Food poisoning

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
kellysouthpaw

Food poisoning

Postby kellysouthpaw » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:54 am

So I woke up this morning with some pretty bad food poisoning. I ralphed quite a few times (sorry for that visual), but then felt much better. I felt better for a few hours but then realized that I was really hungry and thirsty. I drank some gatorade, some water, and had some saltines and applesauce. I felt fine for quite awhile afterwards, but now I'm starting to feel nauseated again.

Anyone have any home remedies to get this to go away?

TheFool
Half a shapely halibut

Re: Food poisoning

Postby TheFool » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:56 am

7up always mysteriously kept my recent meals inside during bouts of the flu or food poisoning
Talkin' about the thyroid

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:11 am

Oh Kelly, I'm SOOOO sorry. I'm the queen of food poisoning, I get it all the time. Luckily I haven't had it for the last couple of months. Recently a friend told me that colliodal silver is a MIRACLE for anything GI related but fotrunately I haven't had the occasion to try it yet. Other than that I highly reccommend liquids and then anything very very mild and starchy that you can handle. 7-Up, Ginger ale, alka- seltzer, anything bubbly and clear sometimes helps. Hold off on the Gatorade for a bit. It will help with the electrolytes but it's got a very high acid content that can upste your tummy. Mostly you've just got to ride it out and try to keep yourself as hydrated as possible. Feel better honey!

ardy
Redheads not warheads

Postby ardy » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:17 am

i had food poisoning around christmas. about 24 hours of sheer hell on earth. only thing that helped was room temperature Vernors....then after things settled down, all that sounded good and stayed down was little soup crackers. time is the only sure thing to heal but you HAVE TO STAY HYDRATED - i can't stress that enough. as hard as that is when your tummy's a mess, you have to keep fluids in. good luck, sweetie.
...Detroit - City of Tomorrow...

take this sinking boat and point it home..we've still got time...

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:11 am

Okay, this is the tried and true way to help settle an upset stomach from my daughter's pediatrician, and it has been successful for us:
After getting sick, don't put anything in your stomach for 20 minutes.
Start with a very small amount - a teaspoonful - of water.
If that stays down for 20 minutes, try a tablespoon.
Wait another twenty minutes, and if it stays down, increase water intake again, but VERY GRADUALLY (like 2 tablespoons). Always wait 20 minutes before introducing more.
After an hour and a half or so, if you've kept the water down, start with a small bite of a saltine cracker, along with more water.
Wait 20 minutes or so (try for 20, 15 at least), and increase the amount of saltine and water as tolerated, trying to keep as hydrated as possible.

If your stomach won't take it, go back to square one and start again. The trick is not to rush it, but to slowly reintroduce water and then food. The twenty minute wait lets the water or saltine get in your system, and then you'll know if your body will accept or reject it. Hopefully, it won't reject it! :wink: Hope you're feeling better.

Oh, the other thing that worked once when I had to do an Off-Broadway show and had a bad case of the heaves was Lomotil, which is actually a diarrhea medication (prescription needed), but it worked immediately, thankfully. Also, Dramamine (it's over-the-counter) works because it has dimenhydrate in it, but it makes you very drowsy. :zzz: That's all from Nurse Nancy. :wave:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

TheFool
Half a shapely halibut

Postby TheFool » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:00 am

Moderation can go stuff itself. Chug 7up.
Talkin' about the thyroid

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:36 am

Nancy Hillner wrote:
Lomotil, which is actually a diarrhea medication (prescription needed), but it worked immediately, thankfully.

Do they use this for nausea too? I think they gave it to me when I was pregnant.

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:22 pm

Thank you everyone! I woke up this morning with my stomach feeling pretty good, but I've got a splitting headache (probably from being so dehydrated). I'm going to go take some tylenol with the tiniest bit of water, let the tylenol set in, and then try some Vernor's (we don't have any 7up for some reason...) and saltines.

I will do what you said, Nancy, and do just a little bit every 20 mins :)

Here's hopin!

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:35 pm

I'm known amongst family & friends as Stomach of Lead. I've never had food poisoning or stomach flu. I've never ralphed in my life sans about 5 times all precipitated my too much alcohol consumption. I felt this was the appropriate time to rub that in. :lol: I love you kelly. :P
90% evil
ImageImage

Spumony5000
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Spumony5000 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:05 pm

Glad to hear you're feeling better Kelly!
Do you want to borrow my jumper Bowie?

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:45 pm

{{{{{Kelly}}}}}

Ugh....sorry you went through that. You've gotten lots of good advice here and I hope the Tylenol did its job and the headache's gone.

You didn't eat any pistachios lately, did you? I see where they're now added to the list of Nuts You Don't Want To Be Eating, since a lot of them are being recalled due to salmonella. :|
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:12 pm

SheWolf wrote:I'm known amongst family & friends as Stomach of Lead. I've never had food poisoning or stomach flu. I've never ralphed in my life sans about 5 times all precipitated my too much alcohol consumption. I felt this was the appropriate time to rub that in. :lol: I love you kelly. :P

Wow, I'm definitely jealous! hehe, and you know I love you too, SW :heart:

Thanks for the hugs Laura! The tylenol took most of the edge off, my head is still a bit achey though. My stomach is doing better. Been able to keep down saltines, toast and a banana thus far.

I'm hoping that the worst is over and I'm just recouping now...

:pray:

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:48 pm

Ok so I'm feeling about 99% again. Except NOW I find out that my computer is pretty badly infected with that conficter worm everyone's talking about. And I can't locate my XP Home disk to do a reinstall!

Ugh.

ardy
Redheads not warheads

Postby ardy » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:18 am

glad you're feeling better but sorry to hear about your computer.
how did you discover it was infected with that virus?
...Detroit - City of Tomorrow...

take this sinking boat and point it home..we've still got time...

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:48 am

I was talking to a friend of mine who is a computer science major about how my computer was acting funny lately...

Return to “Off topic rambles”