What do you want to be when you grow up?

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
LauraK
Boom King!

Re: What do you want to be when you grow up?

Postby LauraK » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:56 am

That was an awesome read, deliriumtree. :) You've done a lot in your life so far.

I calmed down and simply boycotted graduation standing outside with a sign in a hooded cloak.
Kind of like a reaper? I wish there was a pic...:D

I can relate to your storm-attraction. I LOVE storms, especially tornadoes. I absolutely plan to go on a storm chase in tornado alley one day- sooner if I win that elusive Lottery....
When others run inside, I'm running out with my camera.

If I could live my life over, I'd be a Forensic Pathologist right now, telling families and police how people in my morgue came to be there.
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

parttimemodelthat
New arrival

Postby parttimemodelthat » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:00 am

deliriumtree your post is amazing and lovely!

i am really impressed with everything you have lived in your life.

i'm allergic to bread, i love the idea of just eating bread until my body is like.. 'okay fine you win' ;)

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:05 am

Ooo, that'd be bad....
I'm allergic to cats and if I overdosed on em I think I'd be dead. The outer skin of my eyeball swells and looks like it has fluid in it and my throat starts closing up and my chest feels tight, especially with long-haired cats. Unless I've taken an Allegra....ahhhh. Then I'm ok.
ImageImage

parttimemodelthat
New arrival

Postby parttimemodelthat » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:30 am

..ya, its true! I would never actually do that. I do all this energy healing stuff (forgiving the past, releasing past traumas etc) and it seems to have helped with the food allergies to a small degree. for instance i can go to restaurants again without fainting if there are small amounts of preservatives and flavourings and things that I'm sensitive to in the sauces now (yay!), but I love my 'cave man' diet that I'm on (no foods that happened since the advent of agriculture, well, sort of.. I do eat veggies that have evolved a lot in form since then, but no dairy and wheat and sugar) and I'll likely stay on it for life.

Recently I've been thinking about going to do an MBA in Argentina!
Just to shake things up a bit. Its true the what do you want to be when you grow up thing just doesn't completely go away.

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:15 pm

The next thing I remember wanting to be was a dominatrix. I was in 3rd grade and I had an assignment to write about what I wanted to be when I grow up. Eureka! there it was on HBO the answer to my assignment. I watched a woman grind high heeled boots into a mans back while she made him lick the floor and I thought....THAT'S EASY!!! lol And these women were making a killing to boot and that kind of money buys a girl a lot of plastic unicorns! So I wrote my paper and read it in front of the class. Have I ever mentioned that I went to private religious schools as a kid? Hehe, that didn't go over well. :yawinkle:

This is one of the best things I've ever read! Perhaps even more so because I always went to a private religious school as a kid. I was pretty subversive just because I went dancing on Friday nights.

I've always wanted to be an artist when I grow up. That hasn't quite worked out yet. ;) I would settle for being an art restorer, but there's a lot of chemistry to get through before that happens. I'd also like to write the great American novel, but as I no longer live in America, nor do I bother to write, that may take a while.

Right now, I'd be happy to get some various craft ideas finished and up for sale on etsy. That's doable, if I'd just stop procrastinating.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

jm513
Boom Queen Baby

Postby jm513 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:41 pm

did anyone ever watch Gilmore Girls? That is the town I want to live in - almost - a little bigger, but still with that small town feel. And I love the New England area, so hopefully it will be somewhere up there. I want an old house that we have to restore - and I want to do as much of the works as possible myself (but there are things that I know better than to try). I LOVE old homes. I grew up in a house that was built as a hospital during the civil war that my parents completely restored, so I guess you can't ever get too far away from your childhood. But, I love them and can't wait to have the chance to do that. While restoring my house, I want to open a coffee shop/bar/gallery type space. Local artists can use it as a gallery and there will be open mic nights for poetry readings, live music, etc. It will have super comfy with couches and coffee tables for people to play games, and a great outside space for nice days. I'm in charge of the decorating and I'm usually a people person so will be working the front, my brother has already started taking classes on coffee making so he'll be in charge of new ideas for coffees and getting those going, my husband will do the books, and one of my best friends is a fabulous chef so he'll have the kitchen. My husband is in the Navy right now - probably for another 6 years. But, when he is out, the gov. has fabulous grants for people who stayed in the military for at least 20 years (another 6 will put my husband at 26 years) so I'm hoping we can land one of those to help start things.

