I hate college.

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
kellysouthpaw

I hate college.

Postby kellysouthpaw » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:11 pm

I hate registering for classes at college ESPECIALLY. First of all, they gave priority registration to a certain program so they could register before everyone else. So a lot of the prime time slots were gone. THEN when I went to register, the class I desperately need in the ONLY TIME SLOT I can fit it in has been closed until the other time slots have filled up.

:bang:

As it stands right now I have a horrible schedule with some of the worst profs in the department. I've scheduled an appointment with a counselor who can give me "permission" to enter a couple of the online classes, which will hopefully open up my schedule so I can get into another time slot of the course that is closed...

If not -- :evil:

Please share advice or comparable stories to make me feel better!

ardy
Redheads not warheads

Re: I hate college.

Postby ardy » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:15 pm

same sorta thing happened to my daughter - however - she kept trying for the classes she got shut out of up until and after payment deadline. checked everyday and voila! they opened up...people drop the registration, some people drop because they can't pay. keep trying, you may be able to get the class you want eventually.
...Detroit - City of Tomorrow...

take this sinking boat and point it home..we've still got time...

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:59 pm

Thanks ardy!

I ended up calling the registration people, who sent me to the Biology department (the course that was closed was Medical Microbiology), who said that it was closed because it was reserved for the College of Allied Health students. When I told them I WAS an Allied Health student, they transferred me to the Allied Health department, who registered me for the class manually!

Took me forever though.

So now I can switch my schedule so I actually get the GOOD chemistry Professor.

ratemyprofessors.com is a huge blessing to have up your sleeve. Ardy, if your daughter doesn't know about that website, she needs to know. It will save her LIFE.

ardy
Redheads not warheads

Postby ardy » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:03 pm

yes, she mos def refers to ratemyprofessor.com all the time :)
...Detroit - City of Tomorrow...

take this sinking boat and point it home..we've still got time...

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:05 pm

Good! I won't sign up for any class in which the professor is OVERWHELMINGLY not recommended.

Luckily the one I have now is almost 100% recommended :)

Paperkid
Lost but happy at sea

Postby Paperkid » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:30 pm

After college, I learned that it's not the teachers you have that make the difference, it's what you do with what you've learned. Make the most out of college you can, learn everything you can even if you have to do extra stuff on your own due to inefficient teachers, and enjoy it. Trust me, it's way way better than working. Strive to do the best you can. This is easy advice for me to give in hindsight. If I had to do it all over again, one of the main things I would do differently is to get more out of college and work harder in college. Also, I had friends who went to way more expensive and better colleges than I went to and they're not even working in their field anymore and they're not doing well. It's applying yourself then and afterwards that counts the most.
Paperkid
And people are like paper dolls,
Paper dolls and people, they're the very same shape

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:32 pm

Paperkid - that is some GREAT advice! I took about a year off from college back in '06, and I regretted it so much. Now I'm like 2 years behind schedule and wish I could just go back and do it all again. But the one thing I've learned that I wouldn't have learned otherwise is how much I VALUE my education. How much I LOVE learning. So I definitely back you up on that advice.

Psst, anyone who is interested - here's the ratemyprofessor entry for Dreamy PoliSci prof...apparently I'm not the only one who thinks he's Dreamy LOL

http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=210431

Paperkid
Lost but happy at sea

Postby Paperkid » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:01 pm

Going out in the work force and coming back DOES make a difference. I taught some college courses parttime for a while and my night class students were always way more willing to learn and easier to work with. Why? Because they were working for a living during the day and really wanted to get better jobs. My just-out-of-high-schoolers were stubborn and lazy compared to my night class students, because they haven't had to work for a living yet. You'll get back into it and do great, I bet, because you have the knowledge to know what to do now.
Paperkid
And people are like paper dolls,
Paper dolls and people, they're the very same shape

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:14 pm

Ugh, tell me about it! I take classes with a lot of kids fresh outta high school, and they are so RUDE! There's one guy who I have in two of my classes this semester and in BOTH classes he will just talk to his neighbor as if there was no class going on! He sits in the very back and I sit in the very front and I can STILL hear him! Luckily Dreamy Prof doesn't take any crap and he tells him to hush. But the other class, the Professor doesn't do anything so I end up not paying attention because I'm so focused on how mad that kid is making me.

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:48 pm

I went to very very competitive private colleges and I don't think there was a single bad professor. However, there were a few that were just STELLAR and vying to get into those classes was hard. The other thing is that my school was so small that you didn't have a choice of taking a class with one professor or another. However, if there was ever an issue of not getting into a class you would just show up to that class the first day and if there were others who didn't show they would get dropped and those of us who showed up could get enrolled. However, I know that at big schools this might not be the way they go.

I loved college. If I were independently wealthy I'd go back forever.

Kelly where do you go to school?

