LOST *WARNING: Spoilers Inside!*

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
kellysouthpaw

Re: LOST *WARNING: Spoilers Inside!*

Postby kellysouthpaw » Mon May 24, 2010 6:11 am

I need a 2 hr special just for someone to explain to me then what the eff has been going on the past 6 seasons. Like EXACTLY going on.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon May 24, 2010 6:35 am

Tom thinks that the losties we all knew needed help....weren't ready to let go and move on. All of the other passengers who died in the crash were.

BUT......what about the ones killed during the last 6 seasons? Ana Lucia? Libby? Mr. Eko? Boone? Etc...Does that mean that somewhere along the way the felt they were ready, so it was ok for them to "die?"
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Mon May 24, 2010 6:37 am

I have no idea, my mind is SO scrambled right now...

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon May 24, 2010 6:52 am

Me too. :rolleyes:
ImageImage

kipples
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby kipples » Mon May 24, 2010 7:27 am

Well, the bit I'll be playing over and over in my head today is Jack saying "...I died too". And the bit when the two of them are hugging and crying, that just sent me reeling. :cry:

I definitely didn't get the full impact of the story as I was trying to get all my stuff together during the breaks. Even had a shower and missed the bit where FLocke stabs Jack. I'm assuming he did anyway.

I can remember loving a lot of it but nothing is coming back to me just yet. Off to the wee north now!

Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Postby Faith » Mon May 24, 2010 2:36 pm

I was reading the recap of the finale at televisionwithoutpity and this cracked me up:

Desmond descends into the glowy light, because if you were an all-powerful island, who would you accept in your nether-regions?

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Mon May 24, 2010 2:58 pm

Last night when I watched I just kind of went with the flow but the more I think about it I go WTF?

LauraK wrote:They'll probably say "But it wasn't purgatory cuz they made it themselves...they weren't forced to go there...they did it so they could 'move forward' and 'let go.'"
How can you make your own purgatory with other people that actually existed? Is it some kind of mass hallucination?

4everconchordsfan wrote:I thought that the light was 'the light' as in heaven, goodness & light.
Yes it was and that’s why I thought it was hokey.

Faith wrote:Christian Shepard. Never made the connection until now. I'm slow.
I didn’t either and I should have because I was concerned this whole thing would take a religiousy turn and I was right.

LauraK wrote:Sooooo......did they all actually die in the plane crash 6 years ago? And they invented the whole island scenario to deal with their deaths? There never was a Jacob=Good=White vs. Smokey=Evil=Black? It was all symbolic?
Yes that’s how I took it. Or not really that they invented it (though I know that’s what Christian said) but that it was a real purgatory/limbo, well that isn’t real either. See? It’s confusing.

LauraK wrote:Tom thinks that the losties we all knew needed help....weren't ready to let go and move on. All of the other passengers who died in the crash were.

BUT......what about the ones killed during the last 6 seasons? Ana Lucia? Libby? Mr. Eko? Boone? Etc...Does that mean that somewhere along the way the felt they were ready, so it was ok for them to "die?"
If the island was a purgatory I would think anyone who died on it moved on to heaven or wherever they are calling the place with the white light.

I think I would have prefered in the last minute to see Jack wake up in LA with the beard, scratch his sugalumps, say "man that was some whacked dream" and grab a beer from the fridge.

Nah I'm joking because the end scene of Jack's "death" was one of the best parts. I didn't see Kimmel yet but that scene alone would sort of lend credence to the theory about the whole story eminating from Jack.
90% evil
ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon May 24, 2010 4:19 pm

On Kimmel, Jimmy said that he thought it was all about Jack and his death. Matthew agreed. JK said something about how a second can go by but in your mind perhaps it's like 6 years. The show opened with Jack's eye opening and ended with it closing. So what he and Matthew were saying was that it all happened in Jack's mind as he lay dying. So that he could then move on.

Purgatory, as I understand, is a religious creation of a limbo-like place. You go there because of something you did...a higher power sends you there. In this case, Christian seems to say that they all chose to be there- or Jack needed the whole thing himself- to be able to let go. So I don't see it as having been purgatory.

I'm having trouble with it all being about Jack...but probably only because I'm going by these characters I've come to know and love. Going by the above theory- they never existed as we got to know them. Perhaps they were only there because they're the faces Jack remembered being on the plane. The names we knew them by might not have even been their names. Jack just brought them into his death scenario.

OR......

it was meant to be interpreted in a religiousy way and the ones like Michael who'd died w/o letting go were stuck on the island- which to me would indeed be limbo. The island wasn't real...it was the figurative limbo.

I think we're going to be talking about this show for a very long time. :)

It was incredibly moving, that's for sure.

