How Does Your Garden Grow?

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
LauraK
Boom King!

How Does Your Garden Grow?

Postby LauraK » Mon May 25, 2009 6:16 pm

I'm not one with a deep-green thumb...mine's only mildly green. I usually plant tomatoes but they haven't been up to par the last 2 yrs. (1 yr was due to hubby spraying them by accident with wasp killer as he tried to get the wasps out of a pole near the pool..)

This year I'll be planting grape tomatoes as they did phenomenally well last year and they're delicious! I'm heading out to Home Depot to get something for out front that is hardy and likes full sun, as everything else I've put out there has bit the dust. Literally.

Here's my lilies of the valley from a week ago- I sooo love them and their beautiful scent:
(Yes, that's my kitchen where I've taped up Jemaine and I since I love to look at it....)

I'm sure everyone else will have many more wonderful garden tales and pictures, advice, hints and whatnot! Let's hear/see them! :) I hope it's as beautiful a day for you as it is here right now!

I'll try and get some pics of the yard later....but I'd love to see everyone's gardens, flowers, etc. :)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Val2150
Stop touching the monkeys

Re: How Does Your Garden Grow?

Postby Val2150 » Mon May 25, 2009 7:22 pm

Beautiful lillies, Laura! I've decided I want to try my hand at growing herbs. Anyone have suggestions for which conditions they grow best in?
"You do not choose sexy. Sexy chooses you." -mohumbai mania

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon May 25, 2009 8:48 pm

Ch-ch-ch-Chia! :lol:

No, no.....do NOT listen to me! I have some parsley that grows like crazy with no help at all....it's in part sun and does well. I'm sure someone far more knowledgable than I can help you. :)
ImageImage

RubyRed
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby RubyRed » Tue May 26, 2009 1:10 am

I'm super-excited to start my pepper garden this year. Being from the Southwest United States, I cook with a lot of peppers; red, green, yellow, jalapeno, habanero and anaheim chiles. I'm going to plant them in large containers because I find them easier to tend. Unfortunately, I tend to kill flowers. I envy anyone who can actually grow them.

M

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Tue May 26, 2009 3:18 am

We actually have 3 gardens. One in our backyard, one in my mom's backyard, and a plot at a community garden. So far we've had broccoli, radishes, spinach, lettuce, and a few peas. My husband is really into it.

Val, most herbs grow best in poor soil. Don't baby them. You really don't have to do much except water them if they look wilted, and use them a lot. If you don't cut them back they'll start to flower and lose their potency. (But they'll look pretty.) Actually sage flowers are good in salads.

SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby SuzyBatt » Tue May 26, 2009 3:34 am

Funny this thread should come up on the day I took off work to garden. I'm not much of a gardener so we're luck we bought a house that was already pretty well landscaped. Just like to stick a few annuals here and there to make it seem like I know what I'm doing.
Hubby dug up a patch this weekend to start a mini herb and veggie garden. Yum, can't wait to be eating my own tomatoes! (and am so jealous of you lucky folks who get to eat them all year round!)

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Tue May 26, 2009 8:15 pm

I love to garden, but I had surgery, so I'm going to pass except for the new super deluxe Topsy Turvey! I'm going to get the one with the stand, and will report back.

I usually grow tons of herbs, peppers, cukes and tomatoes. Lots of tomatoes.
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

dandy lyons
Consistently Mediocre

Postby dandy lyons » Tue May 26, 2009 8:29 pm

My garden is doing quite well this year: asparagus, rhubarb, lettuce, tomatoes, currants, blueberries, raspberries, zucchini, bush beans... not to mention all the flowers. I've had 2 feeds off the asparagus so far and have baked 2 rhubarb pies. I'm about to wash a bunch more and freeze it for later. :thumb:
Gar·funk·ling (verb) Funky cuddling with the candles twinkling.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Tue May 26, 2009 9:34 pm

This morning I planted 3- sweet 100 cherry tomatoes.....I sweet cherry tomato that's further along so it'll produce first, a Brandywine in a large pot and 2 flowers in front.....I already forgot what they are. I'll grab the tag thingy later and check... :P They're for full-sun and hardy so maybe- unlike the other things I've put out there- they'll live!

