Travel!

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Travel!

Postby Gayle » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:17 am

What is your favorite travel experience?
4 out of 3 people have difficulty with fractions.

MadMax
Top Bloke

Postby MadMax » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:27 am

Oooo, I have too many!

I lived in Sweden for 6 months when I was 8... and spent some of that time backpacking around Europe (youth hostels, trains..) with my Mum and my 6 year old brother. I was just old enough to remember it all. :D

I've been nearly everywhere in Australia - although my favourite trip was probably when I went to Tasmania. We hiked across the central plateau for 5 days, went whitewater rafting, then went rock-climbing near Hourglass Bay (including a 200m multi-pitch climb where at one stage I was being stopped from falling into water crashing at the rocks beneath my feet by the tiniest of ledges (I could fit one foot on it) and a very very thin strap :D

I lived in New Zealand for 15 months and saw quite a bit of that. Love the South Island and all the lakes (plus Taupo on the North Island..), and Nelson/Abel Tasman National Park are also *gorgeous* and such nice places to be.

Plus I've had a few rather special trips to England in the last few years, including a *very* nice weekend spent up in Edinburgh. :)

Finding a "favourite travel experience" from all that is just too hard!
"..you can't take the sky from me.."

Kate
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Kate » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:42 pm

The only thing about my former job was that I got to travel extensively. In the few years that I did that job, I tried to make up for a lifetime of cracking the books to get my education over and done with as soon as possible, and travelled whenever possible. Usually, business travel would take me to the capitals of countries, and it was up to me to arrange side trips to places within the country myself.

Like Max, it would be hard for me to say I had a favorite travel experience. Every place I went had its own charm. The most memorable times were had, however, in Ireland and Tuscany. The beauty of those places just took my breath away at times. I loved London and Paris, but the rural charm of Ireland and Tuscany lent itself to a whole different experience. I didn't want to leave either of those places.

I have a dear friend in Australia, and one in New Zealand. I would love to visit them, but I guess time will tell if I will ever get there or not!

This is a great thread! I can't wait to hear what you all have to say.

Spammy
Giving the paper to the people

Postby Spammy » Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:04 pm

I've only been to Yamba on the north coast of NSW and Melbourne for the comedy festival earlier this year. I loved Melbourne so much I really would love to live there but too many obstacles at the moment. I am going to queensland for two weeks next March. That should be fun... themeparks! :roll2: I plan on seeing the world but at the moment I am seriously considering joing the army to be a cook. That'll feature a little bit of travelling to some barracks around Aus. It'll help me save to do the travelling I want.
That was my 25th post. I belong now! *dances*
"You see a peanut, the day's off to a good start. You witness some soil, it's a jamboree for Vince Noir" - Howard Moon - The Mighty Boosh

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:48 pm

I haven't travelled as much as I would like to -- at least in terms of visiting different countries. My mother's family lives in Scotland, so any major travel always meant going to England and Scotland to see family. Not that I minded. I really do love Scotland.

The only other country I've been to is Italy, and I've been there three times. I went on my own the first two times and the last time I went with G (who is from Bologna). It's hard to pick a favorite trip (although the second one was crap for a variety of reasons), but the first and third were fantastic. When I went with G, we went for Christmas/New Year, which was a fantastic experience. New Year's Eve was wonderful. His family lives in the center of town on the top floor of their building and have access to the roof. At midnight, fireworks go off all over town and on the hills outside of town, so we went onto the roof to see the display. It was unbelievable.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

conchordgirl
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby conchordgirl » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:45 pm

I haven't been lucky enough to visit Europe or really anywhere off of this continent but I have traveled a lot in Mexico. Two favorite travel experiences : one was to visit the Huichol Indians at the top of a very steep mountain, we had to cross a lake in this small aluminum boat and then try to climb this mountain without falling off it. That was a challenge, during which we see this little boy practically run up the side of this mountain. The Huichol people were so incredibly wonderful, there is concern that they will be changed by the outside world, but this hasn't happened yet. I hope it doesn't. The second happened during the same trip and involves racing down a river in a little boat during a rainstorm with lighting hitting the ground all around us..it was quite an experience. Makes me want to plan a trip back.

