FotC Isnt the Only Thing on TV

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Re: FotC Isnt the Only Thing on TV

Postby Nancy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:40 am

Congratulations, 4Ever! Seeing your words on HBO's homepage must have been so exciting. :yay:

Six Feet Under is one show that I watched from the first episode to the last, rarely missing a Sunday night in all those years.
I still regard all of those actors as the best in the business, and it's always a treat when one of them shows up on a new series. And I agree, it had the most intriguing finale ever! :clap:

*writes note to self to get the DVDs*
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

4everconchordsfan
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:09 am

Any fans of McLeods Daughters here? It is such a beautiful series. It was televised in the U.S. on WE (Womens Entertainment Television) before that channel turned really raunchy. Ive always hoped that it would be brought back to American television. Although the series is thoroughly Australian, at least half the cast is comprised of kiwi actors.

A little bit about McLeods Daughters:

An award-winning Australian drama series that aired on the Nine Network from 2001 to 2009. It tells the story of two sisters, Claire and Tess McLeod, who are reunited after when they inherit a vast outback cattle station. Thrown together after 20 years apart they pull together an all-female workforce and commit to life at Drovers Run in South Australia.

Jack McLeod dies and leaves his heavily mortgaged family farm, Drovers Run, to his daughters. Tess returns home to the place she left more than 20 years before. Jack was first married to Prudence and they had a daughter Claire and a son Adam. He married Ruth Silverman, and they have a daughter, Tess. The two girls were close growing up, but were separated when Ruth took 5-year-old Tess back to the city.

Tess hopes to cash out her share of the farm and opening a cafe in the city, but is disappointed to be met with a less-than-rosy financial picture and the open resentment of her older sister. Claire fires the male workforce and the sisters run the farm themselves, with the help of housekeeper Meg Fountain, her daughter Jodi, and local girl Becky. The tentative partnership is the first step in the reunited sisters' effort to heal old wounds, improve their relationship, and lift the property out of debt.

Dont worry ladies there are tons of gorgeous men on the show also.

McLeod's Daughters is the first prime-time drama series to be filmed entirely in South Australia. It is filmed on a working property located in the Light Regional District, between the townships of Gawler and Freeling, one hour north of Adelaide.

The property, Kingsford, is surrounded by 135 acres (55ha) of farming land, it took over 30 years to build and was finished in 1856. It is isolated among the hills and gives a clear 360 degree view. Being able to film on a working farm would be fundamental to the success of the series.

Although Kingsford was a grand property in its day, it is now quite run down - a look that was important for the production design of the series, as the McLeod family has no money for maintenance. While filming the series the property had 150 sheep, 100 cattle, 15 horses, working dogs and a team of stockmen. In other words, the fictional Drovers Run property is a central character in the story of the McLeods.

The cinematography for McLeod's Daughters is vast and the composition is beautiful. Director of Photography, Roger Dowling has masterfully created the illusion that the series is shot on a 20,000 acre property in the Australian bush. McLeod's Daughters is shot on Super 16mm film, The show uses three cameras, two on main unit and a third on second unit.

My apologies to everyone for going long. I may have gotten carried away. I love being introduced to new television particularly from another country & hope that everyone here will turn me on to some new shows too.

Sherry I will understand if you wish to remove this post.
Last edited by 4everconchordsfan on Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"they're my celebrities, they're what I care about"

4everconchordsfan
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:18 am

Nancy Hillner wrote:Congratulations, 4Ever! Seeing your words on HBO's homepage must have been so exciting. :yay:

Six Feet Under is one show that I watched from the first episode to the last, rarely missing a Sunday night in all those years.
I still regard all of those actors as the best in the business, and it's always a treat when one of them shows up on a new series. And I agree, it had the most intriguing finale ever! :clap:

*writes note to self to get the DVDs*

Awww. Thank you so much. I was worried after I posted here. I dont wanna sound like I have a big head. Im not at all like that. It was one of the most thrilling events though. I still get a little giddy when I think about it. That show was the best & it meant a lot to me, a diehard fan, that my heartfelt thoughts were recognized.
"they're my celebrities, they're what I care about"

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:04 am

Now to the other end of the spectrum: Did anybody else watch I'm A Celebrity...Get Me Out Of Here?

I describe it like witnessing a bad accident - you know you should turn away, but you just can't!
I only knew who Spencer and Heidi were through The Soup, so to see how truly awful they are as people was a bit shocking. Such Holier-Than-Thou attitudes!
Spencer: I'm too rich, I'm too famous to be with these people. I'm a super celebrity.