Good to hear about what you're growing, everyone!

Mohumbhai- what's a topsy-turvey? Is that the upside-down tomato pot?
ImageImage

Val2150
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Val2150 » Wed May 27, 2009 9:38 pm

Um, Laura.... is Jemaine licking his omnichord in your sig? :rolls: That's.....disturbing but oddly compelling. I can't look away! Help me...

Ahem... :topic: So, has anyone grown orchids/have any tips? They're my favorite flower, but I don't want to spend like $30 on one and then kill it because I don't know what I'm doing.
"You do not choose sexy. Sexy chooses you." -mohumbai mania

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Wed May 27, 2009 9:45 pm

Yis, he sure is.....and doing quite a fine job of it too, don't you think? :love:

I'm the wrong person to help with fragile expensive flowers.....here's a page that has good tips and links that might help: http://www.firstrays.com/beginner.htm
ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sun May 31, 2009 11:29 pm

Ok, here are my tomato plants. This one is a Sweet Cherry 100 and I got a bigger one so it'd produce first.

Theis next one is from a 4-pack of sweet cherry that are small, so should produce a bit later and I planted them along the back fence that gets full sun. Last yr's tomatoes were ridiculous. I had a ton.

This one I put in a crappy spot deliberately. One- cuz I'm going to have little tomatoes coming out my ears and two- cuz I'm curious to see how they'll grow here. The house next to us is vacant and that fenceline doesn't get as much sun.

This is my Brandywine. I usually buy 3 and plant them a foot or 2 apart but the last couple of years I just haven't gotten the good yields I used to. Tom (over)sprayed a wasps nest 2 yrs ago and even tho I put in manure and Miracle Grow soil...it's just not been the same. So this year I'm giving that space a rest and planting the brandywine in a pot. I have no expectations.....if I get 2 tomatoes I'll be happy.

Here's Emmie running like crazy...you can see the neighbor's dog, Bella, watching. She's a bull mastiff puppy who's going to be huge. She's very sweet. :) The pool is ready, I just need a run of a few nice, rain-free days to uncover and add water. Apparently, I can call the city before I add water and give them my meter # and then when I'm done- and we won't get charged for the sewage on that water. Yay. Our water bills are crazy-high. :roll:

Part of the backyard: I recently sprayed weed and feed and you can see where creeping chrlie and weeds have died off.....next will be to fill in those bare spots with good grass- I hope. You can see it's been windy...I can't keep thos chair cushions on unless someone's butt is in them.
ImageImage

ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:09 am

Laura, I love your garden -and the cool clapboard houses.

I have a terrible garden - very little sun, and a dying lawn.

Does anyone have any suggestions for plants that don't need or like too much sun?
It's a psychological analogy

Ratashak
Keeping it funky

Postby Ratashak » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:13 pm

Hi, ZWP. Suggestions for plants that don't need or like too much sun.... It also depends on the soil, your growing zone and if you want annual or perennials; however, here are some suggestions of things I've found to be easy to grow in areas with less than 4 hours of full sun a day:

annuals: impatiens, coleus
perennials: astilbe, bleeding heart, lily of the valley

ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:28 pm

Ratashak wrote:Hi, ZWP. Suggestions for plants that don't need or like too much sun.... It also depends on the soil, your growing zone and if you want annual or perennials; however, here are some suggestions of things I've found to be easy to grow in areas with less than 4 hours of full sun a day:

annuals: impatiens, coleus
perennials: astilbe, bleeding heart, lily of the valley

Thanks for the advice! :D
It's a psychological analogy

Return to “Off topic rambles”