--Nicole
Oh, look at me! I'm the magical man from happy land, in a gumdrop house on lollipop laaaaaane!!
Oh by the way I was being sarcastic.--Homer Simpson

Sherry
Professional Blonde

My 7 or so years spent living overseas

Postby Sherry » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:06 pm

Yes, 7 or so years spent living overseas in my 20's :D

I had a blast. Started off outside of Hamburg in Germany. Wonderful city. Spent almost a year there. Then on to Ireland, Ennis, Galway and around and about via a pub or two. Then back to the UK for a short while before packing my bags and moving to Amsterdam for 5 years. It was like one long holiday in some ways. Even though I was working hard, I learnt a new language, embraced another culture and way of life and fell completly in love with a city like I have done with no other.

I took holidays while based there, but nothing comes close to the time spent living there. It will always hold a very special place in my heart and be the one city I call home. I hope to return there someday, at least for a little while.

I have to say, I also loved Australia. Spent time around Adelaide in South Australia visiting a special someone :) That was wonderful also, but I never really fell totally for the city or country. Might do if I was going to spend more time there, as it is lovely and a joy to wander the streets. Lots of happy memories and looking forward to making more to come :)

And ummm, Italy. The country, the people, the culture, the food!

djdeathskiss
Keeping it funky

Postby djdeathskiss » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:06 pm

The only country outside the US i've been to is Canada; Toronto is one of my favorite cities ever. I have been able to see quite a bit of the States; Palm Springs, California is really beautiful, as is Kentucky and Tennessee. There is nothing like being up in the Smoky Mountains while it's raining.

One day (hopefully in the not-too-distant-future) I plan to make it to New Zealand and Australia.

As for favorite travel experience, I would say when my husband and I went to California last year for the Coachella Music Festival. We stayed in Palm Springs at this cheap, amazing little hotel, which faced the mountains on one side, and the desert on the other. Next to our patio there was a hummingbird's nest with at least half a dozen of the little guys bizzing around us. The festival was in Indio, about 20 miles away, on a polo field. We saw a lot of fantastic bands, and also find time to make the 25 minute drive to Joshua Tree National Park. A perfect few days.
"Of course i'm home; i'm always home. I'm uncool!" - Lester Bangs, 'Almost Famous'

Ellen

Postby Ellen » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:15 pm

Like Nicole, I am fond of Mexico. One of my favorite travel memories is tracking spider monkeys with a Mayan guide on a trek through the Mexican jungle. The monkeys were high up in the trees and they were throwing things at us! It was a real National Geographic kind of experience. I have also enjoyed swimming with stingrays on Grand Cayman (that was a little freaky, though), and swimming with dolphins on Key Largo. One summer, I studied in London. I got to meet my wonderful English cousins, do some genealogy research, and see the places some of my ancestors knew.

/me

Postby /me » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:34 am

My only two trips out of the states were the two to Scotland a few years ago, most of which was documented on Figwit Lives, which I vaguely remember a few people saying they read recently :oops: But the trips were fantastic, I made so many good friends out of it, got a Conchords obsession, and I just love, LOVE Edinburgh. My only regrets being that in 2 trips, I didn't meet a single Scotsman and that I didn't find out until the end of the second trip that waving around 2 fingers at people is highly offensive, as I was finally told by a bus driver when I asked for "two tickets, please". He informed me he would give me the tickets, but he didn't appreciate my tone. :rolls: As for the Scotsmen, I think they all run for the hills when the Edinburgh Festival gets underway.

I would like to go to Ireland someday, as I have family there somewhere, as well as New Zealand, as I have some friends there, but mostly I really want to visit Japan. I love Japan, it's culture and people, but I would rather wait until I find someone who actually lives there and can really introduce me to "Japan." I am more interested in the people and culture than the whole touristy thing. Conchordgirl, your tip to visit the Huichol Indians really sounded fascinating.
Ooooh Flight of the Conchords! You're so big!

:comehere: Conchordians Unite! Join the FotC map!