It's simple I guess, but I can't imagine a better life.

I still sing in front of the mirror and pretend I'm a rock star. But I know it's something I'd ever actually do, so doesn't really count. The Travel Channel idea.........omg!! That one lady - the blond whose name I can't remember - her show???? My husband and I watch all the time and speculate on how exactly she got that gig - cause WOW!! Yeah, that would ROCK! But, I have two kids, so as awesome as it would be - it's not really something I could actually DO...

I played the cello for 18 years (I keep saying I'm going to start again - at some point I will) and wanted to do that until I went to music school. I made a bad choice of schools for the wrong reasons and lost my zeal :( But, my whole family really loves it when I play so I have every intention of starting that with more enthusiasm soon. I'd love to play in a community orchestra or chamber group for fun.

I worked in advertising as an interactive designer before I had my daughter and had to stop working. I really really loved that job. But, it was a job to me - not what I wanted to do forever...

........and DT - the dominatrix - I laughed so hard at that - AWESOME!!!!!
"I can't brain today - I haz teh dumb"

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:33 pm

The domanatrix one just made my day! So funny! I wish I was that cool in third grade. I remember the teacher asking the class that question in elementary school and most kids wanted to be teachers/doctors/pro athletes/etc. I think I just wanted to act and draw. But back then, I didn't even know what sex was. I thought it was just making out sans clothing.

Wanting to be a dog made me giggle too because I remember trying to imitate different animals when I was preschool age. I also tried to imitate whatever I saw on TV. I used to watch cartoons and Disney animated classics and try to reenact scenes from the movies. After watching The Little Mermaid, I would grab a fork from the kitchen to tangle my hair up and I'd call it a dinglehopper. I think I even went as Ariel one Halloween.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

deliriumtree
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby deliriumtree » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:49 am

I grew up in tornado alley, making the temptation even greater! The whole town fit in the public schools storm cellar, but who wants to be in a cellar with your entire town? You can not even imagine the body odor smell in that cellar, cause most of the town was farmers who had worked very hard all day and not showered. My mom would be yelling at me to get in the cellar, too cramped, too stinky. I was on the swingset, watching funnel clouds drop. You can swing really high in tornado weather. Probably not smart in hindsight but fun!

I wore the black hooded cloak a lot in high school. That was actually just normal outer wear for me at the time. I alternated between it and a cape. I also had a large walking stick with me half the time and feathers braided in my hair. Not sure what you would call that... sorceress sheik? lol Usually I didn't have the hood up though, that was special for the boycott.

The outer skin of your eyeball swells, Laura? I didn't even know that was possible. I had the chest tightness and was struggling to breathe for about two months, watery eyes, sinus problems... but not that ouch!

Dancing on friday nights! That would have been scandalous at my schools as well! lol (I went to 4 different private religious schools, all of them different denominations, so had to say schools plural lol) I didn't always go though, just until 7th grade, after that I went to a very small public school that may as well have been a religious school. There really was no difference. They even did religious plays for the parents periodically. Either way I was never the ideal student for them. lol
"Hey Ya'll, I'm destroying your city!" And the Bret and Jemaine angels looked on in approval.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:34 am

I was on the swingset, watching funnel clouds drop.

That.is.awesome. :o

I've had dreams like that but alas.....

I wore the black hooded cloak a lot in high school. That was actually just normal outer wear for me at the time. I alternated between it and a cape. I also had a large walking stick with me half the time and feathers braided in my hair. Not sure what you would call that... sorceress sheik? lol Usually I didn't have the hood up though, that was special for the boycott.

And I bet you didn't think you were cool at the time, huh? I'd love to hang out with you. :)

Did that teacher ever explain why she did what she did or apologize? Did you ever get to tell her how that made you feel?

The outer skin of your eyeball swells, Laura? I didn't even know that was possible.

