How Does Your Garden Grow?

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
jillbean
Registered Rhymnecologist

Re: How Does Your Garden Grow?

Postby jillbean » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:55 am

LauraK wrote:Weather hasn't been as hot as it should be but they're doing really well.

Here's the maters: Brandywine in pot, Lg sweet cherry bush (already has some little greenies!), and 1 of the 3 sm sweet cherry bushes:

Confession of an amateur gardener; I had no clue how quickly tomato plants grew and how many freakin' tomatoes they would produce until I planted six of them one summer. D'oh! I was all about fresh salsa and fried green tomatoes that summer! I also got a recipe for a tomato pie that initially sounded iffy but tasted delicious. So, if you find yourself with a surplus of tomatoes, give it a try:

* 4 tomatoes, peeled and sliced
* 1/2 to 1 (depending on preference) vidalia onion, thinly sliced
* 1 (9-inch) prebaked deep dish pie shell
* 1 cup grated mozzarella
* 1 cup grated cheddar
* 1 cup mayonnaise
* Salt and pepper

Heat oven to 350

I have seen that some folks like to use basil leaves, green onion, no onion, bacon, etc. So long as the basics of tomato, cheese, mayonnaise and pie crust are there, you can get creative many ways!

Mix together the cheeses and mayonnaise.

Put a layer of tomatoes in the crust, then some onions (and/or other preferred ingredients) and continue to layer until you are near the top of the crust. Put the cheese mixture on top of this and then the pie crust top with slits in it (this is something I have not done, I am lazy and just leave the cheese mix as the top). Bake for 30-45 minutes; start checking at 30 to see how hot and bubbly and wonderful the cheese is looking. If you put pie crust on top and it is browning too quickly, cover with aluminum foil. Let cool slightly and then cut and serve warm.

If it grosses you out, I am not at all offended. Baked mayonnaise was not a big selling point for me when I first heard it!

BTW, I totally want to steal that mastiff puppy.

And everyone's gardens look great, though Sherry wins for most scenic view from the house-wow!

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:11 pm

That actually does sound very good, jill! :)

I'm going to have tons of the little ones but it's ok, I love em! The brandywine appears to be growing better than when I have it in the ground.....we'll see how fruitful it is though.

:)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:35 am

Well here it is mid-July and our summer has felt more like spring. The maters should be further along but here's what I have now:

The potted brandywine. It has little tomatoes all over but there should be more and bigger by now:

The sweet cherry that I bought bigger to produce first:

I've only picked about 10 reds so far but there are a ton of greenies and some orange right now. Here's a closer view of one spot:

Now these last 2 are making me angry. They were in a 4-pack that had 3 of the name-tags in them and they said it was a sweet cherry. These tomatoes are not round and they're huge! (To me, who wanted little...)

Here's my 2 baskets. The one on the right is gearing up to bloom again:

So, how are things doing in your gardens/yards/balconies? :)
ImageImage

SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby SuzyBatt » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:47 am

I took some pics in the backyard last week and I thought I'd post them here rather than in I Turn on My Camera, just to get this thread started again.

I didn't bother with the veggie garden because there isn't much going on there so far. Although apparently we have a couple of strawberries that appeared on our little plants this weekend. I was also enjoying taking pictures of the honey bees that were buzzing around. It's nice to see so many of them around again this summer. :)

Roses

Peonies

Clamatis
sooo many buds :D ...

Pink bush of some sort

Japanese lilac
You can see a bee in the bottom right corner of this last one

Yard
You can see the small veggie garden on the left. Hubby bought some red thingies that you're supposed to put at the base of your tomato plants and it should help them rippen faster. :dunno: We'll see if it works.
In a few weeks there will be lilies on the right, and black-eyed susans in the middle there, with hopefully some daisies and echinaceas. There's some lavendar that's about to flower in there too. Oh, and lots and lots of weeds!!! :roll:

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:55 am

Ooooo, your yard is beautiful, Suzy! That clematis is going to be covered in blooms soon, can't wait to see those pics! Do you cut it down in fall? My Mom had a white one and she was never sure if you had to cut it way short or leave it alone.

My baskets aren't as nice as last years'..... and like your veggies, nothing much is happening with the tomatoes yet. I've got 3 sweet cherry 100's at the fenceline at the back of the yard, 3 Brandywine and 1 celebrity in the ground, and 1 other heirloom in my big pot. Can't remember the name....
the celebrity has a couple of tiny tomatoes but the rest are just yellow blooms.
ImageImage

eejm
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby eejm » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:49 pm

Beautiful garden, Suzy! I'm a sucker for peonies and yours look lovely. I'll bet they smell wonderful.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:01 pm

Peonies are my faves too. It makes me happy to see them there. I seemed to have been in Amsterdam when ours bloomed here. When I returned they were already gone. :?
90% evil
ImageImage

SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby SuzyBatt » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:46 am

Thanks guys, I like my yard too! We kind of lucked out because the previous owners here had it landscaped. They put in a bunch of easy to maintain perennials because they spent all their free time at their cottage. So I lucked out having a garden that I pretty much just have to keep looking neat and not too weedy. I'm slowly making a few changes, adding things, removing. There are just way to many hostas for my liking. They are out of control!
The veggie garden was an addition hubby put in last summer. It's very much a work in progress.

The clamatis started to bloom today.
Laura, as you'll see we have two clamatis. Last fall, for whatever reason, we cut one completely from the bottom and the other we trimmed. You'll see below that the left one has much more foliage but far fewer buds - that's the one we cut. The one we merely trimmed has fewer leaves but it brimming with flowers. :D

Here are a few pots with lettuce, strawberries and the parsley that got chewed on by the local marmotte.

And our little patch of herbs, which have all grown back from last year.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:07 am

So trimming rather than cutting back is better....:) Thanks!

My aunt has...I think it's a white clematis on a trellis over the front door and a big purple one on an arch trellis in the back. I'd probably kill them.

I should take pics in her yard and claim it's mine...:P It's so gorgeous! When she starts telling us about all of the flowers and plants my eyes kind of glaze over and I hear "mwamwa...mwamwa...." :lol:

My tomatoes have taken off! I can't believe how mcuh they've grown. The opressive humidity makes tomatoes very happy...my supposed Celebrity has little tomatoes already. I think they're cherries. :-/
Someone stuck the wrong tag in that plant. Oh well.
ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:58 am

Ok, just realized I should have put my yard pics here but the edit function's gone.

Oh well.

Here they are again.... :)

Tomatoes:

Day Lilies:

I have no idea what these are....someone here will know. My Mom said "they look like tiny orchids!" So that's what they are to me, now. :)

Hanging basket...I have another but i dead-headed the blooms and it looks kind of sad right now...

I have 3 sweet cherry 100's at the back of the yard but they aren't worth pics yet.....I'll wait til they're more lush. :)
ImageImage

Return to “Off topic rambles”