Hey, I'm Studying Here!

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Re: Hey, I'm Studying Here!

Postby biscuit » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:58 pm

I wonder how the other academicy people are doing?

Dagmar?
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:07 pm

She's not been around for ages...neither has PsychoChique
It's a psychological analogy

dagmar
Half a shapely halibut

Postby dagmar » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:36 pm

biscuit wrote:I wonder how the other academicy people are doing?

Dagmar?

Present! But still not working as hard as I should, thesis-wise...
Per diem means 'for the day', though... Per weekem would be the correct term.

ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:38 pm

Pleased to hear it! (the still being here bit) :D

biscuit

Postby biscuit » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:56 pm

Hey, Dags :D

Feel free to come in here and blow off some steam, if you feel the need. Activity on this thread inspires me to put the uke down and try to do some proper work, once in a while :wink:

Zebra: Proposaling much?

ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:01 pm

Frantically searching for a topic...much googling around the subject, as I have no library currently :(

biscuit

Postby biscuit » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:02 pm

No library?

ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:08 pm

No books...would be easier if I was still in uni..... :evil:

biscuit

Postby biscuit » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:12 pm

Yeah, probably. But isn't there a uni library in your town, or nearby?

Though I'm sure Google Scholar can come up with all sorts of interesting info. Are you pursuing the folk culture thingy? (If you give me a few clues I could let you know if I find something that might interest you.)

ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:21 pm

Think so, yes.
Trying to work out how widespread literacy would have been by then...(1660-1725), how much interest rural people would have had in science ( think many people still believed in magic/witchcraft, at least at the start of the period).
Have to weave the growth of the press in there as welll....
If you find anything interesting let me know :D

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:07 am

OK so I'm like one semester away from finishing my degree. I left school 8 years ago when my mom was diagnosed with MS and I was working so I never went back. But now I'm in discussions with my former student adviser about finishing up my last little bit of school. It would be until spring semester at the earliest and I'd have to move back to Los Angeles while I'm doing it but I'm getting kind of excited. I'm not 100% sure what I want to do with it once I finish but I do know that it opens up a lot more possibilities and if I can get grants and things I'd LOVE to go to grad school. maybe become a research librarian or teach or just write long boring essays on esoteric things that will only ever be read by other big nerds like me hahahahaha.

ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:26 am

Nothing wrong with nerds :D

DangerMouse
Consistently Mediocre

Postby DangerMouse » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:11 pm

Represent ! :geek:

BTW what is your degree going to be in ? And I can atest to the fact that that little peice of paper does open ALOT of doors 8)
...if anyone needs me I will be in my office doing madlibs...

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:11 am

It will be in Comparative Religious Studies :D

biscuit

Postby biscuit » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:51 pm

Viking iconography and the Scandinavian heritage in immigrant communities.

While researching the use of Viking history when I was writing my thesis I came across what I felt were pretty bizarre examples of Viking popularity. Looking for living history societies specializing in Viking reenactment I found groups in both Australia and New Zealand, which to me seemed odd. My reaction may speak more about my own perception of what criteria must be present to reenact history without crossing the line into blasphemy. Like the late great David Lowenthal I worry about the problem of place, the risk of a bastard history where geographical location no longer matters. Lowenthal presented reenactments of American Civil War battles in the UK as examples of a displaced history. I feel the same way about playing Vikings in Australia or even the United States (there is no evidence of Viking presence in North America outside Newfoundland).

But what if we only consider the heritage as represented by people? Shouldn’t Scandinavian immigrants to these places be allowed to display their heritage? :hrm:

Ok, so this was the first thing that caught my eye back in spring… Deliberate representation of history.

Now on to what dawned on me last night at 3 a.m. (the best ideas always strike at night I find :lol: )… - I was reading an article in new zealand herald called a taste of Scandinavia in the Wairarapa. (I am indeed one of those self-absorbed people who like reading about their own culture :lol: ) Anyhoop it turns out to be 4 lines about a place called Norsewood which was founded by Norwegians in the 1870s. I googled the place (as you would) and found some pretty interesting info. There is another place a few miles away called Dannevirke (how the h*** would you pronounce that in English??) which was also founded by Scandinavians (I’m guessing mostly Danes). This is where I finally arrive at the point to story…

This is what the Dannevirke sign looks like:
A longship and a Viking, a Viking with freaking horns on his helmet! What the flip!?!

For reference, this is what the original Dannevirke looks like:
An earth mound stretching the width of the Jutland peninsula, built to defend the Danish territory from attacks from the people of what we now know as Germany.

After having a laugh at the expense of the Kiwi Vikings (turns out Coco was right all along) it dawned on me that I am also represented by the Vikings. Maybe not the kind with the horned helmet (though I'm sad to say I do see such representations at home as well) but a Viking none the less. The most potent symbol of my ethnic/national heritage is a heavily armed terrorist :roll:

Why? What? When? Who?

This is something I would like to explore. As you can see it is still very much on a rambling stage yet :lol: But I think this has potential. I'd like to know what the Vikings mean to people of Scandinavian descent, as well as what they mean to all of us who's forefathers stayed in the old countries. What does the Viking represent in the modern world?

On the practical side of things I am thinking about what form I could use to present this study. In popular form it would probably be fun to both write and read (at least for nerds and history buffs) but I could not expect to get paid to write it. As a scientific study I might weasel my way into having someone give me a grant, but it would limit how the story is told.

Well, there you have the contents of my head, ladies :lol:

Any thoughts?

Return to “Off topic rambles”