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:01 am

Ferris State University in Big Rapids, Mich :)

Don't get me wrong, I actually LOVE college and learning. I just get so frustrated when things don't go my way :P

And I have had bad professors. Not many, but there have been a few. The first time I took Chem 114, I had a really bad professor. 60% of the class was failing and that was GOOD for one of her classes. I obviously saw this class for what it was, a weeder class. And I didn't flunk it, I got a C-, and I needed a C for it to transfer. So I have to take it again.

Anyway, ever since this incident I have always checked ratemyprofessor.com and try for the best rated professors first. Obviously if I don't have a choice, I don't have a choice and I deal with it. But if I can choose I go for the most well liked :) I definitely didn't want to get ANOTHER bad chemistry prof this time around, which is why I'm glad I was able to shift my schedule around to get it to work.

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:10 am

I guess Chemestry would be one of those classes where a prof could ruin things for ya. But I always found that if I went to the prof's office hours and really hounded them for what they wanted and then did it that I'd get a good grade. That being said, this hounding and a subsequent excellent grade cause a MAJOR rumor around my college.

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:24 am

I always did the same thing - this Chemistry Prof was seriously SUPPOSED to get kids to fail. I'm actually pretty proud that I didn't!

My Honor's Prof (I did a brief stint in Honor's College) was really tough as well. It was the study of Ancient Greece. Anyway, I'd go to his office hours almost every day he had them (the Honor's Profs had their offices in the same building as the Honor's dorms so he was right down the hall from me...didn't help I had a huge crush on him - what is with me and Professors? I swear!) and ask exactly what he wanted on the next exam, or the next paper, and he'd tell me exactly what he wanted. And so I'd do it. I'd give him like 3 or 4 rough drafts for him to critique before the final due date, and he'd write, "Great job!" and "Just a few minor changes" with a few red marks here or there. Then when I'd turn it in and get it back I'd get like a C+ on it or something.

For someone with straight A's and B's in high school, C's were completely foreign to me lol

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:46 am

kellysouthpaw wrote:I always did the same thing - this Chemistry Prof was seriously SUPPOSED to get kids to fail. I'm actually pretty proud that I didn't!

My Honor's Prof (I did a brief stint in Honor's College) was really tough as well. It was the study of Ancient Greece. Anyway, I'd go to his office hours almost every day he had them (the Honor's Profs had their offices in the same building as the Honor's dorms so he was right down the hall from me...didn't help I had a huge crush on him - what is with me and Professors? I swear!) and ask exactly what he wanted on the next exam, or the next paper, and he'd tell me exactly what he wanted. And so I'd do it. I'd give him like 3 or 4 rough drafts for him to critique before the final due date, and he'd write, "Great job!" and "Just a few minor changes" with a few red marks here or there. Then when I'd turn it in and get it back I'd get like a C+ on it or something.

For someone with straight A's and B's in high school, C's were completely foreign to me lol

You'd only get a C+???/ THAT"S TOTAL BULLSHIT! I'd be so peed. That being said, I had HORRIBLE grades in high school. I hated high school. I graduated with a 2.9GPA but I'd gotten a perfect verbal score on the ACT and had taken all Advanced classes so I had that going for me. In College I got all A's and B's. Mostly A's. I had a WAY better GPA in college than in high school because I loved it.

I've always had big crushes on profs. I've also always had a thing for older men. I know that this sounds bizarre but I had two very very significant dreams in college that really changes entire classes for me. One professor I loved but was really intimidated by. It's was an acting professor and being intimidated was really holding me back from doing the best I could do. I had an incredibly lucid dream that he told me "Emily, you're my most favorite student that I've ever had in all my years of teaching." I woke up and felt like it had really happened. I kept thinking, "I'm John's favorite!" and it changed everything. I aced that class and to this day everyone in that class insisted that I was the best. (Interestingly enough I haven't acted since.)

The other professor I had a GINORMOUS crush on. Even before I had him in class I had a picture of him on my wall because I thought he was so hot. (This is the same one I mentioned above that I was later accused of sleeping with). Because I had such a huge crush on him I was TOTALLY intimidated by him. He was one of the hardest professors at my college and doing well in his class really meant having to hound his office, which I couldn't do because of said giant crush. So one night I had this really lucid dream that we were in a taxi together and he looked over at me and said, "You are so beautiful. You are really really beautiful." After that I had no problem approaching him. I would think, "He thinks I'm beautiful." I got the first A he'd given out in 5 years.

Amanda
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Amanda » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:13 am

Although he's not bad looking he has such a dry sense of humor that only he gets and has sort or a monotone voice.

:rolls: well well, Kelly... Not bad looking..a dry sense of humor, a monotone voice and black rimmed glasses, huh? It has JEMAINE written all over it, for crying out loud!!
..I def think he was meaning more than he said when he told you you'd fall for the JDog .. :yawinkle:
But if you did I'd hold you tight / Into every single night
And we'd fall asleep together / And we'd wake up in the sunlight
Well, maybe I'm a dreamer / But maybe one day you'll see / That dreams are...

Return to “Off topic rambles”