FotC Isnt the Only Thing on TV

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
eejm
Registered Rhymnecologist

Re: FotC Isnt the Only Thing on TV

Postby eejm » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:57 pm

mohumbhai mania wrote:Jeez. I though American Pickers was about guitarists! But I guess they could be trash-pickers, too.

eejm, I was the same way. And when I actually got to that, erm, place, I was very careful.

Anyway.
A great show I stumbled across on TVOne - Unsung. It's like Behind the Music, but it's all about soul and R&B acts that had commercial success but were underrated for one reason or another. Minnie Riperton, Shalamar, Florence Ballard, Zapp, Teena Marie those are the ones I've seen. And they have Sylvester and Rose Royce coming up. I'm in music geek heaven - they have all these great old Soul Train clips, japanese videos, radio interviews. And the big names come out to be on camera - Snoop Dogg, Berry Gordy, Smoky Robinson, Quincy Jones (I'm looking at you Nancy:D).

It's really music geek heaven. The Sylvester one has the Weather Girls and the Pointer Sisters showing up, according to the blurb on the TV One site - could there be a RuPaul appearance?!?!?!

Anyway, a whole big hour of squeee for me. :supz:

Ooh, I'll have to check and see if I get TV1. I'd love to see the Sylvester episode. I know his impact on dance music is absolutely celebrated now, but he was pretty niche during his own lifetime. I'm guessing Jermaine Stewart will be on at some point as well, for many of the same reasons. Thanks for passing this on, MM.

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:03 pm

Jermaine Stewart passed on in the 90s. I'm very sorry to tell you that.

But yes. House music probably wouldn't have happened without Sylvester, and his partner Patrick Cowley made some pretty awesome records, with and without Sylvester.

Djola Branner, a onetime Minneapolitan, did a one-man show about Sylvester and he's shopping it to movie producers. I missed it every time it played in town, but maybe this TV show will drum up some interest.

I also hope Byron Stingily (aka the lead singer for Ten City and arguably one of the best singers house music ever produced) will show up. He did a ferociously good version of "Mighty Real" about 10-12 years ago.
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

eejm

Postby eejm » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:22 pm

mohumbhai mania wrote:Jermaine Stewart passed on in the 90s. I'm very sorry to tell you that.

No, I know he did. Re-reading my post I realize what I wrote was confusing. What I meant to say is that Jermaine Stewart would fit the profile of a lot of the R&B performers on the show. I didn't mean to place him the same era as Sylvester.

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:36 pm

Oh, yeah. I do believe that Jermaine's style, and definitely Byron Stingily's were influenced by Sylvester.

Whew! I'm glad i didn't have to break the bad news to you! :D
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

eejm

Postby eejm » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:39 am

I don't have TV1. Meh.

I did find out, however, that I have the History Channel in Spanish.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:41 am

:tears: I don't get TV1! It's not offered here. :tears:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

kipples
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby kipples » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:27 am

Just found out 24 has been axed. Probably about time. Obvious joke but, really, how many bad days can Jack Bauer have?
The latest series is a pretty lame imo and I was close to giving up on it, but I guess it's a way to make viewers watch until the end now ey?

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:42 am

I'm really getting into Arrested Development lately. LOVE IT!

kipples
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby kipples » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:02 am

kellysouthpaw wrote:I'm really getting into Arrested Development lately. LOVE IT!

Oh my god, Arrested Development could possibly be the greatest comedy ever!! :D
There are so many jokes that you'll only get from watching previous episodes and there are so many things that you won't see on a first viewing. The DVD's are really good value for money that way!

There's been talk for a while now that a movie is coming out and at the moment there saying next year.
Absolute travesty that it was canceled. :x

Think I'll start re-watching my DVD's from the beginning now. Thanks for the push kelly :D

Carol

Postby Carol » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:25 am

Has anyone mentioned How To Make It In America? I'm liking it a lot. Sorry that the season finale is already upon us.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:13 am

I never caught it. I'm not sure why.

The only HBO show I watch religiously now is The Ricky Gervais Show. :roll2:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:54 am

OK, I can't stop watching Little Britain right now. And Anne is totally my favorite character this week. I can't stop squeaking EEH EEH EEH! Here is a skit I hadn't seen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWIB8F1eXfk

I laughed so hard that my roommates came in wondering if I was ok.

Carol

Postby Carol » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:43 am

I love the Ricky Gervais show. Poor little Karl. They're so mean to him!

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:35 pm

I also love Ricky's show. The animation is hysterical, and Ricky's laugh is priceless. I know they're kind of mean to Karl, but it's not really malicious - they truly like him, he's just soooo odd! :roll2:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Mon May 17, 2010 9:28 am

Ok, have you guys started watching Treme yet???? I'm sooooooo addicted. I'm only on like the 5th episode but I'm WAY sucked in. I freaking LOVED The Wire. I didn't hear about Treme until I was moving so I didn't get to start watching it until like last week but it is wicked awesome. And Wendell Pierce is also in it. he played Bunk in The Wire. Anyway, he played a trombone player, Antoine and I'm so in love with him. Leave it to me to divorce a musician and then fall for another one :D:D:D

Return to “Off topic rambles”