What do you want to be when you grow up?

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
Saucy Minx
New arrival

What do you want to be when you grow up?

Postby Saucy Minx » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:30 am

some of you may already consider yourself "grown up" but even so I'd love to hear everyone craziest career/life dreams

When I grow up I would like to be able to tour the world with my band have loads of crazy wild s*** happen, meet the greatest man on earth in the course of my touring, get married, settle down, have kids and live off the income from my massively well selling records and then go on to host my own travel tv show.

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Re: What do you want to be when you grow up?

Postby vmh » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:56 pm

I've had some of the same ones but mine are just fantasies.

I'd love to be in a band just to go on tour even though I have no musical ability. In my fantasy, I would be an amazing drummer. My bandmates would all get along splendidly and we wouldn't have to worry about label drama/legal matters/money/etc.

Also getting to host a new program on the Travel Channel would be a dream job!

I frequently come up with hundreds of ideas on possible business ventures based on what I think is missing in my town. Last year, I was eating pierogies and thought, "There is a serious lack of pierogies in the area. I should open a restaurant!" My sister and I came up with a complete concept for this that will never be more than that.

The one I'm most likely to go through with would be teaching in another country. I don't see myself teaching as a career but I'd like to take some time off before graduate school and live in a new place for awhile. Possibly Spain or Latin America.
Last edited by vmh on Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

WomanInThePark
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby WomanInThePark » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:50 pm

I have wanted to be a veterinarian, hunter, teacher, author, journalist, poet, social worker, chef, artist, architect, and actress of the years. Right now though I am considering becoming a Rabbi or a linguist... or both...
Beth, did you really need to fake your death?

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:12 pm

Since I was about 12 I have wanted to become Indiana Jones when I grow up. Now I am 32 and I'm still not ready to give up on that one, although as I grew older I realized that I do not have the kind of patience required to become an actual archaeologist, so instead I became a historian. I won't actually have my degree until June but after that I am so ready to start my life of adventure 8) Of course I never dreamed that I would be travelling the world with a husband and three kids but I am sure I can make it work somehow. And I think I'll also need a nemesis of some kind so if there are anyone out there up for that one please let me know :wink:

Failing this I'd love to write for a sitcom. I watch 30 rock and think, omg, those people are living the dream... or at least..those people are living plan B :lol:
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

Carol
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Carol » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:22 pm

When I was much, much younger, I wanted to live in New York and have either a hot dog cart business or a sidewalk newsstand business and live in the type of apartment building the guys lived in on the show--but a much nicer apartment! :yawinkle:

Then I decided it would be wonderful to be a top of the line photographer, traveling the world taking photos of all things of importance, be that people or landmarks or situations.

To date, I've never been to New York and I can't take a picture that's decent. :(

And even at this stage of my life, I still dream of writing a highly successful screenplay. :pray:

ardy
Redheads not warheads

Postby ardy » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:06 pm

i wanted to be a dental hygenist....until i realized i had to stick my hands in other people's mouths....

best advice: find something you love to do, then figure out a way to get paid for it :)
...Detroit - City of Tomorrow...

take this sinking boat and point it home..we've still got time...

Carol Brown
Giving the paper to the people

Postby Carol Brown » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:29 pm

When I think I've got my career choice in a fixed position, I watch House MD and feel like being head of the Diagnostic Medicine unit... :silence:
Would you like a little cereal ?

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:36 pm

Whn I was a kid I wanted to be Cyndi Lauper. When I was a wee bit older I wanted to be a famous actress turned US Senator. Then I just wanted to be a famous actress. Non of those things have really materialized but when I was in college I thought it would be awesome to become a rock and roll journalist and follow bands around. So I did become that. Then I decided that that didn't make enough money so I wanted to become a publicist (I'd done this on the side for many years) so I did that. I'm still figuring out how to make that one pay big bucks.

I found that I prefer the pen to the stage and I'd really love to write a book of my life stories. I think I would call it "Mostly True Stories". The thing is that I have yet to figure out a reason for people to be interested in MY stories above anyone else's. AND I don't want to embarrass my family with the scandalous stuff.

