10 Things About You

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
jillbean
Registered Rhymnecologist

Re: 10 Things About You

Postby jillbean » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:38 pm

I have three siblings and one has three kids which seems to pretty well satisfy the grandparents. My husband's parents on the other hand have no grand kids as of yet and between that side of the family asking and various other friends/acquaintances I have developed the following answer if they just will not let up with the questions:

"yeah, we're working on getting a puppy first. You can put one of those in a crate and no one comes to investigate that."

I am the first to say, I have a weird sense of humor. I am finding not many of the people that regularly ask when we are going to have kids necessarily appreciate it once I get their reaction to that statement. :wink:

ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:42 pm

:roll2:

I have fish, for much the same reason!

Think both sets of potential grandparents are keen....maybe in a few years.
It's a psychological analogy

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:53 pm

No reason to hurry :wink: I should probably have waited a bit myself, but as it is at least I'll still be young when my kids fly the nest. Assuming they're going to fly the nest :pray:
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:56 pm

Yeah, that's something to look forward to.

Think they're all willing babysitters!

At this rate I'll be dead by the time my prospective children move out....

Peaches
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Peaches » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:06 pm

ZebraWarriorPrincess wrote:I used to get really annoyed at people telling me I would want them - especially middle aged blokes, for some reason. Maybe it's the suggestion that you've either not grown up, or you're a bit freaky (I actually am freaky though!)

I guess having kids is kind of the default - I have a couple of friends who never want to live with a man (straight, but like their own space), and they get loads of questions.

Exactly, why should I have to try and be convinced!? It's my decision, I would love the idea of living on my own (but financially it's not really an option), doesn't mean I'm a weird spinster lunatic.... :lol:
"Item 4 on the agenda: Stuff you!"

"Who else? Mur.. Ray... Oh. Greg's written this, he's put the R's too far apart. It's Murray.. Murray present"

ImageImage
ImageImageImage

ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:11 pm

Sometimes it appeals to me to - especially if I've had a bad day, or am too depressed to deal with anyone. But I'm scared of changing lightbulbs (yup, I'm a freak!). And quite poor most of the time.

eejm

Postby eejm » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:14 pm

I read an article about a married couple who met when they lived in apartments across the hall from each other. After they married, they kept their separate apartments.

OMG, that sounds WONDERFUL.

My husband is very easygoing and isn't difficult to live with (other than the fact that he's a slob, which, coming from me is saying a lot), but it would be so nice just to have my own space. I've always been territorial, and I loved living alone so much. We have a very small house right now, but when we upgrade, I think I need my own room - not to sleep in, but just to have my own stuff and do my own thing in.

We never decided one way or another if we wanted to have children, but we got pregnant completely by surprise. You know how in junior high/high school we were always told that the pill isn't 100% effective? They were totally right!! It was a little jarring to say the least when we found out, but it got better over time. I'm glad we have our son and wouldn't give him up for anything, but I do wish we'd gotten to have him on our own terms.

biscuit

Postby biscuit » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:24 pm

I'm glad I don't live on my own. I come from a medium sized family and love having lots of people around me, even if they drive me crazy :lol: Maybe it's the Italian genes. But then again, my hubby is away every other month as it is, so maybe I that's why I don't feel this need:)

eejm: My best friend went through the same thing, with the pregnancy. She spent the first months mourning the fact that it happened by chance. Now she's pregnant again, and even if she hates being pregnant, she is so happy just to have it on her own terms :lol:

Ozpot

Postby Ozpot » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:25 pm

jillbean wrote:This unicorn?

Yes, that's the one! :nod:
ImageImage

bakergirl30

Postby bakergirl30 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:29 pm

I still think that if my children hadn't been "surprises" I never would of had any. I never had the desire or want for a big family and still don't. I was 21 and in the Dr's office asking about getting my tubes tied and they said no because I was too young and may change my mind.. why thank you and here I am 13 years later and I STILL want no more children. Im good with my 2. :)

edit: I should say I LOVE my boys and am never regretful that I had them. They are my world. BUT I just never felt the need to actively try and have kids.
ImageImageImageImage

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:41 pm

I'm 37 and have less desire than ever to have children. If anything, my mind has become more made up the older I've gotten. Fortunately, my boyfriend doesn't want children either and my parents are quite understanding and supportive of my decision, even though I'm an only child. They, particularly my mother, would have liked grandchildren, but they've been quite good at accepting that our cats and dog are the closest they're getting to grandkids. They do a pretty good job of spoiling them. ;)
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

funny schipperke
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby funny schipperke » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:43 pm

I don't know that I'll ever want kids.... I'm only 29, so I suppose I could still change my mind. But when I think about my parents and how much they would love to have grandkids I feel so bad! Not bad enough that I'm going to have kids just to please them, but I can't help but feel a little guilty. I have two brothers, so I used to think that they could have kids and that would make my parents happy, but my older brother passed away a couple years ago and my little brother is only 17, so (hopefully) it'll be awhile before he starts making babies.
Anyway, it's not like my parents are constantly asking me about it or trying to give me a guilt trip, but when I think about it I can't help but feel bad. But my mom just got a puppy not too long ago, so hopefully that will fill the void for a few years. :)
Image Image

biscuit

Postby biscuit » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:28 pm

Indy, you're really lucky that you have found someone who shares your feelings concerning kids. I know some couples who have a hard time agreeing on that. One of my friends says she's never having kids, and I believe she will never change. Her husband though might want them. He says he doesn't, but all of us who know them feel like he says it because he would rather keep her than have children. I feel a bit sorry for him. She on the other hand has also said that she would rather have kids than lose him...

Having three kids myself I have to say, selfish as it may be, that I hope to have grandchildren some day :whistle:

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:32 pm

Hey Maze, thanks for sharing!

Jillbean- My husband and I don't live in the same house either. This last year we lived in the same town for the first time. I enjoyed it but it was difficult to be in a strange town where I don't know anyone while he was out of town (He's a touring musician).

eejm

Postby eejm » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:19 pm

biscuit wrote:Having three kids myself I have to say, selfish as it may be, that I hope to have grandchildren some day :whistle:

One day I hope to have grandkids too, biscuit. If my son decides not to, it won't be the end of the world, but in 25 years or so (my son is 6), I kind of like the idea of having them around.

My mom was always very nonchalant about grandchildren - she said she'd like to have them, but has never been wild about small children and she never pressured us. My brother had his first child about three years before my son was born, and there was even less pressure after that. My in-laws were absolutely hammering us for grandchildren the minute we got married. They're the type of people that firmly believe NO ONE can be happy without children. It came up in, like, every conversation. We told them to stop holding their breaths several times, and eventually they got the message. They were quite happy when we had our son, their first grandchild. Now my mother in law watches her daughter's two kids daily (ages 2 and 6 mos.) and even forbade (yeah, I know) her daughter from having another child until the youngest is three...but, now she's started up on us having another baby. I seriously don't know what her issue is.

I'm with you, bakergirl - I'm not sure if I'd have had children without it happening as it did. I don't think I'd be heartbroken if we don't have another.

Return to “Off topic rambles”