FotC Isnt the Only Thing on TV

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
songbird
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Re: FotC Isnt the Only Thing on TV

Postby songbird » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:12 am

I have a particular obsession with So You Think You Can Dance.

Being a dancer myself, I love watching these guys dance and thinking "God, it is SO HARD to do that, how are they so GOOD at it?!". I also love seeing the innovative choreography, it never fails to amaze me.
"We're addressing the issues but we're keeping it funky."

Image Image

Corrine
Consistently Mediocre

Postby Corrine » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:28 pm

I don't watch too much TV regularly other than my now addiction to FOTC reruns. The shows I've been known not to miss in the past were The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, and The Office. (I guess I've been mostly into comedies lately.) In the past, I have been known to watch Desperate Housewives and Lost, but I gave both those up. I do occasionally indulge in Big Love, but haven't been following it regularly.

I just recently rented Madmen from the library, which is the AMC series about an advertising firm in NYC in the year 1960. I rented it because it was featured on NPR as being good (that's how I also found out about FOTC). I've watched one episode, and it was okay, but I am so bothered about how women are treated in the workplace on the show, that I don't know if I want to go on. I know they are just being historically accurate about the year 1960, but so far there is not one male character with any redeeming qualities. Just wondering if anyone else watches this, and if it is worth going on? By the way, the first episode actually has Mel (Kirsten Schaal) in it playing a telephone operator.

deliriumtree

Postby deliriumtree » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:02 pm

I came very close to asking Kristen about Mad Men when I met her, but didn't. She's only in the pilot for some reason, even though the operators are part of the show now and then.

I personally love mad men! It took me a few episodes to really get hooked. The "Peggy" character is who drew me in, so maybe she'll redeem things for you. I also love the wife in the series of the main guy (I'm horrible with names forgive me, she's blonde, Betsy, Betty...something like that) You do have to keep in mind it's a different time though (constantly). I had a very backwards upbriging so the treatment of women wasn't too shocking for me, but there are other things that I sit there and go...now wait! That isn't right! The smoking and drinking too, are just out of hand, but I guess that's accurate too.
"Hey Ya'll, I'm destroying your city!" And the Bret and Jemaine angels looked on in approval.

4everconchordsfan

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:30 am

Corrine wrote:I don't watch too much TV regularly other than my now addiction to FOTC reruns. The shows I've been known not to miss in the past were The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, and The Office.

I just recently rented Madmen from the library, which is the AMC series about an advertising firm in NYC in the year 1960. I rented it because it was featured on NPR as being good (that's how I also found out about FOTC). I've watched one episode, and it was okay, but I am so bothered about how women are treated in the workplace on the show, that I don't know if I want to go on. I know they are just being historically accurate about the year 1960, but so far there is not one male character with any redeeming qualities. Just wondering if anyone else watches this, and if it is worth going on? By the way, the first episode actually has Mel (Kirsten Schaal) in it playing a telephone operator.

Those are all favs of mine too. Im so glad that you mentioned Mad Men, what a great show! I was born in 1960, grew up in a single parent home which was not commonplace in those days. Not like it is today. Mom was just 17 yrs old when she had me. I was lucky in that she listened to all the really cool music and was into all the 'fads' of the time. It was a mans world during that decade. It was in the early to mid 70's that I was old enough to recognize the womens movement. I will never forget the burning bras incidents of the 60's & 70's. ha! The Gloria Steinem era. Men kept women very much under their thumbs. It was a different generation. So much has changed. Thank goodness ladies, a lot of women fought hard for those changes & to this day are working on issues.

Anywho, sorry went off topic there. It is a great show try to stick with it. I think you will see the payoff.
"they're my celebrities, they're what I care about"

Corrine
Consistently Mediocre

Postby Corrine » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:45 am

Okay, you guys have convinced me. I'm going to keep going with Mad Men and see how I like it. It's definitely intriguing, and really kind of scary to think how life was for women back then, or I suppose scary from our point of view now, since I suppose it was normal back then.

VaiVedrai
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby VaiVedrai » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:07 am

There was an article a while back in MacLean's magazine about Mad Men, and how even though it's supposed to be a subversive satire of that era (according to its creators), many viewers just don't get it. Instead, it's an anachronistic ideal of powerful men and submissive women, and it encourages those stereotypes to be returned to our modernized society, or something like that...I can't watch the show myself; it gets me angry every time. :doh:
If you don't know the answer, change the question.

Corrine
Consistently Mediocre

Postby Corrine » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:05 am

I probably need to watch a bit more of it to come to some kind of conclusion on it. I've only watched the first show completely through, and from that show a person would conclude that all men back then were as#h@l$s, and all women were learning to be submissive in ways to manipulate them. Although, I'm sure in some ways this was true, but when I think of my own family (and I was born in 1969), my father and grandfather were very supportive of my education and career. In fact I would say that my father was and is still pushy about my having a financially successful independent career. Since they lived through those times, I imagine the series is not necessarily representative of the way men were. Of course maybe (as I actually watch some more episodes) they might come up with some male characters with more redeeming qualities.

songbird

Postby songbird » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:12 am

Personally, I love Mad Men. I have season 1 on DVD, and then watched season 2 on reruns on TV...it was quite addicting!
"We're addressing the issues but we're keeping it funky."