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:21 am

Wow, everyone's travel experiences sound wonderful. I want to see so many places (Italy, Switzerland, New Zealand, Hawaii, Wales, re-visit Scotland, etc. etc. etc...).

I finally got to see Ireland this April, which I had wanted to see for 10 years. This trip was my first vacation with just friends and no family. I went with two of my girlfriends for 10 days. Heaven. We spent a few days in Doolin, a tiny little town south west of Galway. I loved it there. I became known in town as "the girl with the pink coat". :shock: We visited one of the Aran Islands, too. We also visited Killarney, Cork and Dublin. My favorite area was still Doolin, however. The landscape there is breath taking.
Well, here are a couple of pictures. :D They do not do Ireland justice, at all.
I had to restrain myself and only post 7.

Doolin Coast - I loved this sign. LOL

Doolin area

Town of Doolin

Inisheer, Aran Islands

Ross Castle -Killarney National Park, Killarney

The...erm, Millennium Spire? The only name I can remember is the nickname the bus driver (teehee) used. The...'Erection in the Intersection' :rolls: In Dublin

View from Blarney Castle (very touristy - but pretty)
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC

indigo_jones

Postby indigo_jones » Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:14 am

My family all lives in Glasgow, but I finally got to Edinburgh the last time I went. It's a gorgeous city. It was particularly moving to go to the castle and see my grandfather's name in the chapel where the the names of all the Scotsmen who died in battle are listed in big books. My mother's father was killed in Africa during WWII, and seeing his name listed was quite emotional. He died when my mum was only a year old. All my grandmother got was a black-and-white photo of the cross over his grave.

On a cheerier note, I was working for The Body Shop during one of my visits and ended up having a lovely conversation with a guy who worked in one of the stores in Glasgow. A ridiculous thing to remember, but we had a good laugh.

Mildly related, when I was living in NY, there was a mystery book store I used to visit in the Village and I was talking to the owner one day about Ian Rankin and she said that whenever he was in town, he'd bring her a can of Irn Bru. As that was one of my favorite drinks when I'd visit as a kid, I got a kick out of that. I go to local Highland Games periodically (my dad plays the bagpipes) and inevitably someone is selling the stuff. I can't resist, even though it's so incredibly sweet to my adult taste buds. I chase it with a meat pie and all is good! :)

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

/me

Postby /me » Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:55 am

indigo_jones wrote:Mildly related, when I was living in NY, there was a mystery book store I used to visit in the Village and I was talking to the owner one day about Ian Rankin and she said that whenever he was in town, he'd bring her a can of Irn Bru. As that was one of my favorite drinks when I'd visit as a kid, I got a kick out of that. I go to local Highland Games periodically (my dad plays the bagpipes) and inevitably someone is selling the stuff. I can't resist, even though it's so incredibly sweet to my adult taste buds. I chase it with a meat pie and all is good! :)

Oh, I just watched Rebus on television last night...again. I bought the entire Inspector Rebus series after seeing the television version, though I am only halfway through to date. I must admit, I like the television Rebus better, but it is nice to relive my Edinburgh trips through those books. I wish I had made it to Glasgow, but maybe someday. As for Irn Bru, I am a complete sugar addict, but that was even too sweet for me!
Ooooh Flight of the Conchords! You're so big!

:comehere: Conchordians Unite! Join the FotC map!

indigo_jones

Postby indigo_jones » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:03 am

I read the books before I ever saw any of the tv series, so I'm definitely biased. The tv shows mix and match and change things out of order. I can imagine that whichever one you've been exposed to first is going to be the one that colors your image of the series. Although I have no complaints with John Hannah as Rebus -- or as any other character for that matter.

specialkay

Postby specialkay » Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:41 am

We are military and I have been a few places that were absolutely amazing. Salzburg, Austria and Thailand were the two that were the most beautiful places I have ever been. Of course there are a host of places on my list of places I must go and NZ is at the top! :D
I will only put one of each up so that you will not be here for days looking... :wink:
Austria
Thailand
"Growing OLD is mandatory but growing UP is optional" :)
~KAREN~

Return to “Off topic rambles”