I thought I had it figured out. I thought the island would indeed be destroyed and instead of it being the end of everything, a new timeline would come into being....one where they were all happy and with the one they were supposed to be with.....and Jack would be with Kate and have no son. I thought maybe that's why Locke told Jack "you don't have a son."

Tom and I both want to go back and see who exactly was inside that church. Was Richard there? Had he ever even been on the plane?

I'm still having trouble with this whole thing, as you can tell.... :P
ImageImage

rachel
Half a shapely halibut

Postby rachel » Mon May 24, 2010 9:00 pm

I've been reading up on it all day and there are so many theories bouncing about, this is how I see (want) it:

Everything that happened on the island happened "everything that has ever happened to you is real" - Christian.
So the flash sideways are where to look and man I had no idea where they were going with it. All season (including most of the last episode) I thought they were going to somehow end up on the Island and help Jack stop Smokey, so I REALLy wasn't expecting it to be purgatory.

Purgatory can be seen in many different ways: a place to have your fate decided/confront your demons or to wait for loved ones and move on to the afterlife together. I'm going to see it as the second view. Christian said that the "most important time of your life, was the time you spent with these people" so that's who everyone needed to move on with. They needed each other "to remember and to let go".
The flash sideways weren't fixed in time. "Everyone dies sometime, some of them before you (Charlie, Boone, Sayid) some long after you (Kate, Sawyer, etc)"

There were other things I was going to mention but I'm attempting revise, re-watch it and watch football so can't remember it all.

I can see why people are getting annoyed with the questions not being answered throughout the show but I started to realise that it wouldn't be possible to answer them whilst keeping the show flowing nicely. I remember earlier in season 6 they started to answer questions by saying
"oh so what's with x,y,z?"
"because I/someone/something did something"
That annoyed me, why not do that why back when the questions were asked?

I've been with Lost since the very beginning and even though it infuriated me at times and there were definately some Qs I was really hoping for answers but I still see it as one of the best shows and definately my favourite. The whole mystery of the last 6 years has been amazing and then going online and seeing theories after each episode made it even better.

The ending was good for me and better than someone waking up from a dream.

I want to watch Jimmy Kimmel but I worry that they'll say the way I see it is wrong. :(

Also: were the alternate endings shown anywhere?
@_raychul

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Mon May 24, 2010 9:04 pm

Rachel - the alternate endings were shown on Jimmy Kimmel. And they're spoof endings, so don't get your hopes up :?

rachel
Half a shapely halibut

Postby rachel » Mon May 24, 2010 9:10 pm

Ahh ok, I read they were proper endings, don't mind missing them then.
@_raychul

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Mon May 24, 2010 9:28 pm

A really fantastic write-up for those who haven't seen it yet:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20313460_20387946,00.html

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon May 24, 2010 9:51 pm

Ahhhh, after reading that and a few things at Lostpedia- I think I get it. Or at least- I get it for my own understanding. :)

What happened on the island happened. That was all real. At Jack's end, after he'd put the island back to rights he died. We saw the plane taking off.....Lapidus, Miles, Kate, Claire, and Sawyer all made it back safely and they lived beyond Jack's time and later died. When she and Jack met in the sideways, they were both ready to move on....to let go. So they regained their island memories, like the others had, and Kate was able to voice how much she'd missed Jack. Who knows how much longer she'd actually lived after leaving the island for good?

Hurley going into the church means that he died, right? And Ben not going in must mean he died as well, but wasn't ready to let go yet. So he was in purgatory, right? Had he been alive and running the island, he couldn't have been there, could he?

It's falling into place....:) with help from others. :thumb:
ImageImage

rachel
Half a shapely halibut

Postby rachel » Mon May 24, 2010 10:09 pm

LauraK wrote:Hurley going into the church means that he died, right? And Ben not going in must mean he died as well, but wasn't ready to let go yet. So he was in purgatory, right? Had he been alive and running the island, he couldn't have been there, could he?

I think Ben was dead but Locke saying he was forgiven and Hurley saying he did a good job with number 2 wasn't enough to let him move on, he still needs to get over killing his dad, daughter and other bad things he did on the island.

This may have been addressed in earlier episodes but I can't remember if Richard is still immortal? He got his first grey hair which made me think he wasn't anymore but then he wasn't in the church. Maybe when the cork was out he was mortal and so started to age (and somehow a grey hair came epically quick) but when the cork went back in he went back to being immortal.
Or maybe he just didn't feel connected enough with the others.
@_raychul

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Mon May 24, 2010 10:23 pm

:rolleyes: :doh: :doh: :rolleyes:
90% evil
ImageImage

Return to “Off topic rambles”