Comedians!

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
onewithdog
Half a shapely halibut

Comedians!

Postby onewithdog » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:40 pm

Hello fans of a "A musical comedy act who, in their own words are New Zealand's 4th most popular guitar-based digi-bongo acapella-rap-funk-comedy folk duo."

Lets talk comedy in general shall we.

Everyone needs to laugh atleast once a day, right? RIGHT!

tee he he
This is really just a thread to display what will be a kick ass week for me

November 23rd @ Carolines in NYC
Jimmmmmmy Norton
eatabullet.com
Seen on :
Tuff Crown with Collen Quin
The Tonight Show
Last Comic Standing (season 1)
HBO One Night Stand
Currently filming Lucky Loui (a sitcom for HBO)
Every morning on Opie and Anthony XM 202

November 25th @ Rascals in West Nyack
Richhhhhhhhh Vos
richvos.com
Seen on:
Last Comic Standing
Writer for last years Emmys
Some other things nobody wants to believe
Regularly being thrown under a bus on O&A

November 27 @ Rascals in New Jeresy
Billlllllly Burr
billburr.com

Law and Order: Criminal Intent
Tough Crowd with Colin Quinn
Townies
Two Guys and a Girl

Movie Appearances:
Perfect Fit
Passionatta
Running for 3rd mic while little jimmy cruises trannies on the west coast, on you guessed it, the damn O&A show!

What a week!
Cant wait!

Kate
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Kate » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:17 pm

This is one of my favorite subjects!

I am a huge Eddie Izzard fan. I just love him.

I also love George Carlin, although as he's gotten older, he's gotten a bit mean-spirited. His latest HBO Special, "Life is Worth Losing" was about 80% about suicide and death, and the rest was just mean. I didn't laugh, or even giggle once, but sort of just winced the entire time. I am concerned for his mental health.

I love Jon Stewart and the "correspondents" on The Daily Show. Most nights I just laugh until my sides hurt. Their politics are right on, as well. Brilliant! Bill Maher falls into this category.

Sinbad kills me. A lot of his humor is Afro-centric, but I find it universal. Again, I laugh until my sides hurt. The stuff he does about his parents is a scream. Chris Rock, DL Hughley, and Jamie Foxx have similar effects on me, but each has his own style.

I am not a huge fan of Comedy Club comedy these days. The humor has gotten so mysogynistic and crude. And, most times it seems more like a contest to see how many times you can use the word "f*ck" in a sentence, than comedy.

Most "Squirm" Comedy makes me a bit uncomfortable, but I have to say Ricky Gervais can make me squirm and laugh out loud at the same time.

As for the female comics, I have a high respect for most, because I feel they know what it's like to be a woman in this society and still have the audacity and spirit it takes to want to make people laugh. I only find a few purely offensive, and it has again to do with the meanness factor. Roseanne is someone I never found funny for that reason. If I want crass and mean, I can turn on The Comedy Channel most nights of the week and get my fill.

I was also unpleasantly surprised by the recent Bonnie McFarlane appearance on HBO. It's hard to watch a woman do mysogynistic humor. It was as if she was trying to "out-filth" the male comics. And, it's too bad, because I remember her "appearances" on "Dr. Katz" with fondness.

This one will probably be seen as controversial, because most people either love or hate Rosie O'Donnell, with no middle-of-the-road opinion. I happen to love her. Same for Ellen De Generes.

Another favorite is Jeanene Garafolo. Great political humor with just a hint of self-deprication. And she's never mysogynist.

My all-time favorite is Whoopi Goldberg. She is a goddess!

I love laughing, and adore those that make me laugh. They don't realize what a gift it is that they give to us. It is said that "Laughter is the best medicine." And, I believe that's true. It may be what will best help cure what's ailing the world. And, on a smaller scale, it is what helps most of us get through some really lousy days. Gawdbless comedians and comedy. Life would be pretty bleak without them!

I would like to end with one last sentiment, because what I just said goes double for these guys:

:clap: :thumb: Flight of the Conchords Rule! :thumb: :clap:

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:42 pm

Eddie Izzard is brilliant. I've lost count of how many times I've watched the various DVDs of his shows. I don't think a day goes by that we don't quote him at some point. Oddly enough, we often quote him while watching the news. The boyfriend and I recently saw an ad for a history drama about Hannibal crossing the Alps and we were both almost on the floor laughing, without either of us having to say a word. We had tears streaming down our face, because we both thinking of elephants on skis.

