio comedy in the UK, especially on Friday nights, like "The Now Show", which is light-ish political satire. There was a song on it recently about poisonous frogs that is still stuck in my head and cracking me up, two weeks later :rolls:.

Generally I like it to be verbal rather than visual - I go back to the old Blackadder DVDs again and again. The kind of humour that bounces back and forth between characters like that (remind you of anyone? :wink: ).

But for sheer verbal virtuosity it has to be Stephen Fry. :prayer:
That's the conclusion that I've come to, but...

biscuit

Postby biscuit » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:46 am

trefusis wrote:
Generally I like it to be verbal rather than visual

But for sheer verbal virtuosity it has to be Stephen Fry. :prayer:

Amen to the verbal intelligent banter! Life without it is like a broken pencil... pointless :wink:

Speaking of Fry I watched an epsiode of QI on youtube yesterday and really wish I could get that on tv over here. It's brilliant!

I saw a re-run of Jack Dee live at the Apollo a few weeks back and Marcus Brigstocke was on. I had never heard of him before but after that I had to check out all his stuff on youtube. Intelligent satire stuff just cracks me up! :D

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:21 pm

eejm wrote: Dazed and Confused, and even the old Cheech and Chong movies have their funny moments.

Most of the Judd Apatow movies are good. The 40-Year-Old Virgin really will go down as a classic - everyone knows someone like Andy, and Steve Carrell plays a socially awkward person very well.

Little Britain makes me laugh up a lung.

I could watch Dazed and Confused over and over and over. I think I know most of it by heart :D

I love those Judd Aptow movies. HILARIOUS! I LOVED Knocked Up!

LITTLE BRITAIN! LOVE LOVE LOVE! There are things that I giggle at every single time like everything they introduce "Kelsey Grammer School" hahahahaha. I freaking LOVE Lou and Andy and the two Ladies and Daffyd and it just goes on and on and on.

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:56 pm

There's a new sitcom that's started recently called Better Off Ted. It's off-beat and quirky and I'm really enjoying it. I'm sure that means it will be cancelled within the week. ;)
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

WomanInThePark

Postby WomanInThePark » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:59 pm

Alien Loves Predator. It is crude and non-sequiter and obnoxious but I love it to death.
http://alienlovespredator.com/2004/10/12/speed-dating/ This is an exampe of something I find funny.
Beth, did you really need to fake your death?

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:11 pm

indigo_jones wrote:There's a new sitcom that's started recently called Better Off Ted. It's off-beat and quirky and I'm really enjoying it. I'm sure that means it will be cancelled within the week. ;)

Oh I haven't seen this yet but I've seen that ads. Been thinking about it watching it.

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:40 pm

indigo_jones wrote:There's a new sitcom that's started recently called Better Off Ted. It's off-beat and quirky and I'm really enjoying it. I'm sure that means it will be cancelled within the week. ;)

I've been watching it too - and enjoying it! But I, like you, am pretty sure it's going to be cancelled soon as well :(. I love Lem and...crap can't think of his name. The guy who was cryogenically frozen LOL

biscuit

Postby biscuit » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:05 pm

Had to have a peek and it looks very promising :nod: And that Ted guy wasn't particularly hard on the eyes either :tonqe:

Return to “Off topic rambles”