So I sit in total awe

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
kellysouthpaw

Re: So I sit in total awe

Postby kellysouthpaw » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:39 pm

indigo_jones wrote:I'm also up for tuna and peas in mac and cheese.

Good - you should try it.

Because it is PHENOMENAL.

It'll change your life, I promise.

Actually, I shouldn't promise that. That's a heavy promise to make.

tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby tvldiva » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:54 am

mockingbird wrote:Oh! You should have seen Jon Stewart eat some Baconnaise on The Daily Show a few weeks ago! I thought the poor man was going to throw up! I almost threw up, just watching him.

While I also believe everything goes better with bacon(even chocolate covered bacon- yummy), but that Baconnaise stuff sounds so gross.

I volunteer down at the local food bank, and we get some of the strangest stuff thru there. I love when we get foreign food and we try to figure out what it is. We, of course, have a shelf to display all of the finds. My favorite is the canned Scottish Hagis. :sick: Hagis under the best conditions is suspect, but canned. :hrmpf:
Why don't you accept me as your God!?

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:16 pm

I've actually had tuna, peas and mac and cheese; that's why I said I was up for it. It's my easy version of tuna casserole. ;)

I like real haggis, and I've had the canned stuff, too, which isn't that bad, really.

Looking through this site, I take most issue with the savory stuff then paired with sweet donuts. I'm fine with stroop on my spek en kaas pannenkoek (syrup on my ham and cheese pancake), but that's about it.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Val2150
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Val2150 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:18 pm

indigo_jones wrote: I'm fine with stroop on my spek en kaas pannenkoek (syrup on my ham and cheese pancake)

:shock: :shock: :shock: That sounds vile yet....strangely tasty. :rolleyes: Are we talking like maple syrup here or something else entirely?
"You do not choose sexy. Sexy chooses you." -mohumbai mania

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:21 pm

Oh, I think that sounds GREAT. :tonqe: When we go out to the breakfast buffet I always put maple syrup on my ham. In fact I bring a little cup of it to the table to dip my sausage in.

Why have I never seen ham and cheese pancakes here in the States?? That sounds right up our alley. :)

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:05 pm

mockingbird wrote:Oh, I think that sounds GREAT. :tonqe: When we go out to the breakfast buffet I always put maple syrup on my ham. In fact I bring a little cup of it to the table to dip my sausage in.

Why have I never seen ham and cheese pancakes here in the States?? That sounds right up our alley. :)

If we did I would probably put syrup on it with a little bit of ketchup to dip it in. I'm a sick, sick puppy

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:45 pm

The syrup here is like regular syrup, although I don't find it quite as sweet, which is probably why I like it with an otherwise savory dish. I'm not usually a fan of sweet with savory, which is why I rarely like to put fruit with meat. The pancakes here, though, are nothing like American pancakes. They're a bit more like French crepes, but still different. Regardless, they're lekker! Yum!

I have a friend who's a big ketchup fan, too, kelly, although maybe not to your level! :tonqe:
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

trefusis
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby trefusis » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:10 pm

Ham and bacon take sweetness really well - I'm not so hot on sweet + savoury either but do make an exception for that. Especially pancakes with bacon and maple syrup, which I discovered when in the U.S. My sister swears by bacon and marmalade toasties, which I can't quite bring myself to try :hrm: , but suppose they might work for similar reasons.
That's the conclusion that I've come to, but...

ardy
Redheads not warheads

Postby ardy » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:11 pm

i have always poured syrup over the sausage...i thought everybody did.
...Detroit - City of Tomorrow...

take this sinking boat and point it home..we've still got time...

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:16 pm

indigo_jones wrote:
I have a friend who's a big ketchup fan, too, kelly, although maybe not to your level! :tonqe:

Indigo, even my own family is disgusted with the fact I use so much ketchup. I put it on all meat and meat products (regardless of availability of gravy), all egg products, and some potato products as well.

Is your friend that into ketchup? LOL

ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

Postby ASmallTurnip » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:34 pm

My brother showed me this website a couple of weeks ago, and we spent, I swear, about two hours laughing hysterically at all of the revolting stuff. It's so horrendously brilliant. My bro and I are very, very different (he's terrifyingly clever and cerebral and logical and I am.....not those things), but we do really bond over our love of food and cooking. But clearly we aren't using nearly enough bacon in our recipes.

My favourite was the deep-fried "grilled" cheese sandwich, which I would totally, totally eat:

B's favourite was The Sandwich of Knowledge, which I absolutely would not eat unless fantastically drunk and/or high:

"The bottom tier contains eight strips of bacon, six sausages and four burger paddies; followed by a second tier of black pudding; topped by a third tier comprised of two diced chicken breasts and six fried eggs."

But both of us were inordinately fond of the tin of Pork Brains in Milk Gravy:

Yes folks, that's right. 3500mg of cholesterol, or a healthy 1170% of your daily recommended intake. Amazing.

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.

Val2150
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Val2150 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:03 pm

The deep-fried grilled cheese looks AMAZING. Like the perfect drunk-at-3am or hungover-the-next-day snack. :D

But.....canned....pork brains? :shock: :shock: :shock: *insert barfing noise* :sick:
"You do not choose sexy. Sexy chooses you." -mohumbai mania

WomanInThePark
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby WomanInThePark » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:19 pm

You guys make me feel very average. I like my food normal.
Also, slightly off topic, but: can someone explain to me what pig tastes like? Inquiring minds...
Beth, did you really need to fake your death?

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:47 am

Well...meat is incredibly hard for me to describe as far as taste. It's best with bbq sauce.

I've never had pig brains though. So I'm not help there.

tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby tvldiva » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:24 am

ASmallTurnip wrote:My favourite was the deep-fried "grilled" cheese sandwich, which I would totally, totally eat:

Oh yeah....this does look good....and I'm sober right now.

ASmallTurnip wrote:B's favourite was The Sandwich of Knowledge, which I absolutely would not eat unless fantastically drunk and/or high:

"The bottom tier contains eight strips of bacon, six sausages and four burger paddies; followed by a second tier of black pudding; topped by a third tier comprised of two diced chicken breasts and six fried eggs."

Wow, I think we may need to do separate catagories- sober and not so sober. There are plenty of things that are f'ing fantastic when I'm not so sober. :whistle:

ASmallTurnip wrote:But both of us were inordinately fond of the tin of Pork Brains in Milk Gravy:

Yes folks, that's right. 3500mg of cholesterol, or a healthy 1170% of your daily recommended intake. Amazing.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
I don't know if you checked it but the sodium is only 550mg a serving. :worry: A Big Mac has 1040mg a serving(but only 75mg of cholesterol).
Why don't you accept me as your God!?

Return to “Off topic rambles”