Jon Stewart and The Daily Show group are also favorites. Particularly during the last election, it was a matter of if we don't laugh, we'll cry. I really enjoy the mix of serious discussion and observation, with straight-up silliness.

Chris Rock, DL Hughley and Lewis Black are also favorites, but on occassion they can go into the squirm area for me.

I definitely prefer observational or self-deprecating humor to "mean" humor, and gender-difference jokes usually just annoy me now.

Of course, Monty Python is a huge favorite. I grew up watching them, thanks to my dad who would let me stay up late to watch them on PBS with him, and I think my sense of humor has been influenced by them, as a result. Intelligent, yet silly, is how I think of them. Not surprisingly, that's how I think of Flight of the Conchords, as well.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

onewithdog
Half a shapely halibut

Postby onewithdog » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:47 pm

:shock:

You girls!!

Sorry, it seems myself and the two of you have very different opinions on what funny is. This is not to say Lizard and Carlin arent funny, just not my bag.

Im into the cringe humor scene. Allways have been always will be.

Carlins show the other night was more of a "social commentatary" than comedy.
I think linking to other forums is cool, this is what "my people" had to say about Carlins Special

Other notable fav's:
Lewis Black
Andrew "Dice" Clay (yup, i went there)
Stephen Lynch (i hope we can all agree on that one)

As for women.............. none.
Im sorry, ive been groomed to dislike women comics. This is what my boys tell me to do! Im like a damn slave. She is married to Rich Vos. I find her delivery sly, which i kind of enjoy.

*walks away with tail between legs*

Kate

Postby Kate » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:04 pm

onewithdog wrote::shock:

You girls!!

Sorry, it seems myself and the two of you have very different opinions on what funny is. This is not to say Lizard and Carlin arent funny, just not my bag.

Im into the cringe humor scene. Allways have been always will be.

Carlins show the other night was more of a "social commentatary" than comedy.
I think linking to other forums is cool, this is what "my people" had to say about Carlins Special

Other notable fav's:
Lewis Black
Andrew "Dice" Clay (yup, i went there)
Stephen Lynch (i hope we can all agree on that one)

As for women.............. none.
Im sorry, ive been groomed to dislike women comics. This is what my boys tell me to do! Im like a damn slave. She is married to Rich Vos. I find her delivery sly, which i kind of enjoy.

*walks away with tail between legs*

I do like Lewis Black. I forgot to include him. He's pretty funny.

Dice is just disgusting, I'm sorry, one -- he just is. Yuck. He's practically a Neanderthal. Cringe humor is one thing, but puke humor is another entirely. He disgusts me. :sick:

I think the differences in our tastes in humor is gender-related. Don't you? :stick: Women just find different things funny. :shock:

But, there is a bright side, one! We all agree that FOTC Rocks! See... where true talent is concerned, even those of different minds can agree. :thumb:

We can all agree on the Conchords and agree to disagree about the rest. :D

onewithdog
Half a shapely halibut

Postby onewithdog » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:15 pm

Face Down Ass Up (Thats the way we like to ****)

You found that disgusting? :oops:
Sorry. Little white boy from New York. I love the stuff.

I know a few girls that really enjoy Norton, and he could be worse then Dice, Dice was his mentor.

But yes, we can all agree FotC is nothing short but amazing.

We have heard Stephen Lynch right?
Let me find some

http://www.whatarerecords.com/vanilla/
It loads when you click it, its on the racist/sexiest side. But its all in good fun?

Kate

Postby Kate » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:20 pm

onewithdog wrote:Face Down Ass Up (Thats the way we like to ****)

I know a few girls that really enjoy Norton, and he could be worse then Dice, Dice was his mentor.

Let me find some

It loads when you click it, its on the racist/sexiest side. But its all in good fun?

one, I do not find sexist OR racist funny. Please understand that. We just see what's funny differently. :shock:

That's the bottom line.

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:42 pm

Kate wrote:
onewithdog wrote:Face Down Ass Up (Thats the way we like to ****)

Let me find some

one, I do not find sexist OR racist funny. Please understand that. We just see what's funny differently. :shock:

That's the bottom line.

