How Does Your Garden Grow?

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
SheWolf
Boom King!

Re: How Does Your Garden Grow?

Postby SheWolf » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:15 pm

Living in a 2nd floor apt isn't conducive to gardening but I enjoy planting flowers in pots on the deck each spring. Snapdragons seem to do particularly well for me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shebearess ... il/?page=3
90% evil
ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:14 pm

SW- your flowers are gorgeous. They obviously have the right environment on your balcony. Are snapdragons annuals?

Zebra, Hostas don't need loads of sun...it's why I killed all on mine out front. They come back every year a bit fuller, they bloom and they pretty much take car of themselves if they're in a spot they like.
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:13 pm

I love hostas.

I don't think snapdragons are annuals but I'm not sure coz they do pop up again in the soil the next year so maybe they are but left to their own devices they don't get very big so I rip 'em out and start anew. They are the only flower I've found to be consistently spectacular year after year so they are a deck staple. I love the vibrant colors.

Also the coleus I believe is easy to grow and does well wherever but it's always amazing to me that they go from being about 2" when I plant them to this :o

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shebearess ... 106567494/
90% evil
ImageImage

Ratashak
Keeping it funky

Postby Ratashak » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:14 am

SheWolf--your flowers are lovely! Do you give them fertilizer often? I'm impressed--the containers you are growing look very professional...nicely done. As far as snapdragons--if they come back I'm guessing they self seed? They are annuals in Michigan, but I've had some come back in a nice sheltered warm microclimate on the south side of my house here--they look pretty rangy though. I am a survival of the fittest kind of gardener--which is why I needed to move out of New Mexico!

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:00 pm

Thanks. I don't fertilize & the planters are just standard issue stuff from the local garden center. I use Miracle Grow Moisture Control soil - I've been told it's the only way to go.
90% evil
ImageImage

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:18 pm

SheWolf, want to come to Utrecht and plant some flowers in pots for me? Yours all look so lovely! I'm hopeless with plants, although I'm currently trying to grow some gladiolas and we're trying to keep alive a potted apple tree left behind by the previous owners. The apples are growing and the gladiolas have green stalks rising up, but much of that has been pure luck so far.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:32 pm

Great idea for a thread. Our garden is a work in progress. I spent a day a few weeks back chopping down the hedge that had been growing in the middle of it since the year dot. We are now in the process of pulling up the remains so as to have one large lawned area with lots of shrubs around the outside. Also we have a side walled garden area that has a lawn and lots of fig trees, a cherry tree and a lot more. However, the chooks are living in that bit most of the time while we work on their bit, the old pig sheds and the scrub patch.

Pics should explain more :lol: Son doing his bit in the garden also in some of these :lol:

Also a few from last year, the area we live in, taken from up the hill

From out front of our house

View from our bedroom window

:)

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:01 am

You live in a beautiful area with gorgeous views......are those sheep in that last pic? I've lost perspective like a picture by Escher....maybe they're tiny things....? Just can't tell....

Your son is a cutie-pie. :)
ImageImage

SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby SuzyBatt » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:45 am

Great pictures everyone, but :thud: Sherry, you're views are breathtaking! Ok, I know I'm supposed to be looking at your garden, but your whole setting is like one of those places I drool over when watching Relocation Relocation! Wow, must be quite the way of life.

I was thinking of posting some pics of my own suburban garden, but it so pales in comparison. Still, the hubby got some cool tomato spirals I thought you guys might like to check out. And the impatiens I planted a few weeks back are coming along nicely. All this despite the cool and rain we've been having. Will try to get out with the camera on the weekend, weather permitting.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:17 pm

Sherry wrote:Image:)
Has the lil' 'un got his hand stuck in a jam jar? Best keep chairs away from his hid.
90% evil
ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:50 pm

Hehe...I bet he's feeding the chickens....:)
ImageImage

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:37 pm

LauraK wrote:Hehe...I bet he's feeding the chickens....:)

Yup he had some food for them in there. Adores the chooks and can say the names of two of them, Dixie and Stella :D

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:29 pm

Just goes to show I know nothing about the country. Looks lovely though.
90% evil
ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:02 am

I hope we get some sun soon....we've had rain and humidity, so the tomatoes are happy. But me and the pool are sad......sun and heat, please!
ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:01 am

Weather hasn't been as hot as it should be but they're doing really well.

Here's the maters: Brandywine in pot, Lg sweet cherry bush (already has some little greenies!), and 1 of the 3 sm sweet cherry bushes:
ImageImage

Return to “Off topic rambles”