I hate college.

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
kellysouthpaw

Re: I hate college.

Postby kellysouthpaw » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:21 pm

:party: :whitey: :party: :whitey: :party: :whitey:

I FINISHED MY PAPER!!

Muchos thanks to John for major help this morning on the finishing touches :)

Thank goodness! 3128 words later...phew.

If anyone wants to read my paper (It's on "Power Amongst the P5" (P5=Permanent Five members of the UNSC - United States, China, Russia, United Kingdom, and France), first of all - it's 8 pages long so ... keep that in mind...but PM me and I'll figure out a way to get it to you :)

BUT YOU KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS!? I HAVE NOTHING* STANDING IN THE WAY BETWEEN ME AND FRIDAY!

*not really nothing - I have a small quiz in another class, two days of work and another full day of classes to attend. But all much smaller things in relation to this paper.

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:29 pm

Congrats on finishing your paper! :D

I'm mega jealous as I have three weeks left of writing before I can hand in my thesis :doh: And for some reason it does not seem to write itself while I surf around the web :roll:

You paper sounded interesting btw. I'd love to read it!
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:18 am

:woohoo: Congrats on finishing your paper, Kelly! I know that's a big load off.....the rest is cake. :) 3 more days!! (You'll be sitting in the Fox watching Eugene at this time in 3 days!!) :o
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:19 am

Aww thanks guys! It IS a huge load off - I don't think it's actually hit me yet that it's all finished. Probably because I'll get a strange urge Wednesday night/Thursday morning to tweak things here or there, but I'm fighting those urges :) Mostly it's because I want it to be the best paper it can be for John, to impress him :) (I'm so juvenile). But then I realize that with the way he grades, I'll get an A just the way it is - even if he doesn't particularly like it. :lol:

P.S. Finished that "small quiz", so now I just have to show up for work and school the rest of the week and I'm golden :)

Oh, and my sister signed me up to give blood Friday morning. That'll be a nice icebreaker to meet the guys, "What's the huge bruise on your arm for" "Oh I gave blood earlier..." I'm always paranoid about taking the bandages off because there have been times where I bleed for quite awhile after being done. I've bled through a bandage a time or two

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:54 am

Congrats on finishing up the semester, Kelly! :supz: These last few weeks are always a killer. If it's any consolation, they're hard on the professors, too. And the profs are just as susceptible to the "aren't we done YET??" bug.

biscuit wrote:I'm mega jealous as I have three weeks left of writing before I can hand in my thesis :doh: And for some reason it does not seem to write itself while I surf around the web :roll:

Isn't it interesting how that never seems to work, lol. What is your thesis about?

I just now finished one project, mostly anyway. That will free up some time for the other one, and the two tests I have to take. Hooray.

biscuit

Postby biscuit » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:44 am

mockingbird wrote:
biscuit wrote:I'm mega jealous as I have three weeks left of writing before I can hand in my thesis :doh: And for some reason it does not seem to write itself while I surf around the web :roll:

Isn't it interesting how that never seems to work, lol. What is your thesis about?

My thesis is a comparative case study of the didactic of live history interpretation. Basically I went to a museum in Yorkshire and one in Norway, dressed up as a Viking and tried to figure out how and what could be learned about history by doing so. It is supposed to be a history thesis but we'll see whether the sensors agree. It is slightly anthropologically angled.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:57 am

Hey Kelly- can you reschedule? I always crash early the night of giving blood....you don't really want to be weakened/tired staying up so late and then driving....and by that I mean I can't stay awake. Been like that over 20 yrs
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:30 pm

biscuit wrote:Basically I went to a museum in Yorkshire and one in Norway, dressed up as a Viking and tried to figure out how and what could be learned about history by doing so.

I'm so glad I asked! How long did you spend dressed as a Viking? Did you just go about your daily life, but as a Viking? I'm intrigued.

I saw a show on Discovery the other day where they had "modern day" Vikings and Samurais and they were going to see who would be more likely to win in a battle. I missed the end so I don't know how it turned out, but it wasn't looking good for the Samurai, mainly due to the Vikings' chain mail.