Yep, I didn't know an eyeball could do that either til mine did it. My best friend noticed it.....she was all interested/freaked out at the same time. She's a lot like me. It looks like there's some yellowey fluid in the balloon of tissue....it's yukky but cool in an "I've never seen anything like that before!" I usually don't feel it til it's pointed out, but as long as I take an Allegra before going to her cat-infested house, I'm ok.
ImageImage

deliriumtree

Postby deliriumtree » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:06 am

OUCH! that swelly eye thing sounds even more painful now that you've explained it more! Glad allegra works for you! (does weird old man voice) Back in my day we didn't have these here new fancy allergy meds, you're eyes swelled, you struggled to breathe...and you liked it! lol Thank goodness for things like allergra, although I've always been a claritin girl since it came out...

I'd like to hang out with you too! And no, thinking that I'm cool has never occurred to me. I've always been very proud though to be a nerd, though. :rolleyes:

I never did find out for sure why she photoshopped my drawing. I have an idea of why though.... The town itself was a population of 200, and really I think they were counting pigs and cows in that number. Very close knit and none too open minded. I pretty much straight black every day, sometimes with a little plaid but mostly black, then add the cape. Then add me reading Stephen King and that I wrote horror stories for class that I read outloud. It was more than a small town could take. There were rumors that I had bodies buried under my house. People would seriously lock their doors as they drove by me when I would go for walks. lol So, it was just one more creepy as heck thing I did, probably in her mind. lol My mom worked at the school and she was just so afraid for me to rock the boat always thinking to do so would cost her a job. So I never got to talk to the teacher. I rocked the boat plenty other times though to make up for it. Like when I opted to go to detention rather than to the pep rally (I saw no reason for everyone to be that loud!) The principal wasn't talking to me, but to some other kids that were fussing at him about having to go to the pep rally for a different reason. I happened to overhear. :) And he did say that if you would rather sit in the library than show school spirit than that's what you should do.... So I went! Up until that point I hadn't known that was an option. He was a little shocked when I went in (I never talked in class or really got in normal trouble). He asked me why. I repeated what he had told the others and added... "and I'm here to learn and don't enjoy slacking off the way you do. So... if you'll excuse me I have a research report to work on." Which is what I did, cause I really am a nerd lol. He couldn't really do anything back cause I was already in detention. lol My mom still brings that up to this day. :lol:

I did kind of enjoy being the towns villain though... it was a strangely powerful feeling! lol Fear me oh, little town! Watch me gently put a bug in a jar and carefully take it outside. But, I'm doing it in a cape so it's scary! Wahahahaha!
"Hey Ya'll, I'm destroying your city!" And the Bret and Jemaine angels looked on in approval.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:33 am

Fear me oh, little town! Watch me gently put a bug in a jar and carefully take it outside. But, I'm doing it in a cape so it's scary! Wahahahaha!

That made me laugh out loud! :lol:

People who make assumptions and judgements based on looks alone are making a huge mistake. And missing out on making good friends.

My son doesn't like the pep rallies either, also too loud for his sensitive ears. He goes either to his couselor's office (if she's there) or the library, which he much prefers. :)
ImageImage

deliriumtree

Postby deliriumtree » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:24 am

I preferred it too. :D I was allowed to sit in the library for the rest of my school life. It's nice when schools get you can't take a lot of noise.

Getting back to topic...Is it even possible to play zoo tycoon and not want to work at a zoo? Does one need college for that? Every-time I play I can see myself feeding animals and cleaning elephant crap and being very happy.

VaiVedrai
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby VaiVedrai » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:51 am

I've thought recently about doing some work at a parrot rescue centre like the one Lori Rutledge runs in Washington State. (I read about her rescue centre in the book Of Parrots and People by Mira Tweti; it's reading I would recommend to any and all.)
If you don't know the answer, change the question.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:01 am

I'd love to bake for a living. I do all the birthday cakes for our family and I love decorating them. Just wouldn't know how/where to start, especially nowadays.

My aunt has an idea to open a doggie/people bakery where one side would be baked goods made by me and the other would be baked goods for dogs made by her, and you could bring in your dogs, have a snack and a coffee and kick back. When the economy's better she's seriously thinking of doing it.....I'd be along for the ride as long as she doesn't need startup $$ from me!
ImageImage

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:13 am

I think the dual bakery thing is a pretty neat idea. I'm not a dog owner but anything involving baked goods and coffee sounds good to me.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

Return to “Off topic rambles”