I'm in agreement with Kate on this one. Anyone can swear a blue streak, but I don't find it funny. What appeals to me is a well turned phrase, a unique spin, etc. I prefer clever to crass. That and a nice boom. :wink:
4 out of 3 people have difficulty with fractions.

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:54 pm

No, racist/sexist definitely doesn't go over well with me. I'm hardly a prude, and it's not a matter of being shocked. I just don't find stuff like that funny at all.

I do find it interesting that Flight of the Conchords can be our common comedic bond.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Kate

Postby Kate » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:54 pm

Gayle wrote:I prefer clever to crass. That and a nice boom. :wink:

Ain't that the truth! ---- Clever to crass, any day! Thanks for the back-up on that. (.... and for the *boom* comment... always appreciated because of the mind picture it conjures each and every time! :hello:)

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:55 pm

Kate wrote:
Gayle wrote:I prefer clever to crass. That and a nice boom. :wink:

Ain't that the truth! ---- Clever to crass, any day! Thanks for the back-up on that. (.... and for the *boom* comment... always appreciated because of the mind picture it conjures each and every time! :hello:)

Got your back sista!
4 out of 3 people have difficulty with fractions.

Kate

Postby Kate » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:36 pm

indigo_jones wrote:No, racist/sexist definitely doesn't go over well with me. I'm hardly a prude, and it's not a matter of being shocked. I just don't find stuff like that funny at all.

I do find it interesting that Flight of the Conchords can be our common comedic bond.

Thanks for the back-up, Ms. Jones-Mc Kenzie! I appreciate it.

I also find it interesting that the Conchords seem to be a "common comedic bond" here, too. But, it's all good, eh? :wink:

Amaria
Half a shapely halibut

Postby Amaria » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:46 pm

Yeah, I don't like sexist/sex jokes either. I'm young and innocent, y'see.

Jimmy Carr (played Kipper, the Conchords' biggest male fan on the BBC show) is fairly brilliant.

Mitch Hedberg (whom Jermaine apparently loves!) is one of my favourites. He has great delivery. "This shirt is dry clean only...which means that its dirty." :rolls:

And vintage Robert Cantrell (Season 1 of Last Comic Standing) was awesome. He got a bit crude, but way back when we was doing grammar and semi-colon jokes, he made me laugh like no other.

Oh! And did anyone watch the short lived sitcom, "Titus"? I thought that was the funniest show in a long time. Christopher Titus' show "Norman Rockwell is Bleeding" is one of the wittiest shows I've seen, hands down.

djdeathskiss
Keeping it funky

Postby djdeathskiss » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:49 pm

LOVE Eddie Izzard...David Cross is pretty funny, too.

I also love other comedy troupes like The Kids in the Hall ("I'm crushing your head!"), Monty Python, and the Comic Strip/Young Ones group from the early 80's.
"Of course i'm home; i'm always home. I'm uncool!" - Lester Bangs, 'Almost Famous'

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:31 pm

In general, my tastes are varied.

I love Doug Anthong Allstars. I posted a thread about them on here a while back. Read it here Now they could swear and be 'bad taste' but I could laugh at them. DAAS is about as bad taste as I care for now. And they broke up years ago :lol:

I adore Eddie Izzard, he is a genius with his comedy. I like BIll Bailey. And a few others. I like British and some Australian humour. It depends on the person tbh. He could be a martian in a silver suit and I might laugh if he pulls his cheeks around a bit and makes a funny noise for 5 minutes. But then I might not :lol: And I like the kind of humour that makes me think.

Maybe its my growing older. Maybe its that I am tired of seeing comedians who are 'angry' in their humour. Its grown old on me. I like smiling at the surreal, laughing at the absurd, but not feeling like I paid £20 for a 90 minute show that then proceeded to contain a four letter swear word every other word, and therefore took up half the show with 3 words or less. Talk about feeling ripped off.

And while I am here, may I just suggest that this thread goes no further with its, how shall we say, vulgarity. Its not for everyone and so far, so good, but I'd not like to to go to the next level. I'll draw the line under it here. We are all adults and I think I don't need to say any more :wink:

Return to “Off topic rambles”