I agree with LauraK about donating blood, Kelly - you don't want to be feeling all anemic for the show. You need your strength!

biscuit

Postby biscuit » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:59 pm

mockingbird wrote:
biscuit wrote:Basically I went to a museum in Yorkshire and one in Norway, dressed up as a Viking and tried to figure out how and what could be learned about history by doing so.

I'm so glad I asked! How long did you spend dressed as a Viking? Did you just go about your daily life, but as a Viking? I'm intrigued.

I saw a show on Discovery the other day where they had "modern day" Vikings and Samurais and they were going to see who would be more likely to win in a battle. I missed the end so I don't know how it turned out, but it wasn't looking good for the Samurai, mainly due to the Vikings' chain mail.

I was a participant observer at programmes using the 'living history experience' to teach school children about the Viking age. The museums in question have their own Viking farm/Viking village with replica houses et cetera and the kids spend a day there, or sometimes several, just trying to live as the Vikings did. It was very entertaining although not quite historically accurate all the time. In the English programme the Viking settlement was attacked by the Saxons which was great fun! :D Everyone was in costume for the day and some of the children weren't quite sure what was real and what was pretend. A girl actually came up to me and asked me whether I had to stay at the farm all the time or if they let me go home on the weekends :lol:

The Vikings v the Samurais sounds cool:)

As a Norwegian I am amazed at how popular the Vikings are everywhere in the world. As part of my research I have been reading a lot about Viking re-enactment and I think it is sort of strange that they have Viking Societies even in New Zealand and Australia. On the other hand the people of Northern European descent obviously share our history, but still, when they are so far removed from the sites it seems peculiar.

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:58 pm

Nah it's no big deal - giving blood is pretty easy for me. Plus, I do it through my sister's high school, because if a certain number of people show up on that day to give blood - then they give a senior a scholarship for school - and I want my sister to be able to possibly get it since this is her senior year :)

I'll seriously be fine. I'm doing it FIRST FIRST thing in the morning, then when I get to the hotel I'm conkin out for a few hours to build up my strength for the night.

I'm not worried about it :)

I've also got 2 bottles of "5 Hour Energy" for if I need it at any point this weekend ;)

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:51 am

Last day ever with John tomorrow :sniffle: (Well, next Tuesday technically I'll see him but it'll be for the exam so there'll be no talking :( )

I'd be lying if I said this didn't make me sad.

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:03 am

I didn't do so well in high school. I tested really well but I went through a rebellious stage in my teens and ditched class almost every day, eventually dropping out. I'm going to a community college right now with plans to transfer to UC Santa Barbara or UC Berkeley to get my B.A. in Geography. After a 5 year absence from school, I realized 2 things: 1.) working in retail blows and 2.) how hard it was going to be to advance in the working world without a degree. That's when I decided to focus all my energy into college instead.

I have 2 more semesters to complete before I can transfer but I might stay a little longer to complete the requirements for the honors program. I have 3 weeks before finals and a ton of papers to write. And I'm already in summer mode (ie: I do not want to do anything school-related).

ratemyprofessors.com is a life saver! I've had good luck with getting the professors and classes that I want. I don't think I have ever had a bad professor. But I'm concerned that I have it too good here. The faculty are all scheduled office hours during the week and are accessible. I think that part of the reason that I'm doing so much better in college than high school is because I feel more connected now. I've had good relationships with most of my instructors, counselors, and the staff. If I actually get admitted to UC Berkeley, I think I'm in for a rude awakening.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:13 pm

kellysouthpaw wrote:Last day ever with John tomorrow :sniffle: (Well, next Tuesday technically I'll see him but it'll be for the exam so there'll be no talking :( )

I'd be lying if I said this didn't make me sad.

This is the perfect time to practice your seduction plan mwahahah mwahaha.

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:16 am

Mwahahahaha, indeed!

I guess TOMORROW is my last day ever with John - as Tuesday was the final and he hadn't gotten our papers graded yet and I really want to know how I did on it - seeing as I spent 10 days writing the stupid thing.

I'm excited to be done with classes for the semester, but sad to be seeing John for the last time!

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:56 am

Dude, it's not like you're being sentenced to death. He'll be around. So what are you going to do? What's the plan rawr!

Return to “Off topic rambles”