I know that this is TOTALLY nerdy but I think I would LOVE to be a research librarian. I LOVE doing research and I'm really really good at it. Unfortunately it would require a good deal more school for ultimately very little pay and I would have to have a 9 to 5 job where I go to the same place every day which isn't really suited to my lifestyle.

parttimemodelthat
New arrival

Postby parttimemodelthat » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:38 pm

I like this question!! I have a very independent/entrepreneurial career path so far. I have tried a lot of different jobs,
and so far I like it best when its my own company and/or I'm helping someone market their product or services..

At first career wise I was studying medical and socio-cultural anthropology at U of Toronto and I was going to go on and become a researcher/professor.. but then, upon graduating, I jumped ship and entered Toronto's live music scene full-time.

At one point after the MA I was studying opera singing full-time (with a private teacher), playing back-up vocals and keyboard in a Toronto pop band, and pursuing jazz singing and going to lots of open mics. I couldn't decide what genre of singing I liked best.

Meanwhile, I had to figure out a way to pay the bills, so I worked for the Ontario Ministry of Health answering their Infoline for awhile, but I was a disaster as an employee there.. missing at least 1 day a week and often 2. I found the environment at that government office really toxic. It was in the basement and I didn't get enough sunshine and the management was very uptight. I got laid off, thankfully.. I also worked as the produce manager at a health food store, which was better, but it was hard on my voice to go in and out of the cold storage freezer so not ideal for a singer.

Then I started teaching singing lessons to adult beginners from my home, which I liked a lot better, although the income wasn't as stable and I had to do all my own advertising.. I kept on doing that, but meanwhile a friend had the idea to start a French/English translation business with me. I had been to French immersion school as a child and was in France for a year of my undergrad so I'm fairly bilingual and I like translating (its a lot of what cultural anthropology is about, translating value and meaning between cultures). It took awhile, but eventually the translation business became my main source of income and it still is now.

When I moved to Halifax, I kept the translation biz and phased out the singing lessons from my income sources because you can't charge as much for music lessons out here and there's not as much demand (because there's so many great musicians here already teaching!).

A few years before moving to Halifax I found out about an energy healing method called EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques), and I had been doing EFT coaching sessions for people in Toronto and London Ontario, and now I've started doing that here in Halifax.

While I will never stop doing the translation business probably, I would LOVE to do more EFT sessions, because it is so incredibly effective (on depression/fears/phobias/physical ailments etc.. it is a lot like acupuncture, only without the needles, you just gently tap on meridian points with your fingertips). It would be really meaningful and lovely to have as my main job helping people feel better. I do the sessions on the phone/Skype and in person.

So, right now I'm working on my EFT website, I'm going to call my company "EFT Wellness", and I have written an e-book about "Eliminating Separation Anxiety in Dogs" (email me and I'll send you a free copy, I'm still collecting feedback about it its so new). Also if anyone is intrigued and wants a sample tapping session, PM me :)

Meanwhile, in addition to the above I still dream about doing music for money so I can devote more time to writing and performing. As Jemaine said once in an interview (rough paraphrasing), you mainly make art so that you can show it to your friends, but in order to have the budget for making the art you need to show it to the world at large.. :)

I have two different projects on the go right now.. one is my "Anna Danova" jokey songs project: myspace.com/parttimemodelthat ...while I really really enjoy writing these jokey songs, heavily inspired as you can see by the guys to whom this message board is dedicated, my initial forays to comedy open mics gives me the impression that it is quite difficult to be a woman in comedy, sigh... so I dunno how intensely I'm going to pursue it. Maybe I just havn't found the right venues yet.

Then there's my 'serious' pop/rock music.. I wrote a lot of new songs this winter, and my main goal in the summer is to record some decent sounding demos and then look into recording a full album or an EP in the fall. I want to assemble a band, and some of my musician friends in Toronto may help me out in which case I would move back to T-town, though Halifax has been lovely!