All I can say is, I wanna be around when his star fades. :cheer:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Cuse
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Cuse » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:16 am

Dexter is my fave show on TV (I actually watch the pirated ones). One of the best tv show intros ever--gets me hyped up every time it comes on.

Six Feet Under had the BEST ending of a tv series I've ever seen. It feels complete when you watch it. Not only was it a great way to end it, but it tied into the whole concept at the beginning of each episode.

Michael C Hall is an amazing actor. He goes from playing a wimpy gay (happens to be gay, you know what I mean) guy, to a heartless (yet lovable) serial killer. Think about that!

Corrine
Consistently Mediocre

Postby Corrine » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:16 am

Okay, wow! After all those glowing reviews, I guess my next dvd rental from the library will be Six Feet Under. I'll have to take madmen back first. I've picked it off the shelf (SFU) a million times, but never got it. I had a close friend when I lived in California who loved it. It just seemed like such a strange premise to me, but I suppose that's the genius of HBO, they take something odd and make it really good. I'll definitely give it a shot.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:34 am

Cuse wrote:Dexter is my fave show on TV (I actually watch the pirated ones). One of the best tv show intros ever--gets me hyped up every time it comes on.

Six Feet Under had the BEST ending of a tv series I've ever seen. It feels complete when you watch it. Not only was it a great way to end it, but it tied into the whole concept at the beginning of each episode.

Michael C Hall is an amazing actor. He goes from playing a wimpy gay (happens to be gay, you know what I mean) guy, to a heartless (yet lovable) serial killer. Think about that!

For the record, Michael is married and performed on Broadway with his wife in "Chicago".
I guess I should get me some Dexter dvds so I can fully appreciate his talent.
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:38 pm

Yes, I was shocked to find out who he married... (You may not want to look at this if you are planning to watch Dexter for the first time, it might skew your feelings about certain characters.)The actress who plays Debra, his sister on Dexter!!! Jennifer Carpenter
Image..Image..Image

Corrine
Consistently Mediocre

Postby Corrine » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:07 pm

I might try Dexter too, since you guys are talking about it so much. I just have a wee bit of a problem with the theme of "serial killer". I won't even watch the Hannibal the Canibal movies even though he only kills bad people. It's just the thought of it all that makes me squirm. I think I'll go for Six Feet Under first, and then if I like it, I'll try Dexter.

ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:04 pm

On a freaky (not in a good way) note, did anyone else see My Monkey Baby on Channel 4 last night.

The only appropriate response I had was 'Stop touching those monkeys' (and dressing them up!)
It's a psychological analogy

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:31 pm

ZebraWarriorPrincess wrote:On a freaky (not in a good way) note, did anyone else see My Monkey Baby on Channel 4 last night.

The only appropriate response I had was 'Stop touching those monkeys' (and dressing them up!)

:shock: We don't get Channel 4 so I can only imagine...and I am imagining some pretty freaky shi' here :shock: Would you like to elaborate?
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:29 am

Biscuit, you may be able to watch it online, here's a link:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/my-m ... up#2919990

Essentially, people treating the monkeys like their kids - clothes, toys, bedrooms, etc.

These animals are spoilt rotten: they have their own bedrooms; the latest toys and games; a seat at the dinner table, and in the car; wardrobes full of designer clothes; and even make-up. And in the park their 'primate parents' push their monkeys in prams to play on the swings and slides.
To Lori and Jim Johnson, Jessica Marie is far more than a Capuchin monkey. 'If I hear anyone call her a monkey I throw a fit,' says 'dad' Jim, 'She's my daughter, 100%'. For Lori, having a 'monkid' seemed the perfect answer to her needs: 'I knew exactly what I was going to do, she was going to be a baby I was going to have forever.'
To have a child that never grows up sounds like a nightmare to many, but to these parents it can seem like a dream come true. What makes a couple take on a 40-year commitment to an eternal toddler? How strong is the mother/monkey attachment? And can a monkey really become a child substitute?

(from C4 website)
Reminded me of the Liz Jensen book "Ark Baby' - that was pretty weird!

ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:45 am

This is quite funny - kind of a similar joke to Hiphopapotamus v Rhymenocerous, but in WWII
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHCZrgHw ... re=related

Also, some more 'novelty music'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3cc9rXB ... PL&index=1

Corrine
Consistently Mediocre

Postby Corrine » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:56 pm

Oh my gosh, Zebra, those are so funny! I have never heard of Armstrong and Miller. (See I'm learning about all sorts of things on this website.) You should put those links on the giggle fit thread!
:rolls:

ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:00 pm

Yeah, I spotted that thread just after I posted these!

I love Armstrong and Miller - really hope they do another series!

Return to “Off topic rambles”