Hey, I'm Studying Here!

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Re: Hey, I'm Studying Here!

Postby biscuit » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:44 pm

Congrats, Mock :clap:

Flighty: 3 lines, 17 syllables : 5 - 7 - 5 :wink:

On train now. I just sat outside on the platform, playing the uke all by my alone. A fairly good version of It's A Heartache a la Wellington International Ukulele Orchestra. Probably did look a lot like actual friendly hobo, only slightly less drunk :rock:
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:04 pm

biscuit wrote:Congrats, Mock :clap:

Flighty: 3 lines, 17 syllables : 5 - 7 - 5 :wink:

On train now. I just sat outside on the platform, playing the uke all by my alone. A fairly good version of It's A Heartache a la Wellington International Ukulele Orchestra. Probably did look a lot like actual friendly hobo, only slightly less drunk :rock:

Am playing mime guitar. Slightly drunk. Made a risotto for dinner - man, I could have got drunk just off the wine in that bad boy!

Mockingbird - how does American exam marking work? Here it's A-E at school (fail also an option), and 1st-3rd (with fail also an option) at uni. Assume 4.0 is good - congratulations! :D
It's a psychological analogy

biscuit

Postby biscuit » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:20 pm

Playing mime uke now. On train. Flipping hot and humid and no chance of going downstairs to nap (unless I want to be run over by said train that is). Guy sitting next to me. Could be worse, but would rather sit alone.

Oh horrible hotness
The train feels like a sauna
Without nudity (thank god)

Steel caterpillar
Climbing across the mountains
Travel through the night

They wouldn't let me bring wine or beer back to my seat so I'm drinking coffee now. Not sure what that'll do to my ability to sleep...

DangerMouse
Consistently Mediocre

Postby DangerMouse » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:25 pm

ZebraWarriorPrincess wrote: Mockingbird - how does American exam marking work? Here it's A-E at school (fail also an option), and 1st-3rd (with fail also an option) at uni. Assume 4.0 is good - congratulations! :D

Generally in the US it goes from A-F, where 4.0 being an A and THA FREAKIN' BEST !!!! That is the top of the heap. You generally can not get any better.

Grade / Numeric
A - 4.0
B - 3.0
C - 2.0
D - 1.0
F - 0.0

Wooo !!! Way to go Mock; cause I know that is not an easy feat :clap:

* oops forgot to mention some schools here in the US also add in a +/- to the letter grade and also manipulate the actual percentages the the letter corresponds to. (med and nursing schools A is usually 95 - 100%)
...if anyone needs me I will be in my office doing madlibs...

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:18 am

Congrats, Mock! :clap: :clap: :clap:

That's quite an achievement. :nod:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:27 am

Thanks you guys - I'm pretty psyched about it. It's a big improvement over my previous half-hearted attempts at college. The only problem is that there is no way I can continue to get straight A's all the way through - I'm bound to get a B eventually. It's a lot of pressure. It's like waiting to put that first scratch on a new car, lol.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:37 am

:roll2: :rolls: :bounce:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:51 am

Alright, I'm a later commer to this thread but I'm game for any thread the Kelly is a part of :D:D:D:D

Um college? If I were independantly wealthy I'd go back to school forever. Not beucase of the partying but straight up for the learning. I'm just nerd.

Actually hafter being a writer for over 10 years and not having taken a writing class for 13 years or so, I'm thinking of taking a writing class. I feel like I could use the stimulation and the brush up on AP style. Beucase I work from home I don't spend my work day around other writers and when I did that was a really great experience.

DangerMouse
Consistently Mediocre

Postby DangerMouse » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:17 am

Emafer wrote:Um college? If I were independantly wealthy I'd go back to school forever. Not beucase of the partying but straight up for the learning. I'm just nerd.

Emafer, I am in the same boat so what I have been doing is taking classes at my local community college. It is really cheap and I have even been able to take aviation classes 8) (*currently saving up to give it another go in the Fall)
...if anyone needs me I will be in my office doing madlibs...

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:20 am

Yeah, I'm kind of thinking of taking a class at the college. I also really want to learn how to write grants. I have a really good friend who was a grant writer and writes a lot of grants for the non- profit she runs. I keep trying to tie her down to letting me help her with one but they usually end up being something she crunches for on a deadline and she hasn't really had the time. So I figure that if I take a class that might be good stuff.

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:39 pm

Consider auditing courses you might be interested in, too. Much cheaper that way. You don't get grades, per se, but if you're just doing it for your own interest, it's a good way to go. As long as a class isn't overbooked, you can usually get in.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:21 pm

oooh, great idea Indy!

Corrine
Consistently Mediocre

Postby Corrine » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:51 am

Congrats on the 4.0 Mock! What are you getting your degree in?

ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:33 pm

Well done Mock - now I inderstand the grading system, I am very impressed! :D :rock:

Finally catching up with Russian - had a class today and things going a little better after all the missed classes. All I need now is my uke and I'll be happy
It's a psychological analogy

biscuit

Postby biscuit » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:07 pm

Happiness is a warm uke and basic understanding of the Russian language!

It is a well known fact :lol:

Happiness is not staying up late packing to go on family holiday, but wine helps...and taking breaks to play the uke of course :D

Return to “Off topic rambles”