Still not sure what I want to be when I grow up though. I'll be 31 later this month, and I think a lot about having a family and which aspects of my entrepreneurial life I would slow the pace on in that case.

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:27 am

Clinical Lab Scientist is what I'm GOING to be when I'm finished with college.

If I could do ANYTHING I'd want to be a Forensic Pathologist or a Medical Examiner. That would be awesome.

And what would I want to do if I money wasn't an issue? Wait until my favorite band (or FOTC) toured the US and follow them to every show on the tour. THAT would be SO awesome.

LSully9
Getting lewd with the food

Postby LSully9 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:17 am

Oh I love this question!

When I was little,I loved animals and I wanted to be a veterinarian. Until someone asked what I would do when I had to put someone's dog to sleep. That didn't fly with me. So then I wanted to be a pro basketball player. But I was cut from my 8th grade team. Of course there was the actress and singer and all that good stuff, but I never seriously thought about doing that... Although recently I have often considered trying out for American Idol, I know I'd probably be one of those people that I like to laugh at.

Then my sophmore year in high school my dad got sent to physical therapy. And I loved it! I was also an avid sports follower, ice hockey mostly and the Flyers specificly. I thought, "I wanna be that guy that goes out on the ice to pick up Eric Lindross every time he gets hurt" (which was quite frequently at that time). So I did a little research and found that that person was an Athletic Trainer and it was very closely related to my love for physical therapy. So that's what I majored in at university. Whenever I tell other ATs that's how I got my start, they always laugh, but I'm like, "hey, that's me." So, while my pro-hockey dream never quite realized itself, I work at a high school that I love and also in a physical therapy clinic/fitness center that I also love. The best part for me is that I'm not stuck in an office all day (except in the summer when there's no school) and I get paid to sit outside when it's nice and watch whatever sport is going on that day.
Two struggling musicians, living in poverty and despair, selling their...instruments.

The Talking Stove
Giving the paper to the people

Postby The Talking Stove » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:02 pm

At the age of 29 I haven't given up hope of developing super powers :D

On a (only very slightly) more realistic note, I'd like to finish the novel that's taking me forever to put together and somehow con the world into paying money to read it...
Have you ever been told that you look like a llama?

Saucy Minx
New arrival

Postby Saucy Minx » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:19 pm

LSully9 wrote:When I was little,I loved animals and I wanted to be a veterinarian. Until someone asked what I would do when I had to put someone's dog to sleep..

lol! Literally the EXACT same thing happened to me as a child, my dad asked me that question and thus crushed those dreams so then I decided to be an animal photographer until my dad told me that I might have to wait up in the jungle or whatever for weeks and weeks with no flushing toilet and crazy big bugs just to get one good photo and I was like...dang....

Val2150
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Val2150 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:29 pm

I always wanted to be either a pediatrician or a veterinarian. Where I ended up is miles off target. Right now I would literally rather be doing ANYTHING other than what I do now. Trying for physician assistant school this fall....failing that I'm getting the eff out of here and hopefully going into clinical research. :D
"You do not choose sexy. Sexy chooses you." -mohumbai mania

deliriumtree
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby deliriumtree » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:28 am

When I was very little I wanted to be a dog. My mom had the worst time getting me to eat at the table, I ate under it day after day. If we went out, same thing! I enjoyed crawling around, rolling in the mud, barking and was flexible enough to scratch behind my ear with my foot. I'm told this was especially embarrassing when my family would have their big dinners with lots of extended relatives invited, especially if they had the misfortune to put me in a frilly dress.

The next thing I remember wanting to be was a dominatrix. I was in 3rd grade and I had an assignment to write about what I wanted to be when I grow up. Eureka! there it was on HBO the answer to my assignment. I watched a woman grind high heeled boots into a mans back while she made him lick the floor and I thought....THAT'S EASY!!! lol And these women were making a killing to boot and that kind of money buys a girl a lot of plastic unicorns! So I wrote my paper and read it in front of the class. Have I ever mentioned that I went to private religious schools as a kid? Hehe, that didn't go over well. :yawinkle:

Then I wanted to chase tornadoes for the news. I still think about that sometimes. I have an odd attraction to storms.

