Comedians!

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby tvldiva » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:51 am

Marmalade wrote:Oh tvldiva, I'm so jealous!!! I really wanted to catch him live in LA this tour, but it just didnt work out for me this time. Let us all know how the show was.

He was so wonderful!! It was strange seeing him not only in flats but cowboy boots! But hey, when in Rome..... :wink:

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:01 am

I just saw a George Carlin (RIP) concert he did for HBO in 1978.
He did a whole bit about death and dying. Very eerie, but the whole show made me laugh out loud. Way to go, George!
ps SNL is showing its very first show hosted by Carlin tonight on NBC at 11:30.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Marmalade
Lost but happy at sea

Postby Marmalade » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:58 pm

tvldiva wrote:
Marmalade wrote:Oh tvldiva, I'm so jealous!!! I really wanted to catch him live in LA this tour, but it just didnt work out for me this time. Let us all know how the show was.

He was so wonderful!! It was strange seeing him not only in flats but cowboy boots! But hey, when in Rome..... :wink:

Oh I'm envious! And Wow...cowboy boots!! That would be weird!
Get your hand off my tail... You’ll make it dirty.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:47 am

poptartgirl wrote:Mitch Benn : if you like James Blunt, you may not want to listen to his song :twisted:

"I May Just Have To Murder James Blunt"

http://www.myspace.com/mitchbenn

I just listened to Mitch Benn, and he has a new fan! :rolls: :roll2:
Thanks for the link, Poptartgirl.
Great song! I like his voice - he's got a great instrument. Loved the part where he does his impression of You're Beautiful, and then sings the octaves. Good one. :lol:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby tvldiva » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:01 am

Marmalade wrote:
tvldiva wrote:

Oh I'm envious! And Wow...cowboy boots!! That would be weird!

He looked marvelous! Jeans, cowboy boots, jacket with tails(shiny red lining) and eyeliner. Even from the balcony, you can see his beautiful blue eyes!

Val2150
Stop touching the monkeys

Re: Comedians!

Postby Val2150 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:02 pm

So I just discovered Adam Hills on youtube while looking for stuff on Arj Barker. :lol: I think someone mentioned him in this thread before - holy cow, is he funny! I especially like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM_wlwGdz5w

So...how does a non-Aussie go about finding his DVDs? :hrm:
"You do not choose sexy. Sexy chooses you." -mohumbai mania

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:23 am

Oh, he's great! There's a DVD called World Comedy Tour or something like that that FotC is on and he was on, too. That's how I first heard of him. I've also seen him on Mock the Week or some other British news comedy show.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:10 am

I didn't get a chance to watch it all, but boy, is he funny!!! Thanks for posting the link, Val. I'll have to watch more when I have time.
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:54 pm

I just watched a bunch of Arj clips on youtube and aw laughing so hard I was crying. He's too stinking funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3Q0UnF6yBE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3NQJTy8 ... re=related

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:25 pm

Favorites!

Brian Regan
Jeremy Hotz
Dane Cook
Jim Gaffigan
Nick Swardson
Arj Barker (just listened to when he opened in Ann Arbor last year. This was my first time hearing his standup, and I laughed SO HARD)

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:43 pm

I like a whole mix of people - political, angry, earthy, intellectual. I just really have a hard time with bodily fluids humor, unless it's done really well.

Some of my faves:
Nick Swardson

Love his "Party" album (except for the awful bit at the end) and his Terry on Reno 911!
The cast of Reno 911!
Demetri Martin
Arj Barker
Eugene Mirman
Ron "Tater Salad" White
Dave Attell (when he's not being egged on to be stupid by an audience)
Dave Chapelle
Eddie Izzard
Monty Python
Will Ferrell
Maria Bamford
Wanda Sykes
Patrice O'Neal
CHRIS ROCK!!!!!
Jim Gaffigan
Roseanne (when she's on)
Brian Pohsehn
Taylor Negron
KIDS IN THE HALL
SCTV cast

Oh, I'm sure there are more...
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:51 pm

Kids in the Hall! How could I forget them? So I admit, I'm a huge Buddy Holly fan, and I dated a guy for a couple years who was just a big as fan as I was (I think I've shared the story how he told me he wanted to go to Clear Lake one day on the night of Feb 2nd/ early am Feb 3rd, charter a small twin engine plane from the same airport, and somehow bring down the plane so he could die in the same type of crash in the same general area, etc...he was viry morbid...one of the many reasons we broke up). ANYWAY, KITH did a HILARIOUS take on Buddy Holly (I'd post the youtube clip but there's quite a bit of cussing...but if you're so inclined it's on there :) ), and when Les saw it he went APE. He acted like they were being sacrilegious or something.

:dunno: I thought it was funny...

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:55 pm

Val2150 wrote:So I just discovered Adam Hills on youtube while looking for stuff on Arj Barker. :lol: I think someone mentioned him in this thread before - holy cow, is he funny! I especially like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM_wlwGdz5w

So...how does a non-Aussie go about finding his DVDs? :hrm:

Just go to Amazon UK. They have his DVD's. R2 or multiregion. Check and see.

He is popular over here and spends large chunks of time in the UK. Tours and stuff. I had planned to see him live then was PG and HUGE and it was too far to travel so late in pregnancy :x Next time, next time.

He cracks me up.

Go You Big Red Fire Engine is classic.

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:02 am

Adam Hills is hilarious! He's been on Mock the Week a few times, that's how I got to know about him and decided to check out some of his stuff on YouTube- would definitely recommend people to do that. I meant to see him live a few months ago but I couldn't go because my friend I was meant to go with was ill that night. At first we only heard rumours that he was performing at a particular place but I wanted to be sure so I'd try my luck at sending him a message online. He replied a couple of hours later confirming he was performing at the venue and said he looked forward to seeing me there. Thought it was nice of him to reply in the first place since I wasn't really expecting it! He does tour around UK doing festivals e.g. Edinburgh Fringe, Reading and Leeds Festival as well as London venues. I hope to catch him next time he tours around.

Another Australian comedian to look out for- Chris Lilley. He's not a stand up comedian. He's a comedic actor, known for his mockumentaries We Can Be Heroes and Summer Heights High. He's been compared to the likes of Ricky Gervais, Christopher Guest etc but he really is his own person and is very talented! He fully immerses himself in all the characters he plays including a teenage girl, an unruly teacher, a drama teacher etc. Plus he gets involved with everything in the shows he makes- writing, producing, directing, acting, singing, dancing, composing music etc. Well writing about him won't do him justice, I would just recommend that people give his shows a try :D
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:02 am

Loved Chris Lilley in Summer Heights High!!! :thumb:

It took me a minute to realize he was playing three characters.

I loved his frustrated drama teacher, Mr G, putting on his show - oh my gosh, now those songs are running through my head...
"She's a ..naughty girl with a .. bad habit" :sing:
"Summer Heights High!" :sing:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Return to “Off topic rambles”