What do you want to be when you grow up?

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
deliriumtree
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Re: What do you want to be when you grow up?

Postby deliriumtree » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:40 am

OooooOOoohhh! I love the bakery idea! Yummy baked goods and you can bring your dog! I can't imagine anything better!
"Hey Ya'll, I'm destroying your city!" And the Bret and Jemaine angels looked on in approval.

Val2150
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Val2150 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:49 am

Laura, your bakery idea sounds awesome! I've always wanted a job where I could bring my doggie to work...that sounds perfect!

I've posted in this thread before but if I could do absolutely anything, I think I'd want to work in a zoo. The zoo where I grew up was over 100 years old and had SO much history associated with it...I used to volunteer in the education department there, teaching kids about the animals and it was so peaceful and pretty, and a lovely place to be in the summertime. I got pretty attached to the owls....they are really amazing animals, besides some of them being cute little fluffballs!

*Sigh* I really miss my hometown sometimes....
"You do not choose sexy. Sexy chooses you." -mohumbai mania

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:59 am

Thanks, guys. It was my aunt's idea for the doggy bakery but I jumped in and said why not serve humans and dogs?? She's an obedience trainer and mega dog lover, she has a Papillon and a King Charles who are both therapy dogs and they visit senior centers, schools and children's hospitals.
I think it could work but not at the moment in MI with the economy the way it is. In the future though, my fingers are crossed. :)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

deliriumtree

Postby deliriumtree » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:07 pm

Working at a zoo would mean relocation for me (sounds like for you as well, Val), but it is something I'd love to do too. I definitely understand about the owls. We have a wildlife rehabilitation center here that was raising money outside the health food store that's a bit of a drive for me, but the only place I can get vegetarian "ham" and cheese hotpockets lol. They had some animals for demo, a few snakes, a bunny and two owls...I forget what else. I hung around their booth for the longest time just for the owls. The science museum in the next town has an "animals of north carolina" area that has several owls as well. How cool that you got to volunteer there!

Laura, your aunt has excellent taste in dogs. Those are two of my favorite breeds to groom. :D Well, those and just about any kind of terrier. Terrier haircuts are just so much fun!
"Hey Ya'll, I'm destroying your city!" And the Bret and Jemaine angels looked on in approval.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:18 pm

I'll have to get you a couple of pics of them. Happy is the male Pappi ( :lol: ) and Glory the female cavalier. They're very sweet and smart, as I'm sure you know.
ImageImage

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:18 am

I used to work in the pet industry (I edited a trade magazine) and came across a couple of doggy bakeries. I noticed recently that the pet industry is doing surprisingly well, even during this economic crisis. I think the bakery could be an excellent idea.

I used to love going to the North Carolina Zoo in Asheboro. I kept meaning to go see the Australia section (they're working on having sections for each continent), but never did get around to going.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:23 pm

I'd love to do it when she's ready. She's helping her daughter make her house payments right now as my cousin's deadbeat ex took off to NC without a goodbye to his kids and she hasn't been getting any child support for almost a year. :|

She and my uncle left this morning for Utah on vacation. Have you ever watched Dog Town? They're going there and they'll be volunteering. You've never heard anyone so excited about a job before! :) They also get to park their camper in 1 of the 2 spots and stay on site. She is beyond thrilled.

I expect one day we might all be working for her in some form of MI Dog Town. :) Her Cavalier is a rescue. I need to get a pic, but here's Happy:
ImageImage

deliriumtree

Postby deliriumtree » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:23 pm

Awww! Happy is too darn cute!

I try to limit how much I watch Dogtown. They did a marathon one day and I was so ready to pack my crap and move. lol Especially when I saw they had a groomer!!! They must need another one right? lol That is too awesome that they're going there!

Sounds like it's not the right time... But, I have to agree with Indy on the petcare industry. From where I sit, people are maybe getting more short hair cuts (lasts longer) or they're going just a bit longer between appointments than normal. I'm still booked 3 weeks to a month out in advance, though. I get more no-shows than I used to, but I really can't complain. It does seem economic crisis or not, people are still for the most part spending on their pooches.

I LOVE the ashboro zoo! Sadly they are downsizing last I heard and rumor has it they will close off the Africa side completely. :cry: I hope they get some funding and that doesn't happen.

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:56 am

But what will happen to the rhinos?! Aww, that's really sad news about the zoo.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

deliriumtree

Postby deliriumtree » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:28 pm

I was wondering that too! They have a good deal of animals for the africa contient. Hopefully, it will just stay a rumor!

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:35 am

DT- YOU RULE! (I think this to myself all the time actually) I freaking LOVE that you boycotted your HS graduation. Also, I used to ditch class and go to the library all the time. I'd read and learn about this weird new thing called "E-mail" and work on school projects. I loved hiding in the library while every else was in Geometry.

Laura- I would SOOOOOOO SOOOOOO go to a dog/ human bakery. First off, I love going anywhere that I can take my dog. second, I love baked goods! I mean, who doesn't really. I can literally just imagine the joy of sitting with my dog eating a scone and drinking my tea with her next to me. This is really the primary reason I miss Colorado, you can take your dog everywhere. In Memphis people don't even get their dogs rabies' shots let alone take them to the bank or wherever.

The J. Dog
New arrival

Postby The J. Dog » Mon May 18, 2009 1:37 pm

I would love to be a comedy writer! Along the lines of Conchords, Chris Morris etc.
(Cue people saying "Ha! In your dreams", secretly in their brain box)
but yeah, I'd love to do that and I'm writing comedy in college at the Moment, and ruddy enjoying it! :)

DangerMouse
Consistently Mediocre

Postby DangerMouse » Thu May 21, 2009 10:36 pm

... an evil genius, with my own volcano lair. I am thinking along the lines of 'Out Man Flint' / 'In Like Flint' 8) That way I could set my own hours and never have to answer to anyone.

But if this is not possible I think I will remain a code monkey :yawinkle:
...if anyone needs me I will be in my office doing madlibs...

Neeke
Keeping it funky

Postby Neeke » Wed May 27, 2009 3:00 pm

Laura,

I love your bakery idea and Happy is beautiful. I have a pug and my husband and I have been talking about getting another dog. We have been talking about getting a Papillon! Happy looks just like the one I've been looking for (color). I'm wondering how well a pug and a papillon will get along. Any ideas?

BTW, I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do when I grow up :oops: Right now all I want to do travel the world. I just can't figure out how to get paid to do it. :lol:
~Oh, that's not fair...I'm really ticklish~

Enjoy when you can...Endure when you must

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Wed May 27, 2009 7:04 pm

Aw, pugs are adorable. :) Happy is a lover, he gets along with everyone he meets- dog or human. :) Not sure if that's a breed thing or just his disposition and training and amount of love he gets from my aunt and uncle! maybe a bit of all. :D
ImageImage

Return to “Off topic rambles”