I almost ended up in the army because I have a hard time saying no to strange people. Horray for asthma is all I can say! lol

After that I wanted to be a professional artist, but I got turned off of that by one very thoughtless teacher. Every year I drew an owl for the graduation program (school mascot). My senior year I wanted to do something that was me. So they got a wingspread owl in a thunderstorm surrounded by drippy candles and above an aged book with the year a of graduation written in the pages. Lightening was reflected in the owls eyes. I worked an entire month on that and it meant a lot to me. To put something out there my final year that was totally me at the time (which was a gothy version of me that sort of resembled death from the sandman comics). I was told to leave it in the teachers inbox. My mom handed me the program (not knowing what the original had looked like) the next day after batches were printed up. The teacher was good with photoshop I guess. She got rid of everything but the owls head and took out the lightening reflected in the eyes, didn't even ask me, just did it. I get mad maybe once every 5 years. It's hard to make me angry, almost impossible. I instantly turned into a screaming banshee from hell before my mothers very eyes. I can't think of any time in my life I was so livid. My mom forbade me to speak to the teacher about it so I swore willard like revenge on the woman, even though in hindsight I had no army of rats at my beck and call. But, anger doesn't always make sense. I calmed down and simply boycotted graduation standing outside with a sign in a hooded cloak. I love to draw and paint still, but I think it's a better as a hobby than a career.

I also was writing a novel at 17. It's 600 pages and still doesn't have an ending. I miss writing. Not sure why I gave that up.

After that I was 21 and just wanted a job and to get away from Texas. My family is very cult like and doesn't believe in things like having friends, dating etc. I was never allowed to even look out the front window as a kid (bad people out there!), the one time I did have a friend when I was little I was not allowed to have him over. My grandmother said friends are just another way to let the devil into your home. So I got away (year long struggle but worth it!) and delivered pizzas and started to figure out what life outside one's room is like. Loved the job except for the car accidents that left me with neck, back and shoulder damage. So I went to something safer. Easter Bunny! That is the best job ever! No one has any idea who you are and you can have a lot of fun and creative expression in a bunny costume. If I could always be an easter bunny I would! You get the best hugs too!

After that I went to massage school thinking it would make me more comfortable with people. Nope, touching half nekkid people is still really uncomfortable for me lol. To help pay bills while at school I took a job at a dog kennel/doggie daycare. It was so hard at first cause technically I'm severely allergic to animals (which is why I wanted to be a dog so bad as a kid, couldn't have one), but if you pelt your senses with animals daily, eventually they cry uncle and give in. So I'm no longer allergic to animals! lol I became manager there after I finished massage school. I just couldn't leave. Doggie daycare fights began to wear on me as years went by, because the boss was getting a bit greedy and packing dogs in a room like sardines. 80 big dogs in a large room is just way too many dogs. I always saw myself as mother wolf and I couldn't stand for a single dog to get hurt. So I ended up doing even more physical damage to myself cause I would do anything it took to break up a fight and keep my pack safe. I tried dog training, but you have to talk to people for that. As an apprentice I could train the dogs, but I could not get the knack of explaining how I did it to people. Vet was out, same reason as everyone here. I looked for something I could do one on one, enter grooming. Grooming has been a hard career to stick with. I've worked at places that had me working 12 hour days with no lunch or breaks. I almost had to quit for good this past year because I ended up with nerve damage so bad my eyes lose focus and I fall if I turn my head wrong. I bounced back from that, thanks to some library books on stretching and good chiro care. I still fall now and then when doing yoga but that's pretty much the only time. Now I have a job at a salon where I'm part of team. I'm no longer putting st. bernards on a grooming table by myself. I have help for the first time and I now finally like my career. Although, still sometimes I think...what else do I want to do? Lately it's been pilot. I don't think you ever grow out of the question of what do I want to be when I grow up...
"Hey Ya'll, I'm destroying your city!" And the Bret and Jemaine angels looked on in approval.

Return to “Off topic rambles”