Image Image

hurt_feelings
New arrival

Postby hurt_feelings » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:36 am

Apart from FotC, I'm a big fan of:

The Wire
Six Feet Under
Big Love
Entourage
True Blood
Dexter

Yeah, I guess I love HBO :D .

Corrine
Consistently Mediocre

Postby Corrine » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:45 am

How's Six Feet Under? I noticed that series at the library and thought of getting it out. Also, what is Dexter? I guess I should seek that one out too. I've noticed other people mentioning it too, but have never heard of it at all.

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:02 am

Corrine wrote:How's Six Feet Under? I noticed that series at the library and thought of getting it out. Also, what is Dexter? I guess I should seek that one out too. I've noticed other people mentioning it too, but have never heard of it at all.

I haven't seen Six Feet Under, but the star of Dexter was in that one too.

Dexter is a funny/dramatic/graphic series about a man who, from a very young age due to a trauma, has serial killer tendencies. His adoptive father, a police officer, recognises this when Dexter is growing up and helps Dexter learn to control and use it for the common good. Dexter has no normal human emotions and that is what makes the show funny. He has to repeat things to himself like, "I will not kill my sister, I will not kill my sister."

Dexter becomes a blood spatter expert and works for the Miami PD along with his sister. There is a great cast, great stories and Michael C. Hall is a fine looking man, and since it's from Showtime we get to see a lot of him. :D There are some graphic murder scenes and sex too, so not for the kiddies.

Probably not for everyone, but every season (there are three so far) has gotten better and better.
Image..Image..Image

Corrine
Consistently Mediocre

Postby Corrine » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:44 am

Oh, okay, I think I've heard of it. Usually I don't go for anything that involves serial killing, although maybe this is done in more of a comic way rather than a gruesome way?

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:51 am

Corrine wrote:How's Six Feet Under? I noticed that series at the library and thought of getting it out. Also, what is Dexter? I guess I should seek that one out too. I've noticed other people mentioning it too, but have never heard of it at all.

Run, run, run and get Six Feet Under. It is probably the best series I've seen in the last several years, except for FoTC. From the very first few minutes of the very first episode, the show is set up, and off you go, on a ride you never expected to take. Who knew a show about a funeral parlor could be funny? Don't get me wrong, it's a drama, but there are enough quirky characters (Rainn Wilson from The Office, as one) to keep it from being too dark. The cast is downright excellent, the writing superb, and you really care about these characters. Go get it - now!!! :nod: :thumb:

I don't have Showtime, so I've never seen Dexter, but the star, Michael C Hall, was one of the stars of Six Feet Under, so I'm sure he's terrific in that as well. He constantly gets award nominations for it. I had an offer from Verizon to get every premium channel (Showtime, Starz, Encore, etc) for an extra $15 a month, which is outrageously cheap, but I turned it down because I know myself, and I would never turn the damn TV off if I had all those choices.
Except I'd have Dexter...:puzzled: ...now, should I change my mind? :hrm:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

hurt_feelings
New arrival

Postby hurt_feelings » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:51 am

Six Feet Under is wonderful. It's about a family that owns and operates a funeral home and is therefore constantly facing death (each episode starts with someone dying). It's deep, thought-provoking, often darkly funny, and a very rich viewing experience overall. The actors are all incredible, and Michael C. Hall from Dexter does indeed appear in this too. He plays a completely different role though, a testament to his acting talents.

By darkly funny I mean something like this scene:

Six Feet Under scene

nonchalant_obsession has already described Dexter, so all I can add is that the killings are indeed gruesome and not exactly in a comic way. I think what probably makes the show funny is that by hearing the title character's constant stream of thoughts you become sort of an accomplice of his particular way of viewing the world.

I find it very interesting to see how the relationships he initially established to sort of be viewed as a normal person are now making him increasingly human.

4everconchordsfan

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:54 am

You've got to see Six Feet Under immediately if not sooner.

The series ended a long time ago & I still pull out my SFU dvds & watch. It will stay with you forever. It had the best series finale in the history of television.

They say that everyone gets their 15 minutes of fame. Six Feet Under kinda brought me 15 minutes of fame. LOL.

I visited the SFU message boards at HBO regularly & I wrote a bunch of gushing reviews that happened to be read & chosen by the writers. One day I pull up the HBO Six Feet Under homepage & see the title "What fans are saying about SFU" & I start reading and it was an omg light bulb moment, it occured to me that I wrote that, hey I wrote that. A show that I loved more than life itself used my quotes, on their homepage. The HBO homepage. My one true love is FOTC but this was pre-conchords HBO you'll understand. I was so excited I think I called every person Ive ever met to tell them. It stayed on the homepage for a good long while. I was very proud, needless to say SFU holds a special place in my heart.
"they're my celebrities, they're what I care about"

Return to “Off topic rambles”