New Zealand bands

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

New Zealand bands

Postby tvldiva » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:42 am

A list just came out today of the bands playing SXSW here in Austin. With just a quick glance, looks like we will have lots of Kiwis to see. Some I've heard of but most I haven't. If anyone is familar with anyone below, let me know.

Autozamm (Auckland NEW ZEALAND)
Bang! Bang! Eche! (Christchurch NEW ZEALAND)
Bleeders (Auckland NEW ZEALAND)
Jackie Bristow (Auckland NEW ZEALAND)
The Brunettes (Auckland NEW ZEALAND)
Connan Mockasin (London NEW ZEALAND)
Cut Off Your Hands (Auckland NEW ZEALAND)
David Dallas (Auckland NEW ZEALAND)
Elemeno P (Auckland NEW ZEALAND)
Tim Finn (Auckland NEW ZEALAND) :D
Rodney Fisher (New Plymouth NEW ZEALAND)
Kylie Harris (Auckland NEW ZEALAND)
Midnight Youth (Auckland NEW ZEALAND)
Ross Royce (Wellington NEW ZEALAND
Scribe (Christchurch NEW ZEALAND)
The Tutts (Auckland NEW ZEALAND)
Why don't you accept me as your God!?

poptartgirl
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Re: New Zealand bands

Postby poptartgirl » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:43 am

The Brunettes play a SXSW showcase 3 years ago with FOTC. Tim Finn played at the Cactus Cafe in 2008 but I don't think that he's ever appeared at SXSW. His Irish friend, Andy White, will also be at SXSW. They collaborated on a project in the mid 90s called ALT with Liam O'Maonlai from Hothouse Flowers.
“We tell you lies, and if you laugh, they’re jokes.”

"all I wanted to say is "May I rock you ?"

Kiwifruitloop
New arrival

Postby Kiwifruitloop » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:49 pm

Autozamm are awful, derivative and self consciously "jazzy" in the most pretentious way.

The Bleeders are punk by numbers.

The Brunettes are reliably excellent, very melodic and Nico-era Velvet Undergroundish.

Cut Off Your Hands sound like one of those post-punk influenced indie bands that are all over the UK at the moment like a virus. Catchy, though.

Elemeno P are very big here, probably the most populist of the bands on this list. Good drinking music, basically.

Tim Finn is - of course - is the deadset ligund of Split Enz/Crowded House fame.

Scribe is a Samoan rapper, decent flow but nowhere near as good as the Rhymenocerous or the Hiphoppapotomous. Almost as good as Steve.

tvldiva

Postby tvldiva » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:35 am

Kiwifruitloop wrote:Autozamm are awful, derivative and self consciously "jazzy" in the most pretentious way.

The Bleeders are punk by numbers.

The Brunettes are reliably excellent, very melodic and Nico-era Velvet Undergroundish.

Cut Off Your Hands sound like one of those post-punk influenced indie bands that are all over the UK at the moment like a virus. Catchy, though.

Elemeno P are very big here, probably the most populist of the bands on this list. Good drinking music, basically.

Tim Finn is - of course - is the deadset ligund of Split Enz/Crowded House fame.

Scribe is a Samoan rapper, decent flow but nowhere near as good as the Rhymenocerous or the Hiphoppapotomous. Almost as good as Steve.

Cool, thanks for the input there, Kiwi! I did see the Brunettes a couple of years ago when they played before FOTC at SXSW. They were pretty good. I've also been lucky enough to see Tim Finn is several band incarnations.

I haven't seen Steve, but I heard he's a really nice fellow. :wink:

Welcome to the group! :wave:

Kiwifruitloop
New arrival

Postby Kiwifruitloop » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:51 pm

Thanks diva!

When is the SXSW this year, March sometime? There always seems to be a heavy Kiwi contingent there. Partly because, of course, New Zealand Rocks!!!!<additional exclamation point optional.

The only band really worth checking out from the Shakey Isles at the moment are The Mint Chicks (who are based in Portland now, I think).

tvldiva

Postby tvldiva » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:10 am

The list of Kiwi's have really increased over the last few years. I think there are some new ones on the recently updated band this for this year, but there are just too many bands to look at in this format. I think they said there will be around 1800 bands playing this year. :shock: It boggles the mind....truly. And that's just the bands that play at night.

As far as Kiwi compadres, Eugene Mirman(the landlord) is performing this year. Of course, I'm working at a club during SXSW, so I can only hope some good acts play at my club. :pray:

If you want to daydream a little, here's the list of bands playing-
http://sxsw.com/music/shows/bands

Kiwifruitloop
New arrival

Postby Kiwifruitloop » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:57 am

As far as Kiwi compadres, Eugene Mirman(the landlord) is performing this year.

Eugene is a Kiwi???

Pretty convincing accent if so.

poptartgirl

Postby poptartgirl » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:07 am

Kiwifruitloop wrote:Thanks diva!

When is the SXSW this year, March sometime? There always seems to be a heavy Kiwi contingent there. Partly because, of course, New Zealand Rocks!!!!<additional exclamation point optional.

The only band really worth checking out from the Shakey Isles at the moment are The Mint Chicks (who are based in Portland now, I think).

SXSW always takes place in the month of March. The music festival dates for this year are March 18-22 but the majority of showcases are during the first 4 days.
I've been attending SXSW since 1998. In the late 90s, there may have only been 1 or 2 bands from NZ. I think that The Mutton Birds might have played here in 96 or 97 before I moved to Austin. Liam Finn played a bunch of gigs during the festival year. He was here with Betchadupa in 2003 or 2004. Even dad, Neil, played at this festival - that was back in 2002.

I also found an official SXSW party that's Kiwi-focused. It's on Fri March 20th from 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm at the West Tent (Brush Square Park)
Here's the description from the SXSW website : Join your favorite Kiwis for a night of music, beer and fine wine courtesy of Kim Crawford Wines. RSVP to party@nzmusic.org.nz

tvldiva

Postby tvldiva » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:32 pm

poptartgirl wrote:
Kiwifruitloop wrote:Thanks diva!

SXSW always takes place in the month of March. The music festival dates for this year are March 18-22 but the majority of showcases are during the first 4 days.
I've been attending SXSW since 1998. In the late 90s, there may have only been 1 or 2 bands from NZ. I think that The Mutton Birds might have played here in 96 or 97 before I moved to Austin. Liam Finn played a bunch of gigs during the festival year. He was here with Betchadupa in 2003 or 2004. Even dad, Neil, played at this festival - that was back in 2002.

I also found an official SXSW party that's Kiwi-focused. It's on Fri March 20th from 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm at the West Tent (Brush Square Park)
Here's the description from the SXSW website : Join your favorite Kiwis for a night of music, beer and fine wine courtesy of Kim Crawford Wines. RSVP to party@nzmusic.org.nz

Neil's actually played SXSW a couple of times. Of course, I was working and missed the sets. I did catch him at Waterloo with his then band that included Wendy and Lisa from Prince's band. Weird--right?! Liam has been in town the last couple of years, one of which he just played at day shows and wasn't an offical band. Then I just read that Tim Finn isn't playing anymore. Don't know why, they usually don't give reasons at SXSW.

poptartgirl

Postby poptartgirl » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:57 pm

http://austinist.com/2009/03/06/sxsw_mu ... covert.php

"While it is easy to tease the Kiwis for only exporting Flight Of The Conchords and members of the Finn family, New Zealand is out to win us over with an official happy hour day party at Brush Square Park on 3/20. The gig will host Cut Off Your Hands, Midnight Youth, Ladyhawke, and Bang! Bang! Eche! Almost as important is the fact that Kim Crawford wine will be served, which should be an effictive counterpunch to those seven free PBRs you had earlier in the day."

If think that you want to go to this and you'll be in Austin that day, go to this site to RSVP : http://www.outwardsoundnz.com/?p=1

The Talking Stove
Giving the paper to the people

Postby The Talking Stove » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:25 pm

I have a couple of Brunettes records, and they're excellent.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-2xD1mY49Y
Have you ever been told that you look like a llama?

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:49 pm

The Renderers are also playing the WFMU showcase. They are a NZ band that sounds like a mix between the Clean, Television and Richard and Linda Thompson. They have had some great moments.

And I have a huge soft spot for New Zealand bands thanks to all those great 80s and 90s Flying Nun Records! Not to mention the Dead C.
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

tvldiva

Postby tvldiva » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:12 am

mohumbhai mania wrote:The Renderers are also playing the WFMU showcase. They are a NZ band that sounds like a mix between the Clean, Television and Richard and Linda Thompson.

:shock: I don't think I've ever heard someone compared to Richard and Linda Thompson. Very interesting.

laurenn
New arrival

Postby laurenn » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:31 am

I love Cut Off Your Hands (: Great band. Scribe is great too.
Dwight, you ignorant slut!

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:12 pm

I don't think I've ever heard someone compared to Richard and Linda Thompson.

It's a husband/wife duo leading the band who are quite frank in their lyrics about their difficulties. Must be working, they've been making music for almost 20 yrs. :D
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

Return to “Off topic rambles”